• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Employment advice

Voluntary work sounds like a good plan.

I was supposed to be starting a 'get back into work/life skills' programme today, but failed to turn up thanks to last nights vodka antics.

Voluntary work is great. Used to do a bit ages ago - was how I started regularly posting here cos I had access to a PC and not much to actually do in the way of work. Dunno if it is just a local scheme they have here but my doctor prescribed it as part of a scheme to get longterm unemployed/sick folk summat to do with the possibility of gaining new skills, feel more productive, boost confidence and the like so maybe worth speaking to a doctor about it even. Although voluntary work is probably not too hard to find anyway, I guess.

my boyfriends mum was a hardcore alcoholic since before he was born (its a mystery that only one of her 5 kids has fetal alcohol syndrome). she didn't work for 25 years but managed to get a job a year ago.

i suspect she put the kids as part of the reason for not working but her employer is also aware of her alcoholism as she's missed work whilst having mini relapses. had she lied on her CV I suspect she'd have lost her job after her first relapse, so she must have stated something about her addiction problems. she also has priors for theft and assault. she works caring for the disabled so crb checks will have been done. its low paid but has done wonders for her confidence and we really think the chances of her relapsing are a lot smaller as a result.

point being- if she can get employed in this climate, there's hope for everyone.

There is always jobs opening up for overnight work in supermarkets (it's what i'm currently doing). Staff turnover for overnight staff is pretty high, loads of people never come back after their first week!

I'm sure the largest part of getting a job in a supermarket comes down to the online personality test bullshit you have to pass rather than employment history/CV. It's not a great job but it's a good start and it can actually be quite a good laugh if you have a good group of people working there.

Online personality test at an interview? What is this thing you speak of, Ponch? Never come across that one before... but the interwebz were barely born last time I worked 8)

I did have to do a computer personality test-type thang for a Restart course once. Told me that my ideal job would be either as an undertaker or a fish farm manager. Always thought that a rather odd recommendation.

I did have to do a computer personality test-type thang for a Restart course once. Told me that my ideal job would be either as an undertaker or a fish farm manager. Always thought that a rather odd recommendation.

Step forward, Mr. Daltrey...

You do the test when you apply for the job on their website it contains questions like:

A colleague tells you there are some damaged packets of broken biscuits in the warehouse do you:
a) eat the biscuits
b) tell the colleague they are wrong and next time you will inform a supervisor
c) inform a supervisor

A customer comes into the store and asks you a question as the phone begings ringing do you:
a) ignore the customer and answer the phone
b) help the customer
c) tell the customer to speak to someone else

It's all pretty simple stuff to be honest some are a bit more tricky than that, if you pass the test you enter your details and they usually give you a call to arrange an interview within a couple of days.

Just check their websites from time to time, Sainsburys and M&S both definitely have the personality tests, i'm not too sure about Tesco/Morrisons/ASDA but they will probably be the same I would have thought. I don't think they advertise their jobs anywhere else other than their websites.

my boyfriends mum was a hardcore alcoholic since before he was born (its a mystery that only one of her 5 kids has fetal alcohol syndrome). she didn't work for 25 years but managed to get a job a year ago.

i suspect she put the kids as part of the reason for not working but her employer is also aware of her alcoholism as she's missed work whilst having mini relapses. had she lied on her CV I suspect she'd have lost her job after her first relapse, so she must have stated something about her addiction problems. she also has priors for theft and assault. she works caring for the disabled so crb checks will have been done. its low paid but has done wonders for her confidence and we really think the chances of her relapsing are a lot smaller as a result.

point being- if she can get employed in this climate, there's hope for everyone.

Thanks for those positive words Chinup. You usually come out with positive stuff. I like that <3 Thanks

Online personality test at an interview? What is this thing you speak of, Ponch? Never come across that one before... but the interwebz were barely born last time I worked 8)

Which one being odd? Undertaker or Fish Farm manager. Just kidding. You'd make an excellent undertaker.

Was mainly the contrast between the two apparent ideals. Not quite sure how they relate to one another beyond the fact that fish farm managers probably find the odd dead fish. Or not if they're any good at their job, I suppose. Would be shit at them both anyway.

Perhaps the link is working with things that don't talk back ha ha.

You may have a point =D

Only other connection I can see is a cold, slimy and pure filth one. But probably wasn't what they meant.

/derail

Shambles, why don't you have a crack at writing a book? Seriously!

You've got an excellent way with words - convey a message in a humorous and intelligent way. And, I think you have a really interesting and colourful past.

I've been thinking about mentioning this to you for a while now. I for one would buy it.

Be miles better than a lot of the pish out there. Peter Andre has a book FFS

Oddly enough I've wanted to be a writer since I was about three. Never was up to writing anything "proper" and organised of book length but suppose all you really need do is start on page one and see where it takes you. Has always been a bit of a fall-back plan put-off till I actually had something to write about but as I've hit a bit of a life-lull maybe a bit of reflection wouldn't be such a bad idea. It's something I enjoy anyway so would be a pleasant enough project even if just for my own amusement. It's finding the structure and "voice" that has so far eluded me really. Practice through postwhoring is as far as I've got on the latter - will work more on the former. And thanks for the kind words cos words have always been my favourite toys... well... second favourite toys, maybe :D

Thanks for those positive words Chinup. You usually come out with positive stuff. I like that <3 Thanks

thank you. i usually try to be positive, it has made my life much happier and if it can make other happier then all the better!

and yes, shambles if you wrote a book or a collection of short stories i think it would be ace.

I was thinking a collection of short stories. Perhaps with the same theme. Then eventually you'd have your book.

Write about something you know. I think you should do drug stories.

Y'know that was just the kinda thing I was thinking myself as it happens. Short stories were always my thing really. There is all of zero commercial value in a book of short stories so doubt I'll be retiring on the profit but a small and perfectly formed BL-folk exclusive could be a great way to while away the days constructively. I've had a box of A4 paper and a printer sat around for ages unused so that's sure a print-run just waiting to happen ;)