Wayne Anthony - class of 88....bit of history rave/dance music/ecstasy

mister

Bluelighter
thought id upload this as I found it a good read for the "yoof" to have some idea of the rave/dance music scene of the early 80's and 90's and us oldies to reminisce

Review
"What went on behind the Acid House dream? The raves and huge dance parties of the late-1980s changed the face of popular culture, as hundreds of thousands of youngsters enjoyed the illicit thrills of ecstacy and vast, illegal "all-nighters". Yet beneath the bright surface was a world of drug deals, violence, exploitation, protection rackets and armed robbery. In this book, Wayne Anthony tells the story of his two years as an illegal dance party organizer and promoter. In those two years he was beaten up, menaced by criminals and blackmailers, confronted with sawn-off shotguns, kidnapped and threatened with murder."

Let me know what you all think

(mods this is freely available on the net, so its not an illegal download")

LINK: http://www.filesonic.com/file/174012592/Classof88_originalpaperbackbook_2007v2.pdf

Since the thread on this in Aus DD was shut, I'll repost here.

Felt quite emotional when he was describing taking ecstasy for the first few times.

Also noted the point about his drunken violent mates scorning the love drug at first and stating they would punch anyone who tried to hug them. Then later on they turn up at a party high as and hugging people! It's kind of the direct opposite of what has happened to the festival scene here in the last 5 or so years. Used to be gurners hugging everyone, now we have terrible drunken brawls at electronic music events

Also enjoying looking up some of the tunes he mentions on youtube.

Possible end spoiler here:

NSFW:
At the end of the book Wayne talks about what might be the possible long term negative effects of consuming MDMA. The book suggests that the full extent of the brain damage caused by ecstasy will be known soon and that then people will stop slowly killing them selves with it. Now the book was released in 1998. I wonder if the author has a different view now? I don't recall reading reports of thousands of people with brain damage from taking MDMA in the late 80s.

I'd be interested to get his current take on that possible spoiler as well.

I wonder what he's up to these days

:D

glad you all found it interesting and it does bring back some good memories. As far as I know Wayne Anthony is still active around the traps, I was actually a member of his yahoo group and he used to post music, flyers and anything relating to the early scene, funny enough I havnt received anything from that group for months.

EDIT: found the yahoo group, its called acidhouse88 and heres the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/acidhouse88/files/