• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Layers of Concerta 36mg ER

This source seems pretty good http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/8382 but I couldn't find the specific data anywhere. Judging from the times listed below...

Absorption: Methylphenidate is readily absorbed. Following oral administration of CONCERTA® XL to adults the drug overcoat dissolves, providing an initial maximum drug concentration at about 1 to 2 hours. The methylphenidate contained in the two internal drug layers is gradually released over the next several hours.

I would say approximately a third of the active ingredient is contained within the instant release layer.

I hate just tossing my opinion out there sans substantiation but I got a bunch of these last summer and played around with them and searched around some and couldn't find data specifically listing how much is in the white outer layer.

From what I could tell it was about 10-15mg but that's pure speculation.

Hopefully someone can post something more definitive.

Concerta looks like this

Concerta.GIF

Left is a normal untouched pill. On the right is showing what happens when it touches water.

Couple things to remember.

1. The outer layer is 22% of the total dosage of the pill. Don't rinse it off or anything like that, you're wasting 22% of the total methylphenidate in the pill. The best way to do it is to just suck off the coating.

2. Underneath the outer shell you will see 3 different colored compartments, encapsulated by wax with a hole at the top. Only 2 of those compartments contain methylphenidate.. the 3rd compartment (brown) contains a substance that expands when water enters it to push out the other two compartments over a period of 6 hours or so. This is what gives concerta its extended release.

Soo. If you have a 36mg concerta, the outer layer would contain:
7.92mg

^THANK YOU for providing a real figure. I felt dirty speculating above, and for good reason - I was wrong.

As a side note, although these pills are a bitch to abuse, I marvel at the technology of this pill. It took me a razor blade and an annoying amount of time to just make these IR.

As a side note, although these pills are a bitch to abuse, I marvel at the technology of this pill. It took me a razor blade and an annoying amount of time to just make these IR.

thiiisssss. very hard to abuse, yet very interesting structure

Here's a question about Concerta I have yet to find an answer for, and I've looked all over the net.
Once you remove the outer shell and expose the interior, there are the three layers, one dark green and two lightly colored.
The green is apparently just part of the release mechanism.
But what the heck is the difference between the two lightly colored layers in the capsule?
In the 36mg cap the top layer near the dimple is white, and beneath that the powder is yellow.
All sources concur that both these layers contain methylphenidate, so why the variation in color?

^ for the second time in this thread - here is some pure speculation... perhaps it is just released at a different speed to ensure more steady plasma levels so there aren't peaks and troughs.

If anyone does know for sure, I'd be very interested to learn.

That's right - I read the earlier speculation, it does seem likely that it's just a variation in the formulation.
I agree with this speculation, but I have yet to find anyone with a definitive answer as to what the difference really is.
Also, is the white inner part pure methylphenidate like the original ritalin pill?

We need a chemist from Shire to help us out here ;)

can you please help me out with a question. so i know the most outer layer contains 22% of the drug. But what about the next gel seethrough layer, does that have any? and if i want t parachute do i have to get rid of that gel layer or will it still be instant release

^ the hard layer between the outer IR part and the the rest of the pill? That does not, it'll actually come out unchanged in pill-shape in your shit for most people which is either weird as hell or awesome depending on perspective. It just holds the rest of the contents of the pill in place for hours in the stomach so the methylphenidate is slowly released by the "push compartment" filling up with water and pushing the drug out.

If you want to parachute it, I'd cut the push compartment off completely then peel the hard shell off before crushing.

Yes according to the diagram (refer to figure A) that part of the pill should be water insoluble which is why it's used to house the drug and time release "push" device which expands upon contact with water.