• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine cough syrup

Lillady1985

Bluelighter
I've got some Prometh/codeine 6.25/10 syrup that was prescribed to me in march of 09. I saved it. It says discard after march of 2010. Is it still okay to take? Does it actually expire? It say take one teaspoon every four hours as needed for cough and don't take more than prescribed or serious breathing problems will occur...hmmm is this true or to scare me?

The codeine is still active and so is the promethazine. They take years and years to lose effect, the expiration date is always 1 year for every drug you get at a pharmacy - it's a business thing, nothing more.

Codeine can cause respiratory depression, but not in the doses you got in that bottle. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Have fun with it, but be safe. :)

What would be a good dose of it for a nice feeling? I'm pretty opiate naive. I take a hydro 10 here and there and don't feel much off it...

What would be a good dose of it for a nice feeling? I'm pretty opiate naive. I take a hydro 10 here and there and don't feel much off it...

I'd say 60-90 mg of codeine should be a nice start. I think that would get you feeling very good, in fact.

The promethazine will also add to the respiratory depression of the codeine, so you do need to be careful there.

edit - its 10mg of codeine per teaspoon. Be careful with the promethazine dosage. I've found that I'm fairly sensitive to it and can experience some of the deliriant effects even at low dosages.

Possibly agitation, confusion, irritability. Unlikely but possibly minor to severe hallucinations

That sounds like a lot! How much codeine is in the one teaspoon dose??

Ok, to be safe start low - like 30 or 40 mg of codeine and wait for a little bit (15-20 mins max because this is liquid and absorbs quickly). See how you feel and go up from there. I think 60 mg codeine/37.5 mg promethazine would be a perfect starting dose, personally and I would start with that.

The promethazine in the cough syrup is a very low dose. Normally adults are given 50 mg for sleep, so you don't have much to worry about.

Last edited:
What would deliriant effects be?

My experience was unusual (as in it's a rarity at the dosage) but I had taken 50mg of promethazine and in addition to feeling agitated I was having these weird visual hallucinations where it looked like the entire room was chopped up into bits and flying around at a high rate of speed. Really bizarre.

I had pneumonia at the time and was really, really sick so that likely contributed to my sensitivity at that time.

My experience was unusual (as in it's a rarity at the dosage) but I had taken 50mg of promethazine and in addition to feeling agitated I was having these weird visual hallucinations where it looked like the entire room was chopped up into bits and flying around at a high rate of speed. Really bizarre.

I had pneumonia at the time and was really, really sick so that likely contributed to my sensitivity at that time.

WoW! You are very sensitive to promethazine. 50 mg is the starting dose for adults with insomnia.

The pneumonia for sure added to the sensitivity.

recently expired meds arnt dangerous,its just weaker than usual...100mgs is a good start.oh remember also codeine redoseing too soon dont make you higher.the promethazine will take care of the itch but too much can ruin the fun

Is there a way you can extract the codeine from the Prometh, using any type of cold extraction process?

I just picked up a bottle today since I got a bad cough from maybe smoking too many cigs and weed combined. I went to the doc and they gave me a script cause my throat has a bit inflammation. It is a syrup, but I know cold separates opiates to some degree, but I don't know how prometh separation works.

Short answer, no, at least nothing easy...

Plus, if you have the right preparation AKA the purple not the red, you should be o.k. and drinking a nice triple or quadruple dose mixed with the beverage of your choice.

Lucky! Drink 1/2 the bottle mixed with a touch of cola, wait 3 or 4 hours then drink the rest

I've got some Prometh/codeine 6.25/10 syrup that was prescribed to me in march of 09. I saved it. It says discard after march of 2010. Is it still okay to take? Does it actually expire? It say take one teaspoon every four hours as needed for cough and don't take more than prescribed or serious breathing problems will occur...hmmm is this true or to scare me?

I was prescribed the same exact thing for bronchitis this past fall. As long as the seal is good I can't see why it affect the prometh/cod, as stated above I think the 1 year is for business purposes too.

I was prescribed a 4 oz bottle =120 mL
Teaspoon= 5mL~
24 doses of 6.25/10 =240 mg of codeiene.

A friend of mine and I had split a Oxy 80mg(moderate amount for us) and we drank 2 oz(s) each (120 mg) and we nodded off to sleep. Usually a 40 mg oxy would only have us high for an hour or two. Later that week I was still sick and the I convinced the doctor into prescribing 1 re-fill and a stronger anti-biotic. This time I just did the bottle myself and felt some europhia/buzz for while but nothing special.

Recap: I would dose about an oz= 12 teaspoons= 60mg and see how you feel ianything and go from there(takes 15-45 mins to kick in), however if you have the opportunity to, I would highly recommend combining with another opiate, codeine is pretty low on the list of opiate strength, hence why its OTC in Canada. Maybe buy a 10mg hydro split it and dose an oz or two of the syrup. It really depends if you just want to nod off and go to sleep(drink it all, in your case you might get sick) or actually enjoy the effects. Also mix with sprite :)

I know how that feels. :(

You need to wait longer, it will come back.

But I know for a fact that codeine doesn't work for everybody. Even some opiate naive people will not get high from codeine.:(

Ok I just woke up from a really deep sleep! :)

Anyways thanks for the replies. Codeine is weaker than vicodin. :( I will try upping my dose to your recreational levels.

I tried to catch that feeling of an opiate buzz, like something from my oxycontin days. But it wasn't even close. I didn't feel it at all :(

I wish I could get my hands on some OC's... I used to be able to get OC-30's. They have really cracked down on the illegal distribution of this drug in my area, its dry. Its a blessing in another way, cause I was pretty hooked on that shit and was unable to kick it for a while.

You won't get an experience similar to oxycodone no matter how much Codeine you drink. For someone who has used Oxycodone multiple times you will need around 200-250mg or more to feel any similarities at all. You can't expect a high anything like oxycodone but its possible to feel some of the sedation and heavy eyes. You won't get that body high/warmth and blissful stimulation. People who have taken oxycodone usually can't get high from codeine syrup unless they drink at least half the bottle and this isn't a good idea because of the Promethazine content. Just try to except the fact you won't get a high like oxycodone.

^Yes, codeine is always going to disappoint if you're looking for the effects of a strong opiate, because it isn't a strong opiate. It is very pleasant, though, if quite subtle, and it seems to be a learned high- the first time you take it it seems rubbish, but the more often you use it the more you appreciate it. I've used morphine and fentanyl in the past, and I can still enjoy 100mg of codeine.

Unfortunately I don't think 100mg of Codeine would even help with the symptoms of withdrawal for me. I can barely remember when I was able to get off on Codeine but I remember my first dose was 120mg and it worked.

Yeah, if you use opiates with any degree of regularity it's a total waste of time. As a non-tolerant user, though, I'm looking forward to eating 120mg later, which should have me feeling nice. Not amazing, but nice.