Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs situation in Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterego.shadow

Bluelighter
In about 2 weeks time I'll be travelling to SE Asia. I want to know if anyone here knows about the current drug situation there. I'm interested in smoking weed and opium, and possibly dropping some xtc while I'm there.

I know Thailand is the most sparce in terms of drugs. Is there a possibility of finding some xtc there, maybe at a club or something? What about weed, is it easy to find there? I'm not asking for a source, just asking about how prevalent it is there.

What about Laos and Cambodia. I know in the past it was like the wild west there, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted. I've seen videos on youtube of people going to a diner and ordering weed, opium, and mushrooms right off the menu. But I've read that recently some foreigners have gotten in big trouble there for drugs (mostly trying to smuggle them out of the country, something I have no interest in doing). Have things changed?

If anyone has any first or second hand information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

There's already a thread about this somewhere. Dont mess with thailand, not worth the risks. Cambodia has stuff everywhere just know where to look. You will find it difficult to find any 'xtc' over in most of those places. They will have meth bomb pills known as 'yabba' though.

You will find a lot of restaraunts still have a 'happy menu.' Just be careful and use your brain :)

theres already a big thread about this that also had recent posts sooooo the search engine is ya friend... anyway, Thailand and possibly Laos is very risky gettin involved in illicit drugs, Cambodia on the other hand... ;)

All these countries are pretty harsh on drugs if you get caught, from what I can tell out of the 3 countries listed Thailand is probably the toughest on drugs and the most likely one to get set up in, that said this doesn't mean that doesn't happen in Cambodia and Laos.

I have never been but I imagine cannabis is like anywhere else in the world, easy to find and generally tolerated but the problem is you just need one overzealous cop to send your ass to jail. Cambodia used to have a bit of a reputation as being very tolerant to buds, I think they have tried to change this in recent years by cracking down on 'happy pizza's' but overall it is still pretty tolerant.

I have read that Laos is your best bet for finding opium, although you might get lucky elsewhere. As others have said finding ecstasy probably isn't overly likely, but who knows, IIRC a record safrole burn by LE in Cambodia a few years ago has been blamed as a factor on the MDMA drought.

I have never been to South East Asia, so everything I have said is really based on shit that I have read, but I have been reading a lot on it lately as I am considering going myself. There definately is a MUCH greater risk associated with illicit drug use in these countries than there is in Australia, so bear this in mind before deciding if its really worth it, and be discrete.

There is a Thailand specific thread floating around with a lot of recent posts in it, it might be worth a look.

I've been to all the countries you mentioned.

Thailand: probably the strictest on drugs in terms of enforcement. also, there is less chance of you been offered drugs by motorcycle taxi drivers or tuk tuk drivers. this is the country where you should exercise the most caution as set ups are more likely and bribes will be very high (if even offered). Weed is pretty prevelent, and in certain places you will be asked now and again if you want to buy any. it is pretty crappy quality though. I was there in 2007 & 2008 and pills were kind of common with young Thai people. I never used them there, so I can't comment on if there good. At the fullmoon party in Koh Phagnan you are likely to be asked if you want any. alot of the pills back in the day were bunk or adulterated so I'm sure the situation is worse now. Its also a favoured tactic by the cops to bust you and get a bribe. The going rate for one pill is $1500 US, kiss your arse goodbye if your not wealthy. You'd be unlikely to be offered drugs like XTC in clubs, and it would be dangerous to ask around. Police occassionally raid clubs and drug test people, plus undercover cops in clubs is not unheard of. I would very weary of anyone offering you drugs at a club in bangkok too. You'd have to get in with some young thai people for it to be even close to safe.

Cambodia: You'll be offered drugs everywhere. marijuana, heroin, meth and opium are the big ones. Alot of bars and other places will sell weed at the least. better quality than thailand. Police enforcement is pretty lax in cambodia, but still be careful because if you are caught the penalities are very severe. Can't comment about XTC, was never offered it.

Laos: I hear it is a bit stricter than in cambodia. Being set up with drugs is a bit more common, and don't use any drugs bought at bars or resturants outside of that area, because you are not under their 'protection' if you consume them outside of these establishments. Whilst in a well known backpacker and party town, there were numerous stories of travellers been busted smoking weed or with mushrooms and having to pay around $400-$700 US to get out of it. The opium in Laos is very good. Can't comment about XTC, was never offered it.

I too am heading over there in 11 days, mainly thailand but laos and cambodia is also on the cards. So I am also interested in the current situation in the 3 above mentioned countries.

Cambodia, weed is a small fine. maybe a few hundred $ for a pill or so of xtc or a bit of heroin
laos you're fucked either way so stay away from tourist afreas and pay the suppliers a tip if they have two different kids.

Cambodia, weed is a small fine. maybe a few hundred $ for a pill or so of xtc or a bit of heroin
laos you're fucked either way so stay away from tourist afreas and pay the suppliers a tip if they have two different kids.

Huh? I'm not sure I really see what your getting at with the last sentence.

A word of warning with SE Asia. Steer clear if anyone offers you 'cocaine', unless you can absolutely trust them. alot of the time it might be heroin, as this is one of the worlds biggest heroin producing areas. That said, I did get some good coke in Thailand, but I have friends that live there so it wasn't like buying off some tuk tuk guy.

Also, probably a good idea to steer clear from pills atm. They were pretty nortorious for being bunk or adulterated several years ago, and if global trends are anything to go by, the situation will be alot worse. At best you might get 'yaba' which is meth in a pill.

Everything I would have said has already been covered here. I didn't use whilst I was in Thailand, apart from some pharmaceuticals but even those you can be busted for especially in Phuket.

In Cambodia everything is OTC at their pharmacies, so see if you can get anything interesting. I have heard some pharmacies, especially ones in tourist areas, will sell fake pharmaceuticals (fake morphine for example), but it is possible to get the real thing.

It really just sounds like its not worth it over there man. Especially thailand they love to set your ass up and then take you for everything you have with a bribe, and if not able to pay you can spend a long time in a Thai jail or depending on the amount death.

Everything I would have said has already been covered here. I didn't use whilst I was in Thailand, apart from some pharmaceuticals but even those you can be busted for especially in Phuket.

In Cambodia everything is OTC at their pharmacies, so see if you can get anything interesting. I have heard some pharmacies, especially ones in tourist areas, will sell fake pharmaceuticals (fake morphine for example), but it is possible to get the real thing.

I know valium is readily available in pharms in Cambodia and Laos. I didn't really know much about opiates then so never asked (silly me). I know I asked for ketamine and they either didn't know what I was talking about or just gave me dirty looks. ditto amphetamines.

Some pharmacies in thailand will sell rx amphetamines, but you still run into trouble with the law if you are caught with them. but alot safer than buying off the street.

^^ sorry but what do you mean rx amphetamines?

out of curiosity, do you know if they sell psudo over the counter in thailand?

I am pretty sure you can pseudoephedrine over there, just that pure pseudoephedrine products are hospital only medicines. Pseudoephedrine in a pharmacy is combined with one other ingredient at minimum.

this is very true....downed 120mgs of oral morphine crushed in Cambodia and got less of a buzz than off 20mg of Oxycodone...i have no idea what that shit was but not morphine. The pharmacy was the one in Phnom Penh next to the night market, so beware. French morphine tablets.

I know valium is readily available in pharms in Cambodia and Laos. I didn't really know much about opiates then so never asked (silly me). I know I asked for ketamine and they either didn't know what I was talking about or just gave me dirty looks. ditto amphetamines.

Some pharmacies in thailand will sell rx amphetamines, but you still run into trouble with the law if you are caught with them. but alot safer than buying off the street.

Valium in Cambodia no questions asked-20 times 10mg tablets for....here goes.....$[snip] for the Cambodian version.Works as well as Roche.

Also DHC no questions asked. Oxycodone non-existant. Morphine you have to fish around and pay up (well, sort of...[snip] bucks).

That's what i came across. High grade speed and heroin everywhere on teh streets, especially by the river and the lake in PP. Some kiddies even sell opium along the river, but why bother with all the other stuff around. The H is very clean here, so take in bumps, not small lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on webehigh.com that you can get weed on koh phi phi don (island near phucket) in Thailand pretty easily without much risk from the cops. Because there simply aren't that many cops there. Anyone ever been there?

Some of the discussion in this thread is verging on availability discussion and I am certain belarki will have edited the price of valium out by the time I drag my arse out of bed tommorrow.

What was it, did you ever consider that oxycodone has a very high oral bioavailability where morphines is like 30% at best. As I understand it, it may even be less for naive users, and chronic users eventually get more from oral morphine due to either a build up in the system or an increased ability to metabolise it.

120mgs of oral morphine is equivalent to 40mgs making it to your brain at best. If it was a controlled release formulation which I suspect it was, crushing would not neccessarily entirely bypass this making your dose even less effective.

Codeine has a bioavailability of over 90% and on average 10% is converted to morphine in the liver. That means that a 400mg dose of codeine would have as much morphine in your system (assuming your not enzyme deficient) as well as the presence of other codeine metabolites. Not only this, but CWE codeine hits almost instantly while even crushed ER tablets can have a very slow onset.

I would also add, that I find oxycodone easier to appreciate in lower relative doses than morphine, I actually prefer morphines high but oxy is more stimulating and I can appreciate mild stimulation and a sense of wellbeing, when it comes to morphine I just am not that satisfied if I am not nodding or atleast close.

Not trying to derail this thread into comparison of different opiates, and I am certainly not trying to argue that fake pharmaceuticals, however I do believe in what was thats case there is a strong possibility that he was simply unaware of relative dose conversions as opposed to being sold fake drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.