• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Employment advice

wow I forgot how hard work is. Hot bath for me tonight. Feels good, though. :)

My CV sucks

I have never worked. never paid taxes, spent many years living in her majestys hotels, i am 44 so i am pretty much f/ked. But it is real cool of you sadie to offer free help and advice.
Giza a job go on giza a job? (boys from the black stuff) some may get what i have just said :)

scouse, mate. You never know. The job I got didn't even ask for my cv or references. Th eownder of the place new something up with my massive gap in work - even asked if I'd been inside (which I haven't) Don't give up.

But it is real cool of you sadie to offer free help and advice.
Giza a job go on giza a job? (boys from the black stuff) some may get what i have just said :)

It is quite honestly my pleasure. :)

Yeah, the reference went well over my head. Much like a giraffes fart.

Unfortunately I dont really know the labour market outside Glasgow, but HMRC are just about to recruit 1000's. I believe 140 posts will be available in Glasgow alone, with more posts in Dundee and East Kilbride. As for the rest of the UK; check the website.

Temporary Tax Credit staff???

Going to read through this entire thread now, but I just wanted to start by saying thank you Sadie for the generous offer.

I was sacked from a job I hated on the 2nd Feb and am currently looking for work. My line manager - a partner in the company - was a horrible, spiteful, bullying woman who made me hate my work, hate every minute of my day, hate myself, and very nearly drove me to a complete breakdown. My confidence is still completely shattered - I doubt my abilities so much it's hard to get through a job interview - and I'm actually very worried I'll not be able to find a new job before the money runs out and Mrs Deckmunki and I face eviction.

So, I'm looking forward to reading this thread. Thanks again for your offer of advice - I may need to ask for help, although I'm pretty certain there's little I can do now (was only there for 4 months, have been put on a month's gardening leave, no reason for dismissal given but don't think one's needed).

Apologies for rambling a bit :eek: :)

YAY DS! I'm so happy for you! I know it's not been a fun time being unemployed for yourself. ( For me either ) But Best of luck. I'll be sending you my good vibes my friend!

Well for some :)

All the Irish are emigrating - fuck all over here; businesses going under, tearful terminal bound parents waving their last goodbyes to their children being flown off to fuck knows where...

Yeah, My husband has recently had to do some work over in Ireland. He says's it's dire over there. House prices being dirt cheap because no one can afford any of them.

Factories shutting down, Companies moving out. It's looking pretty fucking grim from what I hear.

Not many more jobs going over here either.

I get job alerts through my email ( through my phone ) they all used to be random positions for dirt pay. Now the only ones I get through are for how to better your skills. I haven't had a job posted in a couple of days. Just CV help, tips to be a call centre agent. Getting a degree to work in a call centre ( WTF) that sort of shit. It's seriously depressing me.

FUCK THIS SHIT!

I know this is such an over-exaggeration but I foresee a lot of crap going down because of all the unemployment around us and more to come.

More people on drugs ( escapism ftw ), More crime, more drinking more strain on the already overloaded NHS which will be worse as they keep scrapping more and more staff. A nation on anti-depressants.

I'm just in a pessimistic mood today. Hard times for me just now and set to get harder.

I mostly started this thread to help those fortunate enough already in employment in hopes that should they be faced with losing their job they may have some hope in keeping it. It's not a good time to be unemployed right now.

Much love @ you Sadie for a thoughtful ,helpful and creative thread. As Monty Burns once said "I like the cut of your jib"

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, I need a bit o love today.

I need a job man, Every day seems to be the same as the last with little money for any kind of escapism.

If being at home all the time hasn't made me feel so lazy I'd continue my German and Spanish courses. Hard to fit those in in-between naps and laundry. ( Okay, I could make time but I've become quite the procrastinator these days )

I hear ya. I cant imagine you will have to wait too much longer to get something.Its apparent for me to see on my short time here you have a lot going for you.

Ah, But I don't have a degree. And as previously discussed in this thread, I have gaps in my employment. Those gaps explained by being a full time parent and my recent one because I CAN'T FIND WORK!!

Right now employers are looking for folk that have pristine records. Sure, it's not impossible. However, if an employer is faced with a sparkling CV with years history with each company, that's who they're going to go for. Oh yeah, And the one's with uni degree's. Doesn't need to be a degree in that field but they're looking for the go getters,

I'm a go getter in a way. I'm abouts to go get a beer. =D

Things are really in the balance just now. It might be more beneficial for me to hold off taking on a job as I might be caring for someone in the near future. Can't work and do both. We'll see.

I recently left one job for another, I didn't work my notice, just returned everything at the end of the week and said see ya. I have received a letter stating that until I return a certificate to them they will not pay any monies I'm owed. I don't think that it will be much money owed anyway because I'd taken too many days Annual Leave, however, I need my final payslip and P45, can they legally keep these from me? Oh, and I'm not returning the certificate, It has my name on it and they just want to throw it away.

I recently left one job for another, I didn't work my notice, just returned everything at the end of the week and said see ya. I have received a letter stating that until I return a certificate to them they will not pay any monies I'm owed. I don't think that it will be much money owed anyway because I'd taken too many days Annual Leave, however, I need my final payslip and P45, can they legally keep these from me? Oh, and I'm not returning the certificate, It has my name on it and they just want to throw it away.

Just get a P46 fill it in and send it off to the tax office yourself, if they eventually send you your p45 then hand it in to your current employer, that is perfectly acceptable. As for monies they owe you, they have a period in which they have to sort it out, and you should get your payslip at the same time.
Although you are working go to the job centre, tell them they have left you without money you have worked for, they will be on as quick as you like to your ex employers as they do not want to be paying out benefit money then try and get it back.

nicely laid out cvs with headings

Hay, i hate applying for jobs, i need a nice ly out for a cv, im good enough at saying the right things but i just want a layout for a cv, any lil helpers out there?