• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

OTC substitutes for Opiates and Benzos

Good to hear you finally had a win with both your drug habit and mental health

Slowly ween yourself off the benzos/opiates/whatever and become a pisshead.. Problem solvered!

EDIT: That last bit was probably bad advice.. If you don't mind me askin, how old were you when you started abusin benzoes/opiates?

Last edited:
I went to the chemist and asked for Phenergan (promethazine) explaining i wanted it for sleep. The pharmacist ended up giving me Restavit (doxylamine succinate) instead. Apparently it's actually listed for insomnia where as Phenergan isn't. It's supposed to be a little better for sleep too. I don't know how much truth there is to these statements, I'm just quoting one of the local pharmacists.

Anyway i just took one of these 25mg Restavit.. we'll see how it works for sleep.

Doxylamine is the most sedating antihistamine, and with a somewhat shorter half-life then promethazine so the next day drowsiness doesn't last quite so long. I like it in combination with opioids, you can develop a tolerance to the sedative effects though.

Was using them for 3 years and there were times which were on a daily basis. Evil evil shit, I dont find benzos hard to stop at all and didnt experience WDs but with opiates oh man, not something u want to mess around with.

Doxylamine is the most sedating antihistamine, and with a somewhat shorter half-life then promethazine so the next day drowsiness doesn't last quite so long. I like it in combination with opioids, you can develop a tolerance to the sedative effects though.

I ended up taking a second dose of 25mg because i was still unable to sleep. I did eventually fall asleep not to long after, but i can't attribute this to Doxylamine for certain. I also slept for 15hrs but that's not uncommon for me. The doctor says my difficulty falling asleep and then sleeping too long (hypersomnia) is to do with my depression.

I'll keep trying it but i don't think it feels that sedating (at least not after my initial contact with it).

^ Everyone reacts differently to different drugs; it's just our individual bio-chemical make up and all sorts of factors that we don't understand as of yet. :)

Keep trying the doxylamine, maybe 50mg at once?

Are you getting help for your depression?

Yeah I'm getting help. Thanks :)

It seriously worked that little for me that I'm going to try a 75mg dose and cross my fingers.

After 100mg of Doxylamine and 30mg of Temazepam it still took me at least 2hrs to get to sleep.. :(

Sustanon -- how are u feeling? Sorry to derail the conversation on Doxylamine, but u mentioned herbal stuff so I wanted to elaborate on kava kava.

If u do try kava, ime obtaining the correct species was important as I read on erowid. I used the Awa Mahakea variety from Hawaii, which was supposedly composed of 90% lateral roots. I did a cold water extraction bc other methods like oil and alcohol extractions release toxic substances that harm the liver. The effects were surprisingly significant and positive (even though I was addicted to methamphetamine and oxycontin and had a decent tolerance); it was like a downer, upper w no anxiety, and empathogen; however, the taste is sooo bad, I only did it like 10 or so times. Thinking about it makes me want to puke.

http://kavaliverlawsuit.com/2007-Kava-Kava-Report.html "The World Health Organization report confirms that Kava acetonic and ethanolic extracts can be toxic to the liver and dangerous. These dangerous extracts are used in most capsules sold in health food stores. The traditional kava preparation which has been prepared for centuries in water, apparently does not have the same risk of liver injury as the health food supplement products."

Also, Sustanon, how is ur blood pressure? What symptoms besides sleeplessness are you experiencing?

Before suboxone, I used clonidine to help with w/d and blood pressure. Its not over OTC in the US but it's easy to get scripted and it's a great overall w.d med (dont know about the benzos though). I would make sure to have a doctor help you taper off the benzos bc sometimes w/d from benzos can take many days to arrive, which can be extremely dangerous.

Also, did u try any herbal concoctions? Any success or failures? Just curious bc herbs rarely work on me (I must be doing something wrong or have a fucked up system).

Cheers for the detailed response. Feeling 100% since I have stopped using opies n benzos. Came to release the more u use em (benzos) the worst ur anxiety will be later on without them. Sort of like a rebound effect which isnt pleasant. I tried numerous things even kava kava that i made myself from fresh stuff, tried passionflower/damiana/skullcap/malungu. Drank it in a tea n smoked too. All it did is make little bit calmer (maybe was a placebo? ) but yeah didnt do too much. I find that the greeny helps alot as well especially sleep, appetite and stress relief. Its actually helped me pull my life back together.

It works out much much cheaper to simply buy it from overseas though. All legit so long as it's under 3 months personal use quantities :) The stuff that I've seen naturopaths in QLD dispense has been in formulas with a bunch of other vitamins etc.

like Proxan one i picked up a few years ago at an absorbent price:

*Proxan is a 5htp capsule which includes this
100mg 5-Hydroxy-tryptophan
100mg S-adenosyl methionine
100mg dl-Phenylalanine
50mg potassium phosphate (monobasic)

After 100mg of Doxylamine and 30mg of Temazepam it still took me at least 2hrs to get to sleep.. :(

did you lay day in bed with the lights off trying to sleep?

if you're up and about you're only fighting their effects. good sleep hygiene is imperative more so when using sedative to combat insomnia for eg,

did you lay day in bed with the lights off trying to sleep?

if you're up and about you're only fighting their effects. good sleep hygiene is imperative more so when using sedative to combat insomnia for eg,

I was in bed. In the dark quiet. :(

my pet dino has heard that immodium is kinda like opiates in high doses, I can also compare dxm a little but to it ans of course the imfamous poppy seed tea.... and the RC (i think) Tramadole. Hope this helps!