European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Musical Snobbery/Cultured Taste/Image Conscious Egoist

GlasgowE

Bluelighter
There seems to be a bit of a debate going on right now over on the 'What Tune You Listening To' and it got me thinking.

I must admit to being very guilty of ignoring a whole range of music when I at school. I only listened to what was considered 'indie' and laughed at folk who liked 'commercial' music.

Years later whilst I was at university my attitude changed; I was conscious of the beard stroking indie brigade and so eager not to be placed in that bracket I started listening to a lot of techno.

I suppose I shouldnt have let my ego get in the way of good music and its only now I can see this.

Anyone else care to admit guilt ?

Do people on here go out there way to post whats considered 'cool music'?

I thnk so,,,,,

The first step to recovery is admitting your a ,,,,,, (Music snob)=D

Or will you argue you have a cultured taste developed over years of experience?

Id say I was a case of being so fuckin image conscious I lost sight of the music, but I reckon there are a few amongst us also guilty of this.

you would not believe how much of a precious, annoying, indie-kid i was in my teenage years. everything was shit and worthless and faaaar too commercial, man, if it wasn't mentioned in NME or Melody Maker. the other thing was teenage peer pressure, and once you get over that and start admitting to liking stuff that your friends don't like, the floodgates are permanently open.

I always thought the thread was what you listening to? NOT what does everyone else want to hear

Felix I will take your post as an admission of guilt.

IMO "no one is innocent" on this one, we all have prejudices on almost all things even if we try and deny it.

I have a reasonably wide musical taste from Northern Soul to some Punk and New wave as well as Techno, Hardcore and some more outlandish early industrial stuff. Not to mention all sorts of random loves I've discovered over the years.

My view is that like any art beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder and that all music has its own merits.

I love the music threads it gives me a chnace to listen to others chosen sounds which can lead me on to new worlds of music I havent explored before.

*raises hand*

Yes, I let my ego stop me from hearing anything played on daytime radio one for years.
But recently I allowed myself to be exposed to modern pop music again. And found myself enjoying certain tunes. (Something I never thought would happen!).

Granted, I still don't go near daytime radio one. I'd rather not fall victim to disliking a song because it's overplayed.

Defo not a music snob, I just fucking love music of all shades. I don't see why people would post music on a site just to look cool? What would be the point? Everyone has different taste, someone people can listen to something, enjoy it and want to share it with other people, don't see anything wrong with that. I hate music snobbery, even if sometimes it's hard to always agree whether a band is any good or not. It's not for me to judge anyone based on what they choose to listen to. I'm fortunate enough to love pretty much all things musical, don't get stuck on genre's and be open minded! I don't write anything off until i've given it a listen, aside from auto-tuned mindless commercial pop, which makes me feel physically sick ;) If you choose to listen to it tho, who am I to judge? I listen to drone and noise, a lot of people think it's repetitive, nonsensical, utter bollocks but its certainly not the only music I'm interested in.

I certainly am not a music snob, obviously apparent on the music thread! But I don't judge others...its your choice to click the link, I have many tracks saved in my favourites from the music thread, either because I liked the music or it was something that I had totally forgotten about..:)

I always think people are too quick to judge others, be it on their choice music/drugs/movies etc.

I never joined up here to be cool just to learn and that I defiantly have=D

yes. yes yes thats me, i was such a snob when a youngster, i really was, tho i always loved a few things people thought were shit. but now, i like what i like, i mean i always liked boyzone, but was too embarasse to admit it, admitted to take that b4 boyzone,
and theres so much other stuff. i listen to heart fm now for fucks sake, and its so much better than radio 4, its no wonder i was losin the plot for a while

i just love music, ceili bands, a bit of country. my taste in music reflects me,, randomer and proud

Love it all, even Abba! Can't beat abit of old skool house for a good dance though:)

i wouldn't describe myself as a music snob because i respect most peoples music tastes. i don't really respect the tastes of people who like manufactured, purely profit driven 'music' which makes me somewhat a snob i guess.

what i am is incredibly narrow minded. when i was 16 i realised all my cds were the same genre and have intermittently made efforts to branch out, they usually don't work. i can't help what i like. i enjoyed the uk hiphop my housemates in final year were into but haven't listened to it since.

most people are snobs about my music, its their loss, they usually give up when i ask them to name one current band of the genre they're slagging off.

I could at times be accused of being a musical snob but I also listen to a wide varied range of music. However after dismissing pop/chart music for the past 10 years or so I have finally found a liking for it again and I think there is some really clever and happy music in the charts at the moment.

Music seems to have taken a happier, less serious turn in the past year and I really think that songs such as Rihanna Only girl in the world, show that upbeat dance songs with almost old school synths, old school breakbeats and female vocals are popular again. This is a good sign the state of the world is improving!

Makes a change from all the very poor guitar bands with names beginning with K, that I never understood of the past 10 years. Come on kids put the guitars back down and listen to some real music for inspiration, whilst dancing and happy on one of these super pills

Hmmm I just remembered this was a thread about snobbery

Theres no doubt that certain types of music are just shite and I have no guilt or shame in that opinion

But thats not the idea of the thread, otherwise we would all just be saying I think this is piss and thats piss.

The point im getting at is when you develop the I know better than you and the music you like is inferior to what im listening to attitude.

Im admitting as are several others that they have been of this opinion in the past, but no longer let it influence the music they listen to.

If im honest though, I would never tell anyone that I like 'indie' music incase they think I like The Killers or The Bravery or any other of these bands that seem to get tagged as 'inide'. Or if i tell someone I like techno Im concerned they might think I listen to 'Scooter or Cascada'. But thats probably just me being image conscious. Fuck it though I hold no shame in that.

Theres no doubt that certain types of music are just shite and I have no guilt or shame in that opinion

But thats not the idea of the thread, otherwise we would all just be saying I think this is piss and thats piss.

The point im getting at is when you develop the I know better than you and the music you like is inferior to what im listening to attitude.

Im admitting as are several others that they have been of this opinion in the past, but no longer let it influence the music they listen to.

If im honest though, I would never tell anyone that I like 'indie' music incase they think I like The Killers or The Bravery or any other of these bands that seem to get tagged as 'inide'. Or if i tell someone I like techno Im concerned they might think I listen to 'Scooter or Cascada'. But thats probably just me being image conscious. Fuck it though I hold no shame in that.

I have that attitude. Mostly because I'm right ;)

I wasn't exactly a music snob. More ignorant.

My eyes opening is well documented on this board and by those BL'ers who know me. I'm starting to like more electronic music. mostly D&B, Dubstep and Drumstep.

I want to thank those especially Cherry for giving me great choons to listen to.

oh and GlasgowE - I too am an Indy girl.

Have a massive appreciation for good pop, from a sorta vaguely learned perspective, I r dun sound engineering and music production for my degree. A lot of pop is class and a lot of what 'hip' people like is horrendously ropey, lazy shite.

Horses for courses though, minor threat re designed to sound like they are being recorded through a pair of heinz cans connected by a piece of string, and all pop is 4 minutes of ultra compressed radio-friendly lushness.

I dont think I'm a music snob, cuz I listen to allsorts, although I can dissapear up my own arse if I start talking music too deeply lol.

Bumpity.

I have always been told I am a music snob. I just don't get it though. I like what I like and I don't like what I don't; I go out of my way to avoid things which pain my lugs, but I don't go out of my way to inflict my tastes on others. I see nothing wrong or unusual about that but, by all accounts, I am a horrendous music snob.

The way I see it, you kinda have to be saying a certain song, or even entire genre, is pure shite in order to "not be snobby" about it or maybe describe it as a "guilty pleasure". Which kinda makes you a music snob, no? :?

im the complete opposite of a musical snob. i think nothing of playing abba amidst a room of hardcore druggies. if its good i like it, if its not i dont.

telling me something is cool is the best way to get me not to listen to it

i think marilyn manson's antichrist superstar lp is one of the greatest albums of all time. duran duran made some of the best pure pop tunes of all time etcetera etcetera

conversely i feel at liberty to say traditional darlings of musical snobbery often are overrated shite, and in the case of the velvet underground, for example.. most definitely are

I'm not a music snob, but everything I like is brilliant and everything else is shit! ;)

I am not so much of a snob as a sad ass nerd. While its been one of the most important things in my life and part of my identity, the tunnel vision I have developed with regards to real music means I have never been in a place to justify it's superiority, I just evangelise the cause and there has always been enough variety across the genres that I have rare reason to expand my horizons.

I am not so much of a snob as a sad ass nerd. While its been one of the most important things in my life and part of my identity, the tunnel vision I have developed with regards to real music means I have never been in a place to justify it's superiority, I just evangelise the cause and there has always been enough variety across the genres that I have rare reason to expand my horizons.

me to a t steeeeeeeeee (i can't count)

i listen to some sub genres of punk rock and thats it (hardcore punk, melodic hardcore, skate/pop punk, crack rock steady, folk punk, love a bit of crust live). and when people play me not punk rock i can only really explain that the issue is its not punk rock. i mostly just tell people i don't like music cos they think i should have gotten over it. given i've got so much wisdom recently by listening to songs by people being candid about their drug problems and recovery, they can fuck off, this music saves lives.

change is a sound by strike anywhere taught me that you can turn anger into something beautiful. it helped me become a productive person (ahem) and no music will ever have that impact again. so many of the lessons on my way to becoming an adult.

i'm sure other music is great but it didn't form me from an angry self harming teenager to someone with hope and knowing life is shit but can get better. i reckon i'd be in a way worse state than me utterly atrocious state right now without it.

discovering there was a bunch of fuck ups like me who could create something beautiful was amazing. and listening to people like Pat the Bunny go from active addiction (Jonny hobo and the freight trains) to wanting something better (wing nut dishwasher union) to having successfully completed rehab (ramshackle glory) and the hope you can feel as he bares his soul for all (see video below, i can't result) is therapy to me. if anyone has any analogous example from another genre that is so heartfelt and compelling i'd be interested to know.

that said for a rave can't beat some dirty drum and bass