Open Discussion Stamp Thread in the North & South American Social & Drug Discussion Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this said, stamp thread is legit. One stupid person who relies on some review over the internet for stamp then OD's does NOT outweigh the number of people who will choose not to use a bag because of a review about a hot shot/bad cut, or choose to do half the usual dose because of a review.
Users of that thread specifically looked for the strongest rated stamps and avoided the weaker ones. And it had nothing to do with avoiding overdoses or bad cuts. It was all about getting the best dope. So, assuming that one could accurately measure quality, given all the factors, and that the stamps were consistent, an argument can be made that the thread was just there to get people higher. That's not HR.

^Taking what you just said in mind I'd like to add something because that I'm sure is definitely one of the primary reasons many people used the stamp thread. So I"m not going to argue that people used the stamp thread in order to either A. Save money or B. Get higher, but that in a less direct way than other HR methods can lead to users not having to steal more money, not have to commit a crime to get that money and overall hurt less people. I know that this is a stretch, but I just wanted to add because of what you had mentioned.

I think that the ability to just save users money can be HR in and of itself because it could lead to that user having a higher quality of life due to not having to waste more money on heroin and then having that money to buy food, pay bills, etc. That alone could help a lot of people in a lot of ways imo.

• Stamp threads tend to be inaccurate even under the best of conditions
  • Stamp threads inevitably lead to sourcing problems
  • Even when such a thread approaches accuracy regionally, BL is an international board
  • The answer that mods just need to be stringent doesn't address the harm reduction/harm production ratio involved. tons of vigilance for a weak potential harm reduction and possible harm producing thread doesn't warrant mods going full throttle. Mods do a lot for the reward of helping HR. A kinda might, but maybe might be counterproductive doesn't generate enthusiasm for me, I suspect many mods would feel the same.

As CH and others have said, there is already a 'Dangerous dope stamp' thread here. Additions and updates have to be made by moderators, which provides harm reduction while eliminating sourcing issues.

If someone knows of a harmful stamp, they can contact a staff member and have it added there. Otherwise it doesn't need to turn into a stamp rating/sourcing bonanza. The amount of moderation needed to keep an open stamp thread operating within guidelines would be gargantuan.

Bricks & Stacks said:
....so...is that an end to that idea then?
I think the consensus at this time is that the HR value is slightly positive to seriously counterproductive. The thread would be a pain to moderate. No forum on BL wants it at this time. So not the end of an idea since ideas are pretty hard to kill but I think it is safe to say it will not happen on BL in the foreseeable future.

When problematic threads are permitted its because a team of mods likes the idea and wants to dedicate themselves to keeping it in line and making it work. No one is proposing they want it or can make it workable. Previous stamp threads were constant problems by what I have read. So yeah, for the time being its pretty much over.

I think the consensus at this time is that the HR value is slightly positive to seriously counterproductive. The thread would be a pain to moderate. No forum on BL wants it at this time. So not the end of an idea since ideas are pretty hard to kill but I think it is safe to say it will not happen on BL in the foreseeable future.

When problematic threads are permitted its because a team of mods likes the idea and wants to dedicate themselves to keeping it in line and making it work. No one is proposing they want it or can make it workable. Previous stamp threads were constant problems by what I have read. So yeah, for the time being its pretty much over.

Did you not see how the whole thing got started this isn't just out of the blue Johnnyblue said he was fine with it over at nsasdd I would link you the thread but I'm on my phone. Also tommyboy supported the idea and is now a mod in that same forum.

In the end it will be the moderators of NASADD who make the decision with input from their SMODS and approval from admin.

I went searching through older staff threads for more history on stamp threads and what sorts of problems they presented and I found out something very pertinent that I didn't know before.

After the last 'Stamp Thread' situation because of overt sourcing and constant problems a site wide ban on stamp threads was declared that has not been lifted. I didn't see it because it happened when I wasn't on staff when it happened.

There have been many incarnations of a stamp thread on BL and apparently they have all ended badly. I wish I was aware of this earlier. I had kept this open under the impression a stamp thread could be undertaken. knowing that it isn't an option I don't see a point in keeping this open. Apologies for my ignorance about the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.