• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

PTSD and MDMA Therapy - Medical Uses of Ecstasy - Oprah

Cloudy

Bluelight Crew
MDMA—the active ingredient in the party drug Ecstasy—has been reviled as a menace, a scourge, and even a killer. Now some therapists claim it can help light the way out of a traumatic past and beyond the painful feelings that keep us from the life we want.

Sarah lived in a basement for a few weeks when she was a child. But in a way, she lived there much of her life.

Her father terrorized their family. He hit her, threw hot coffee at her, locked her in closets. Once, he held a gun to her sister's head. The winter Sarah was 11, she brought in the wrong wood for the fireplace, so her father locked her in the family's unfinished concrete basement. Her meals were brought to the top of the stairs. It was a freezing Christmas in Pennsylvania, more than 30 years ago.

Sarah eventually left home for college, earned a master's degree in education, had a son. Surprisingly, she stayed in close contact with her parents. But the sound of a door clicking shut made her heart pound; if her dog barked, electric sparks shot through her limbs. At a party, she'd struggle to follow the conversation; the room would spin and the lights would smear; her ears rang with blurring voices. She slept badly, and always with the windows open and the doors unlocked. "I couldn't stand to feel trapped," she explains. She was often irritable or paranoid, short-fused, consumed with self-loathing.

Sarah's nervous system was stuck in the amber of childhood, when her psyche had been conditioned for chronic danger. Decades after leaving her father's house, her mind and body remained on 24-7 high alert, poised to duck a flying fist or slip through a closing door. She was in her early 30s before she received the formal diagnosis: post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

She attended counseling sessions with a social worker. She self-medicated with food, exercise, alcohol. She chain-smoked. She did group therapy and Alcoholics Anonymous, Paxil and kundalini yoga. A psychiatrist sent her to a crime victims' unit, where she tried prolonged exposure therapy: a highly successful treatment for PTSD that requires patients to describe traumatic events again and again in acute detail—staring down a terrifying ordeal until it retreats safely into the past. After a handful of sessions, Sarah dropped out. "I was totally resistant. I was obnoxious," she admits now. "I remember playing with the Play-Doh in the psychiatrist's office, thinking, I'm smarter than you." Her bad attitude, she realizes today, was a defense mechanism—bravado masking fear of her own memories.

At the start of 2005, after a break-in at her home, Sarah's PTSD symptoms—the nightmares, sleeplessness, and hypervigilance—were worse than ever. She was a single mom, and she agonized over how her disorder might be affecting her toddler son. Then a friend told her that a researcher was recruiting subjects for a small pilot study of a promising new drug treatment for PTSD. Sarah was intrigued and hopeful. She was also apprehensive: The drug in question was 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, or MDMA, which Sarah knew to be the active ingredient in the street drug Ecstasy.

Can a Single Pill Change Your Life?
By Jessica Winter
O, The Oprah Magazine | February 15, 2011

http://www.oprah.com/health/PTSD-and-MDMA-Therapy-Medical-Uses-of-Ecstasy/1

What better way for the general public to start to drop the old propaganda that hangs in front of MDMA, than seeing this with the name Opera attached to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the MDMA is actually having these calming/nurturing effects, if it's placebo, or if the drug is allowing people to go through the same therapeutic process in a faster way somehow.

wasn't oprah the person who popularized the whole "holes in your brain" bullshit?

^Perhaps a chance at redemption?

From what I gathered from Peter Jenning's documentary on MDMA, Donahue gave a good take on it.

wasn't oprah the person who popularized the whole "holes in your brain" bullshit?

She was, which is why I find this article very ironic.
The truth always prevails!

Great read though.

Ecstasy—in tablets frequently laced with methamphetamine, tranquilizers, or PCP, and sometimes containing little actual MDMA—

Yeah, right...

I know a single pill can change your life. A single pill definitely changed my life for the better (at least up to this point.) I'd really find it to be unlikely that someone with PTSD could take MDMA and not make significant progress. I am a logical person and although I see the great potential for benefits I always take the neutral standpoint and realize there is a definite downside to this idea. Honestly if you have PTSD and are greatly helped by mdma, when your therapy is over what are the chances you will just go on with your life never wanting to do the drug again. I believe most of these people would eventually go out on the street looking for the drug if their therapy no longer required it as they are probably at higher risk for mental dependence to it seeing as it not only gave them the best 4hrs of their life, but also brought them out of some sort of lifelong depression. Yes, if somehow one of those people could take a pill and just live with that perception then its great for them. I know that I didn't even have a disorder and find it hard to not touch mdma because there's nothing else, not even any other drug, like it.

"Used since the middle of the seventies by Anglo-Saxon psychologists and psychiatrists, MDMA reached the summit of its legal prestige in 1984, when it became the emblem of the New Age movement and its popular version, the rave, a more contested form – with overtones of hippiedom- concentrated in clubs and suburban locations. Until that time, no bad trips or serious intoxications were reported, even though thousands used it, but in 1985 its fame led the DEA to declare it out of bounds, not only for the general public but for the medical establishment as well.

This initiative provoked criticism from various therapists, based upon MDMA’s “almost incredible capacity to facilitate subjective communication and access to repressed material.”

The DEA responded that forbidding its use “did not depend on its physical or psychical damaging effects, but rather on the numbers of people who might want to use MDMA.”

In a climate of international expectation, the matter was taken to the Expert Committee at WHO, which made a statement beginning:

“There is no available data about propensity for clinical abuse, or about social or public health or epidemiological problems related to this substance. There is no well-defined therapeutic use, but many professionals affirm it has great value as a psychotherapeutic agent.”

The Committee went as far as to define MDMA as a substance that was “intriguing and deserving of further research” – terms never before applied to a psychoactive drug – but confirmed the criteria of the DEA by including it in Schedule I, the repository of drugs without medical use, which cannot even be self-tested by toxicologists or psychotherapists. In the following year, 1986, extensive amounts of MDMA were available in the black market, almost always adulterated with more toxic products, which began to lead to deaths. Since then, it has been sold in bars and clubs at prices comparable to those of heroin or cocaine, and by 1990 it was (and still is) – along with cannabis- the illegal euphoric agent preferred by middle-class youth."

from http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/topic.php?uid=169748050377&topic=14855

can I be the first to say fuck oprah? it's about time she supported something true. I know I can't be the only one who was furious at how awful her take on Life was, sometimes she was flat out making shit up about animals. how did it even get produced? lol

this, however, is great. I still hate oprah though.

This is refreshing even though I doubt this option is for everyone. At least this shows a possible move away from the usual "whatever the diagnosis--SSRI" approach to pschyiatric medicine. There is also a lot of firm backing for the use of clonidine to treat ptsd, but it's use is rarely implimented. The SSRI +benzo approach is probably the worst way to treat PTSD.
I've never heard of anyone having a bad trip on MDMA either, but I wonder if it has happened to some.
Also I wonder if low dose therapy works too, where you don't actually trip?

I saw this article yesterday in my wife's issue of Oprah's magazine and was pretty excited to see Oprah give positive attention to MDMA. After all, she seems to have the ability to influence everything from the New York Times' Bestseller (books) list to American Presidential elections. Maybe she'll do a series about psychedelics positive effects. Maybe she'll invite Doblin onto her show. Imagine the trailer for the next Oprah featuring psilocybin for migraines and LSD for end-of-life anxiety therapy at hospices across the country.

How ironic would it be for Oprah to help usher in a new psychedelic revolution?

Probably as ironic as me heading a household with a subscription to O Magazine.

Just as an comment relating to Regenesis2's post:

I remember watching a documentary where a middle-aged lady (between 40 and 50 years of age) was suffering from terminal cancer and she spoke about how - even in her extremely fragile condition - she was given a dose of mdma. Although I don't remember anymore exactly what she said, I can certainly say she praised the drug.

Those illustrations are gold... Looks like a 180 degree turn to me, goddamn hippie scum! :D

edit: read the whole thing. Great article. The come up description gave me goosebumps and all kinds of neurotransmitter-rushes.

Last edited:
Just as an comment relating to Regenesis2's post:

I remember watching a documentary where a middle-aged lady (between 40 and 50 years of age) was suffering from terminal cancer and she spoke about how - even in her extremely fragile condition - she was given a dose of mdma. Although I don't remember anymore exactly what she said, I can certainly say she praised the drug.

That would be this excellent documentary, Ecstasy Rising with Peter Jennings: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1564288654365150131#

Last edited:
This is absolutely incredible that this is getting this kind of exposure. Fabulous.

I have seen a few posts here that lead me to believe that some might be confused as to how this therapy actually works. You wouldn`t just take ecstasy and, by the miracle of its pharmacological action on the brain, suddenly you have been cured of PTSD. There is no "calming effect" or residual effect after the experience that can be easily quantified.

What basically happens is that you take the drug, in a controlled setting, with a licensed therapist, and the ecstasy basically gets you to talk. It allows you to pour out your thoughts and it helps you uncover all sorts of buried memories and feelings that you might not have been able to recover otherwise. Ecstasy is good at doing that. It basically let`s you open a window down into the depths of your psyche, and allows for a vastly more productive therapy session.

The lingering effects of this potential ecstasy therapy session are the result of the fluid and perfect interaction between the patient and the therapist, which is a result of the patient taking ecstasy. The ecstasy doesn`t directly cure PTSD. It`s not working as an antidepressant or anxiolytic would. It works as a therapeutic aid, like lubricant on machine parts to make them slide more easily.

This is totally stunning. Would not have expected Oprah to do this. :)