• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

10-year anniversary of "Blacklight," the passing of Ryan Haight (aka Quicksilver)

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
10-year anniversary of "Blacklight," the passing of Ryan Haight (aka Quicksilver)

For those of you who don't remember Ryan Haight, (AKA "Quicksilver") he was an extraordinary young man. An honors student who had an intellectual curiosity about the world around him, a keen interest and aptitude for the sciences and was perhaps most memorably, a great person and friend. Ryan's passing was not only a great loss for those around him, but also for this community and anyone who had the good fortune of knowing him.

The following piece was written by his mother:

About Ryan

Ryan was born on December 28, 1982.

Ryan was an incredible boy. From the time he was little, I always believed that he would make a difference in this world. He was very intelligent and excelled in school. He loved math and science, was at the top of his class, was a Gate student in the elementary years, and then went on to take honors classes. He was an A student and maintained a 4.0 or above during his years in high school. He looked forward to going to college.

Ryan was athletic and loved the thrill of competition. In elementary school he played Little League Baseball, starting with T-ball and then became a top player in the Majors and made the All Star Team. He played Open Junior Tennis tournaments, and went on to play Varsity tennis for Grossmont High School in La Mesa, California. He loved to snow ski, snow board, water ski, knee board, and attempted all sports with great enthusiasm. He loved to play billiards, bowl, and play ping-pong. He was competitive, and competed on a swim team when he was young and enjoyed playing Nintendo and other video games.

Ryan loved using the computer. He was thrilled to find out that he could easily chat Online with his friends from school. He soon learned that he could chat with other kids across the country that were his age and had the same interests as he did. He could send and receive email everyday. He could enter chat rooms and talk about educational and current events. He learned to surf the Internet and quickly learned their was so much information that was so easy to get. It was a perfect place for him to use for his papers in school, or to seek information he was curious about. Ryan used the computer to play games against his friends, to compete in Fantasy Baseball where you choose your teams. He loved to trade baseball cards on Ebay. Ryan was taking a computer graphics class in high school. He was considering a possible career with computers.

Ryan loved his family. His sister, Natalie was his best friend. They did everything together when they were growing up. He looked up to Natalie because she was older, and was always so proud of her. After she went away to college, they remained close through emails and chatting Online. He was a very loving and caring brother to his younger brother, Jeremy. He played games with Jeremy, entertained him, and was very responsible with taking care of him if needed. He enjoyed taking Jeremy out to McDonalds or out for an ice cream. He often picked him up after school and did many other helpful things throughout Jeremy’s younger days. Ryan was also very responsible at home. He always got up to go to school on his own, made his own lunch, and never needed to be reminded to do his homework. He helped at dinner time without being asked and often did the dishes. He kept his room neat and tidy and fed and looked after our pet dog, Heidi. He traveled to many places with the family. He saw many of the National Parks from Yosemite to Mount Rushmore. He skied and snow boarded many of the beautiful ski resorts from Sun Valley to Vail. He cruised the Caribbean, and visited Hawaii. He saw the pyramids in Mexico. He camped, house boated and went river rafting. He saw and experienced many of the beautiful things our world has to offer. I remember him saying on our last trip with him to see the Grand Canyon in August 2000, “this is really beautiful, I enjoy doing this and would like to do more of it.”

Ryan had met and made many good friends throughout his lifetime. He would love to just “hang out” laugh, play games and have fun. Ryan was someone they could rely on if they ever needed help. His high school sweetheart, Kim will never forget his sensitivity and thoughtfulness.

Ryan is deeply missed by many. My grief continues and extends beyond the immediate family. Ryan’s grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends feel Ryan’s death very deeply. Ryan will never see Jeremy play his clarinet, or take him out for ice cream. Ryan will never be here to talk for long hours with his sister and best friend, Natalie. I will not see him graduate from college, attend his wedding, and be grandmother to his children. But we continue to water our white roses, and drink our Sprite with no ice in his memory. Ryan will be forever missed and will remain in our hearts forever.​

The Ryan Haight Act (aka, the Haight Act) was passed just a few years ago due in large part to the activism of his mother following his passing. I'm sure some of you remember the day we turned Bluelight "Black" in his memory. It is still hard for me to accept that it's now been a decade since his passing -- Indeed time does truly fly by.

At any rate, I hope those who read this have a chance to reflect on Ryan's life and the contributions he made to our community -- both in life and afterwards. I personally know I'm the better for it.

Warm regards and deepest sympathies,

SG

Never do we come together closer than we do to mourn the loss of a fellow Bluelighter. While it's definitely not something I would ever look forward to nor would I hope we would ever lose anybody again, I have to say that during those times of pain, it's a pain we share together, and I'm vividly reminded that we're all family here in our own unique way. We're all brothers and sisters, and in spite of our faults and eccentricities we have found this little place on the internet where we sometimes feel more at home than we would in any conceivable real, physical place.

I really don't know where I'd be without Bluelight, honestly.

Here's to my weirdo internet family. Love you guys. <3

Never do we come together closer than we do to mourn the loss of a fellow Bluelighter. While it's definitely not something I would ever look forward to nor would I hope we would ever lose anybody again, I have to say that during those times of pain, it's a pain we share together, and I'm vividly reminded that we're all family here in our own unique way. We're all brothers and sisters, and in spite of our faults and eccentricities we have found this little place on the internet where we sometimes feel more at home than we would in any conceivable real, physical place.

I really don't know where I'd be without Bluelight, honestly.

Here's to my weirdo internet family. Love you guys. <3

Thank you for this, Inedible. Though we mourn those we've lost, the family continues to grow. :)

RIP to Ryan and everyone we have lost to this struggle. However we will persevere progress can not be stopped.

Quicksilver was a real good guy. I spent a good bit of time talking to him on both IRC and AIM. We've lost a lot of good people from the old OD/ODU/IRC scene..

RIP Quicksilver
RIP sputnic
RIP day4night
RIP PhreeX

I miss you guys and you helped make me who I am today.

<3<3

Didn't know him or anyone else except PhreeX.

RIP to all. And Man, PhreeX.. still can't get over that.

Ive been reading Bluelight for over ten years....?

My.. life.. where has it gone.

RIP ryan

I had no idea Phreex died? wtf details please?

One of my best friends died the day after Christmas this year off of an H overdose...god damn shit like this hurts..

Quicksilver rings a bell. I remember reading some of his posts a long time ago. Something about that dude... don't remember though. Honestly, I'm probably just sad that a part of my memory died when I realized the person had died. Plus the emotions of course. Like happy and sad. RIP if there is an afterlife where ur stuck in the coffin forever... jesus what a terrible feeling that would be.

I remember this so clearly :( It was the first time bluelight was turned black. I was relatively new to the board, but I remember feeling quite humbled by the sense of community on bluelight.nu.

That sense of community is one of the things that has kept me here for 10 and a bit years. Much love to Ryan's family <3

Quicksilver was a real good guy. I spent a good bit of time talking to him on both IRC and AIM. We've lost a lot of good people from the old OD/ODU/IRC scene..

RIP Quicksilver
RIP sputnic
RIP day4night
RIP PhreeX

I miss you guys and you helped make me who I am today.

<3<3

can not forget xtcxtc

i didnt know him but from what i do know is he was real important to this site

Was he like the owner or creator or something? "for those of you that don't remember, he was an extraordinary young man" is kinda not helpful at all.

Whoever he is he sounds amazing so RIP

Was he like the owner or creator or something? "for those of you that don't remember, he was an extraordinary young man" is kinda not helpful at all.

Whoever he is he sounds amazing so RIP

Someone a lot of people knew way back when. Hard to believe it's been that long....

So how did he die? Know one ever tells us how these bluelighters are dieing... I am assuming a drug overdose....but you know what they say when you "ass-u-me" things (you make an ASS out of U and ME).

So how did he die? Know one ever tells us how these bluelighters are dieing... I am assuming a drug overdose....but you know what they say when you "ass-u-me" things (you make an ASS out of U and ME).

From what I remember it was a brain aneurysm, I'm sure the original announcement is still around here somewhere...

EDIT: I'm thinking of someone else, Ryan died of an overdose

Last edited: