• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Musical Snobbery/Cultured Taste/Image Conscious Egoist

to add to my overly personal love letter to punk rock.... i think all genres have something great, except psy trance obviously, you just have to find it. so in that way i'm not a snob.

i can appreciate other music is great, like trampled by turtles are fucking insane musicians, but i like the punk cover of wait so long better than the original. so i'm not a snob, it just doesn't mean something to me in a way that punk rock has enveloped me to the core.

i also actually think i love music way way way more than people who claim to love it cos they listen to 'a bit of everything' or have obviously never researched to find music they like themselves- because my music means the world to me and it comes as a whole package, and the 'bit of everything' guys trying to sound so incluvsive and worldly MUST be missing the point of every fucking genre..

there was a great punk and hardcore record store in manchester when i was growing up, i could go in and tell them what i liked and they'd come up with perfect recommendations. Won by As Friends Rust was discovered in this way, they played me the fist few bars and I stopped them right there and bought it. How do people who like a bit of everything do that then?

fuck i am a massive snob.

^^
Don't understand this part. Do you mean only you listen to 'real' music

Most people who bash my obsession with electronic music will insist it's not real, as in I do not often listen to anything produced by humans with instruments etc.

My personal hypothesis is, dance music has been created using whatever instruments were available at the time. Pretty much every culture that has existed throughout history has developed three things: combat sports, intoxicants and percussion instruments. Electronic dance music is simply the use of analogue and digital electronic circuits as instruments in their own right.

Julie same with folk punk. all acoustic cos no electricity if you're homeless, just what you can get on a train with you and haven't sold for heroin.

nobody has picked up on my monologue about punk rock so i've realised you guys aren't cool at all (i hope we're english enough to detect the irony given its the snob thread)

ahhhh well that would depend on the type of punk rock.

id you're talking drdancore then yes, the speak to flabby song writing. if you're onto modernlifeiswarcore, then the great american novel needs more words than you can fit in 1.5 minutes. and if we're onto la dispute, its fucking poetry, you cannot rush that, but its not a monologue.

almost every pat the bunny song is a monologue, in every one of his incarnations. i'm listening to him as therapy now and how do you lay your soul out for everyone to see and communicate your pain and desperation without a monologue, without losing nuance, or becoming cheesy? if you want to call him not punk rock then you can rest assured you don't know what punk is.

Whoever knew there were so many subgenres to punk rock?

The great rock 'n' roll swindle... ;)

well guys, after dinner you will get chinups guide to the subgeners of punk rock she listens to. its anazing at my parents eating is this thing called meals, not being followed round food shops by security guards.

your pre lecture reading is all the songs i've posted.

i'll start you with 1 min 30 seconds lesson in whoa ohs which is a big part of punk rock.

can you tell i'm bored?

ok well i have work to do so i'm just going to explain the two subgenres of melodic hardcore that i mentioned above.... drdancore is bands influenced by the bands of dan yemin- lifetime, kid dynamite and paint it black. kid dynamite is ripped off so often that there is a subgenre of drdancore called kid dynamitecore.

example listening: kid dynamite- shorter, faster, louder

i have coined my own term, genericore, for the type of melodic hardcore i love, it got stuck in a rut but who fucking cares. cos of obvious reasons i've been blastingg the betrayed Addiction EP several times a day. if you wanna see personally how much i fucking love this sort of music watch this: strike anywhere manchester punk festival i'm the girl he throws the mis to at 19.27 and once you recognise me i'm in it a lot- they made change is a sound, covered on the previous stage.

bringing me to modernlifeiswarcore (this is made up,. drdan/kiddynamitecore really exist, but everyone who knows melodic hardcore will get me).... well melodic hardcore was in a bit of a rut, and i didn't care cos i loved genericore, BUT then modern life is war came and broke the fucking mould. they turned it from songs into pure storytelling, you need to listen to all of witness with the lyrics in front. i know other genres do that and have concept albums and shit but this was ground breaking for melodic hardcore.

i'm going to be obtuse and give you a defeater song as an example coawrdice- just fucking beautiful, especially the instrumental at the end.... and then la dispute took that mould, and broke it fucking poetically.

so there is my whistlestop tour of melodic hardcore. if any of you are actually interested i'd love to know i've not wasted my time.

if any of you want similar for pop/skate punk, or folk punk (thats the one with the heartfelt monologues and songs that will help me in rehab) then i'll happily oblige but i suspect no one gives a fuck

this isn't snobbery. its just not possible to get as nerdy about every single genre in the way i am about punk- if anyone can give me a song thats as fitting for me right now as pat the bunny/wingnut dishwasher/ramshackle glory compost yuppie scum/we're all compost in training then i'll be open to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you do the homework BHM? you'll get extra marks if you can name me 3 more songs that make good use of a whoa oh

Julie same with folk punk. all acoustic cos no electricity if you're homeless, just what you can get on a train with you and haven't sold for heroin.
True dat. Punk rock is basically just electrified folk music anyway. Same influence; just basically pick up an instrument and sing your heart out to whoever's listening. There's a more or less unbroken lineage from songs about fields, sheep and fair maidens, to songs about factories where the fields used to be, to songs about new housing estates where the factories used to be .....

here ya go, chinup. bear in mind i knew precisely bugger all of this genre before your post and the subsequent few mins research it subsequently inaugurated, but whatever

misfits - american psycho

and

and

misfits is a little on the nose, i grant you. being, as i understand..? they pretty much invented it and have it strewn throughout their catalogue like frivolously discarded underwear on the bedroom floor in flagrante delicto, but hey im occasionally lazy. its my one and only flaw

its really not my scene, but i love and support all forms of passion and geekdom-in-minutiae, so rock on. i can find interest in pretty much anything, i'll try figure out something reasonably in depth to ask you about it at some point

as for giddin ya sommat to listen to..?? s'hard as i have no clue what youd consider unlistenable shit but here ya go i guess

Last edited:
Wow, bc and cu, I had the same thoughts and conversations several months back that punk was just folk music. Ya ha. YeH, musical snobbery and untangling threads. That's what I've been up to on the fringes, (ie, not in the accepted higher inner circle) with "traditional irish music" which I've realised is not as at all at all at all as traditional, if at all as it's promoted and secreted to be, so many of the tunes I love written I'm last fifty years... And all the local styles and accents.... The organisation that "standardise it" basically a money club... Can and can't do, you realise there's a lot more rules than in other things its not the loose free thing you thought it was and most certainly is a discipline, way if life to be studied... Great it can now be studied in a university! That's very folky traditional. Hello bhm

oh my fucking god i forgot about this!!

BHM you did ace

i actually feel sorry for pennywise for having really only ever done one good song and it being a fucking belter. as a musician, how would you feel about having to close on the same song for >20 years? its painful.

also re against me! i don't rate their new stuff and i can't be arsed with the what branch of fenminism/bastard i am for pointing out that i own music that honestly says tom gabel on it. but if you're ever feeling suicidal then listen to 'searching for a former clarity' followed by 'walking is still honest' followed by "tonight we give it 35 %" and you'll be doing yourself in and not remotely caring whether an adult with a right to a private existence takes this path or that, i still can't work out why anyone thinks they have a say on others private lives get your own life ffs and when it comes to against me! just listen to the fucking music!!

i can't believe we've done a continuation from folk to punk. but not mentioned jonny cash? poor guy!

Wow, bc and cu, I had the same thoughts and conversations several months back that punk was just folk music. Ya ha. YeH, musical snobbery and untangling threads. That's what I've been up to on the fringes, (ie, not in the accepted higher inner circle) with "traditional irish music" which I've realised is not as at all at all at all as traditional, if at all as it's promoted and secreted to be, so many of the tunes I love written I'm last fifty years... And all the local styles and accents.... The organisation that "standardise it" basically a money club... Can and can't do, you realise there's a lot more rules than in other things its not the loose free thing you thought it was and most certainly is a discipline, way if life to be studied... Great it can now be studied in a university! That's very folky traditional. Hello bhm
It's intriguing how genres like punk and traditional Irish music provoke discussions about authenticity and evolution. Exploring the fringes of traditional Irish music has revealed its complex blend of tradition and modernity. Realizing the nuances and rules involved in the genre has been eye-opening. Despite its evolution, traditional music remains a rich discipline worthy of study, even now in universities. Cheers to embracing music's ever-evolving nature!