• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids suboxone and Imodium for opiate withdrawal

toadlickens

Bluelighter
Hi everyone its been years since I've used this site so my searching may be a bit

rusty. I was reading PhreeX guide to opiate withdrawal and i was wondering if

using Imodium and Suboxone could send me into instant withdrawal, seeing as

Imodium is chemically similar to an opiate agonist like methadone. Any help

would be so helpful as I plan to detox on Friday. Thanks.

Are you detoxing off of a full agonist with bupe and loperamide, or trying to get off of bupe with loperamide?

Either way loperamide can't cross the BBB so it won't effect the CNS but it could get displaced in your gut and give you the runs and such. Since it slightly helps with general withdrawal symptoms it stands to reason abrupt discontinuation of it after constant use would slightly cause general withdrawal symptoms as well.

Last edited:
I will be detoxing from heroin. So i was just curious if i used Imodium during my withdrawal and then took Bupe if the Bupe could send me into instant withdrawal from the Imodium..

Ah I see. I don't think you have anything to worry about except perhaps some bowel issues. I read up a little on it and people who religiously use loperamide for an extended period of time can experience slight opiate withdrawal upon sudden cessation. With all the more powerful stuff running around your body you likely won't notice the effects of loperamide withdrawal if there is any.

Good luck!

If you take low doses of immodium, while taking suboxone you should be ok.. But I have read reports of people who were taking high doses of immodium daily (50-100mg or more) who got precipitated withdrawals when all they had been maintaining on was immodium (loperamide).

So keep the doses low , you'll be alright.

Thanks so much you guys.. I'm at 16 hrs now... God i feel like I would just

rather die.. I injected $25,000 of dope in the last 8 months. I'm so ashamed.:(

At 16hrs, if you feel like complete shit, you can safely dose a small amount of sub (2mg) and see where it takes your. Precipitated withdrawals shouldn't be an issue. When it came to heroin, I would routinely dose sub 10-12 hrs after my last shot with no problems.

I can contribute my first hand experiences with this exact combo. I was taking loperamide to fend off withdrawls during the opiate dry spells in the area I used to live. Loperamide would negate all my withdrawl symptoms and make me feel wonderful, this is often mocked or even labeled as a placebo effect on others on here and has been an age old argument amongst those who have tried it.

I am not trying to start an argument on wether or not it works, that's not my intention at all, but I will say that one time I took 150mg of loperamide and later that night about 8 hours after my consumption of loperamide I took an 8mg suboxone and placed it under my tounge. After about 45 minutes I started to notice very undesireable effects start to take over, including those that could be labeled as 'withdrawl like'. The effects were more on my GI tract than my normal withdrawl symptoms which would of included sweating, nausea and fatigue.

So to wrap up my comments, I think that the suboxone will effect you if combined with loperamide, but not so much in the way that say oxy or morphine would.

depending on your dependency you dont need that much suboxone, but i like suboxone and a benzo combo or subs and tramadol. It works! promise!

Hey, the biggest part of Heroin with-drawl that i found out was the temporary insanity. I mean the feeling that your so bored you have to do something, but you don't wanna do anything, and your thoughts race but you can't focus on anything. You head will start to hurt from it, so if you can i suggest going and getting like 18-1/4 of some high grade kush, and smoking a bowl every 3-5 hours as needed, that way you can lay on the couch and watch tv, and you may still feel sick but that way it's like you have the flu and you not going crazy because your dope sick and dope is all you can think about.

I swear this also seemed to help with my stomach aches and the runs. The bowel movements were aweful, i'd eat a cracker and shit liquid for a half hour. Once i smoked, my stomach ache went away and although i'd still have mostly liquid poop it was no where near as frequent, painful, or intense. I hope this helps you out a little bit bud, stay strong sobriety is worth it, 1000 fold i promise!

With all the more powerful stuff running around your body you likely won't notice the effects of loperamide withdrawal if there is any.

Ironic turn of phrase seeing as immodium is restricted to running a course through just your body and being quartered off from the brain, and the power of the other stuff is just in that it runs amok in your CNS :p in fact, I've heard that if you could treat loperamide with nanoparticles, or directly inject it into the brain or spine, or get it to penetrate the BBB by any means it would be powerful on the scale of fentanyl in terms of mu-agonism potency. (I mean, it is and that is how it stops up your bowel motility so well; the mu-receptors in your gastro-intestinal area, but the euphoriant mu-receptors in your brain and spine relating to pain would be activated on the same measure of efficacy were it there rather than just elsewhere than the CNS in the body).

methylnaltrexone is a Mu-antagonist that doesn't cross the BBB. Imagine co-administration or a methylnaltrexone + full mu-agonist that crosses of any type to prevent the slowed BM motility that opioids create. In much the same manner as naloxone & bupe are placed together to make a kicker; but my reason would be for better maintenance and efficacy of the drug's purpose in the medical community from the get-go.

Hey there...just wanted to comment and ask how it all went. Also felt compelled since you are a fellow PNW resident. I am taking my last bit of H tonight and doing at home detox with the help of family and friends, some who've been there, some who have not. We are about to leave on our final shopping trip and I keep hearing that everyone swears by the Immodium, but I had no idea that it was anywhere near an opiate like medicine.

I want to wait as long as possible before I take my first bit of Suboxone, because even though I trust the Bluelighters (as a whole) far more than any of my doctors, I am still scared about the whole naloxone thing. But Subutex has been impossible for me to find on the street (or online) and same with Clonidine (which friends have recommended from their stays in detox places before. It has been super easy to find benzo's and opiates online and on the street, imagine that!

So I still can't decide what to do about the Immodium, so to the OP Mr/Mrs ToadLickens, what was the verdict with you? I'm torn, but I'm going to get some other stuff of PhreeX list and some of my own personal favs (chocolate, hellloooo!) like Gatorade and sweets and some ingredients for easy on the tummy rice dishes and I'll prob pick up some loperamide product just in case I find some testimonials or hard scientific data that makes me feel safe enough to take it.

Went through P/W's once, although I didn't know what it was at the time, and that was hell. Falling out and having complete nastiness all over skid row is NOT fun.

Last edited:
What the Suboxone Drs. are saying is that you have to be in your 6-12th hour of w/d before the SUBOXONE will work properly. I did this w/ not to sick in the Drs. office he gave me a half a tablet and in 20-30 minutes you feel ok. Not sick,not high then they adjust your dose from there. Some Drs.like the cash and want you to come 2x a month and the normal ones will say once a month w/ a suprise urine test somewhere down the line.