• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Keep MDMA Harm Reduction in Perspective

While we all have an interest in reducing harm, I sometimes feel that the caution here is over the top when discussing ecstasy. In all comparison studies I have read over the years; in terms both of dependence and harm, MDMA/ecstasy is safer than tobacco and alcohol (and less dependent than cannabis.)

While generally true, it's important to remember that it's not the drugs that are dangerous, but the patterns of use and behavior that accompany them.

The context of raving, i.e. loud music, sustained exertion, lack of sleep, hanging out in crowded places, little food intake, and repeated dosing, is one that should be treated with caution. Attempting to prolong the effects of any anorectic stimulant is going to lead to issues if done repeatedly; the body needs food and rest, and while these are often taken in excess in the sober corners of society the opposite is present here. The big problems we see are hyperthermia and hyponatremia, drug effects which do not exist in a vacuum. The former is suspected as a major contributing factor to any possible neurotoxic effects, which is not surprising as elevated body temperature can cause such on its own, absent any worries about quinone metabolites or monoamine transporters.

Combined usage of MDMA and other recreational substances presents additional concerns.

While generally true, it's important to remember that it's not the drugs that are dangerous, but the patterns of use and behavior that accompany them.

The context of raving, i.e. loud music, sustained exertion, lack of sleep, hanging out in crowded places, little food intake, and repeated dosing, is one that should be treated with caution. Attempting to prolong the effects of any anorectic stimulant is going to lead to issues if done repeatedly; the body needs food and rest, and while these are often taken in excess in the sober corners of society the opposite is present here. The big problems we see are hyperthermia and hyponatremia, drug effects which do not exist in a vacuum. The former is suspected as a major contributing factor to any possible neurotoxic effects, which is not surprising as elevated body temperature can cause such on its own, absent any worries about quinone metabolites or monoamine transporters.

Combined usage of MDMA and other recreational substances presents additional concerns.

So well said!

I think this combination/pattern of MDMA use ALONG WITH sleep deprivation, loud/fast music, dancing, sustained exertion, over-dosing, etc. may account for so many people saying that they either have tolerance issues or depression/hang overs afterward.

I never experienced these things and did ecstasy on back to back days, weekend after weekend, month after month for a year. This was back in 2006 in Ireland (so there is a chance that the pills were purer too without any piperazines in them!)

But I always did one pill, usually topping up with another at 1.5 hours and would just be chilling at home with my wife with candles lit and enjoying the loved up feeling all night. I never experienced the depression or the tolerance issues that others seem to. Neither did my wife or any of our friends that would be doing it.

So perhaps there is a correlation between these things and those behaviors that I never took part in while doing E?

legalise mdma, sell it at off-licenses to over 21s in controlled doses eg 2 doses of 100 mg. there problem solved.................................... if only it was that easy.