• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Vyvanse - S489 vs. NRP104, Am I nuts?

Mr-Tambourine-Man

Bluelighter
Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid, but I've noticed something extremely interesting and troubling about my Vyvanse. I usually fill it in Winfield as I get a discount at the pharmacy there. However, I filled my last prescription in Wichita. This last month the medication did not seem to be working nearly as well. My hyperactivity and restlessness were reduced as usual but my focus was nonexistent, I was fatigued and foggy headed. I attributed this to tolerance and the fact that I have been working so much. I felt I would simply require a stronger dose to achieve symptom control now that I'm more active. Yesterday I filled my script in Winfield and took my medication at the normal time this morning. Viola, it suddenly began working as it had before! I had some pills remaining from last month and compared them to my new supply. Lo and behold, last month's pills are imprinted with S489 and this month's with NRP104! So I did a bit of cyber-sleuthing and discovered that the NRP104s are produced by New River Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Shire and are the original product. The NRP104s are being replaced by the S489s, which are manufactured directly by Shire. The formula is supposed to be the same but complaints are popping up online and the difference in effect is tremendously noticeable. No wonder my housemates have been complaining of my forgetfullness and inattention.

Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid, but I've noticed something extremely interesting and troubling about my Vyvanse. I usually fill it in Winfield as I get a discount at the pharmacy there. However, I filled my last prescription in Wichita. This last month the medication did not seem to be working nearly as well. My hyperactivity and restlessness were reduced as usual but my focus was nonexistent, I was fatigued and foggy headed. I attributed this to tolerance and the fact that I have been working so much. I felt I would simply require a stronger dose to achieve symptom control now that I'm more active. Yesterday I filled my script in Winfield and took my medication at the normal time this morning. Viola, it suddenly began working as it had before! I had some pills remaining from last month and compared them to my new supply. Lo and behold, last month's pills are imprinted with S489 and this month's with NRP104! So I did a bit of cyber-sleuthing and discovered that the NRP104s are produced by New River Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Shire and are the original product. The NRP104s are being replaced by the S489s, which are manufactured directly by Shire. The formula is supposed to be the same but complaints are popping up online and the difference in effect is tremendously noticeable. No wonder my housemates have been complaining of my forgetfullness and inattention.

Have you compared the inactive ingredients? This might be a contributing factor.

Do you take regular breaks from your medication? Amphetamine tachyphylaxis is almost inevitable if you use your medication on an every day basis.

I don't take regular breaks because I become so fatigued without the meds? Anything I can do about this? Would a doc prescribe two doses, one lower for drug holidays, so that I could lower my tolerance and still get out of bed?