Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Anxiety Sufferers...Have you tried CURCUMIN

imaginaryhero

Greenlighter
This is my first post and i enjoy reading the forums.

I suffer from major anxiety, massive fight or flight reactions, possible BDD, and depression.

I have been self medicating with some codeine OTC which i find pretty much works a treat but i dont abuse it and usually only have a max of 3 tablets a day but i do find codeine definately helps but i dont want to build tolerance.

Anyway my purpose was to ask if anyone has tried CURCUMIN for their anxiety. I have been using this for months and find it definately helps a lot and probably helps me cope a lot better. There is a massive amount of research on curcumin and stress and how it regulates the HPA axis. This is one supplement i would definately not be without. I could share the brand i use but i dont want this to sound like an ad but make sure you go for a enhanced absorption brand that uses BCM95 its called.

Anyway, please let me know if anyone has tried it or wants to know more. Just wanted to help some people who might be at wits end with their anxiety and want to try something else. I know how bad it sucks. cheers.

when im out and i get anxious eben if it 10 in the mornin i just buy beers bro really takes the edge off shit, an dw man im a fuckn nervous wrek but it work for me

when im out and i get anxious eben if it 10 in the mornin i just buy beers bro really takes the edge off shit, an dw man im a fuckn nervous wrek but it work for me

Damn that's some good advice right there. Wish my doc told me that :(

Genuine LOL.

Good luck OP. Im sure Mr Blonde or another Mod will pop in, there full of great advice with these topics :)

^ I don't see a problem, my doctor prescribed me a fifth of vodka morning and night for my panic attacks. 8)

This is an interesting thread, I've read about curcumin before but not in a while. If you do try it as a supplement, you need a formula that contains something like piperine or oils to help it absorb properly. Or cook it into a curry. :)

It may be a metabolite of curcuin that is responsible for it's effects on nerve growth which is theorized to be it's impact on depression and anxiety, since curcumin apparently doesn't cross into the Blood-Brain-Barrier (possibly because of those hydroxy groups...).

I will have to do some research on this today. :)

Nah, MB, you're wrong. It has potential MAO-A inhibition qualities in it.

MAO-A inhibitors are like selegeline etc. etc. so no sir, it's all placebo.

^ Uh... what? It's an MAO-A inhibitor, yet it's a placebo?

And the studies that have been done (though probably limited) seem to bear me out as being correct.

If we were rats we would be over the moon, but the studies are promising. Heres the study that got me onto curcumin....

Curcumin reverses the effects of chronic stress on behavior, the HPA axis, BDNF expression and phosphorylation of CREB
- Ying Xua, Baoshan Ku, a, , Lu Tiea, Haiyan Yaoa, Wengao Jianga, Xing Maa and Xuejun Lia

Curcuma longa is a major constituent of the traditional Chinese medicine Xiaoyao-san, which has been used to effectively manage stress and depression-related disorders in China. Curcumin is the active component of curcuma longa, and its antidepressant effects were described in our prior studies in mouse models of behavioral despair. We hypothesized that curcumin may also alleviate stress-induced depressive-like behaviors and hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal (HPA) axis dysfunction. Thus in present study we assessed whether curcumin treatment (2.5, 5 and 10 mg/kg, p.o.) affects behavior in a chronic unpredictable stress model of depression in rats and examined what its molecular targets may be. We found that subjecting animals to the chronic stress protocol for 20 days resulted in performance deficits in the shuttle-box task and several physiological effects, such as an abnormal adrenal gland weight to body weight (AG/B) ratio and increased thickness of the adrenal cortex as well as elevated serum corticosterone levels and reduced glucocorticoid receptor (GR) mRNA expression. These changes were reversed by chronic curcumin administration (5 or 10 mg/kg, p.o.). In addition, we also found that the chronic stress procedure induced a down-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) protein levels and reduced the ratio of phosphorylated cAMP response element-binding protein (pCREB) to CREB levels (pCREB/CREB) in the hippocampus and frontal cortex of stressed rats. Furthermore, these stress-induced decreases in BDNF and pCREB/CREB were also blocked by chronic curcumin administration (5 or 10 mg/kg, p.o.). These results provide compelling evidence that the behavioral effects of curcumin in chronically stressed animals, and by extension humans, may be related to their modulating effects on the HPA axis and neurotrophin factor expressions.

Last edited:

fuck Ive laughed at that everytime Ive read it.. guess its true but

Good for anxiety o question

Hey I just wanted to put my .10 in here. Alright two cents. I have OCD with generalized anxiety disorder and acute panic attacks. I have been taking 4 mg of Ativan the day for a decade. I also have SLE and take Turmeric for lupus flares. (I just buy the spice at the health food store & encapsulate it myself an eighth of a teaspoon a day) I have definitely noticed a sedative effect. My anxiety is fairly high in the morning, and recently since I've been taking Turmeric in the morning, the results are notable. I don't know about the anti-inflammatory effects however that will take a little more time.

you can buy curcumin + Piperine already in caps from ebay incredibly cheap, I got 5 x 60 385mgs + 15mgs Piperine for under $50. Curcumin needs to have the Piperine/black pepper added to aid absorption, cooking with curcumin may also help absorption

I support the nomination.

@mister whats your 2c on curcumin, if youv had a chance to try it yet

It SEEMS to work but the effects are not that noticeable. I sometimes drink alcohol when I get anxious but find if I over do it my anxiety comes back worse in the following days. Codiene, which I enjoy in small doses (60-90mgs on an empty stomach gives me a nice buzz) does help anxiety but I feel dumbed down on it.

I went to the docs and asked him to prescribe me atenolol which is a beta blocker, I only take half a 50mg tab when I feel anxious and it works great, its mainly prescribed for high blood pressure but off label for anxiety, a lot of public speakers and classic musicians apparently use beta blockers before getting on stage.