• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos why does xanax cause hiccups

bnghit3

Bluelighter
Is this just me, or do others experience this as well? It can be annoying. Is it just xanax or all benzos?

benzos relax muscles, so through that action it relaxes some sphincter that causes you to get hiccups.

i dont know what sphincter it is and sorry to be so vague but all i know is that's why it happens.

Yeah its annoying when trying to smoke, but kinda to benzo'd out to care

rohpynol gives me bad gas, sometimes bouts of diahrrea. I plan on snorting these from now on, as obviously this would be the most logical method of consumption. Smoking seems to cause a gagging reflex, much worse than hiccups. :X

Whenever I combine Xanax with an opiate = hiccups.

My guess is that it has to do with respiratory depression.

According to wikipedia, xanax, librium, valium, midazolam, versed, ativan... Maybe a few others, are all benzos which exhibit hiccups as a side effect. Things like electro-lyte balance, carbonated beverages, and allergic reactions can all cause hiccups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiccup

Once i got hold of a load of 5 mg diazepam & decided to take 30 mg. I had the hiccups for like 6 hours!

i personally think it's because your mouth and throat get dry when on xanax and then if you try to eat your stomach uses the food to help push fluids up twards your very dry throat

I've been taking xanax daily for 8+ of the past 10 years. And opiates near daily the past 10 years, as well. Never gotten hiccups.

THAT HAPPENED TO ME ALL OF THE TIME

i was in class and my teacher asked me, what the fuck is wrong with you, and I just started laughing... well I was on benzos after all, so I didn't care that everyone was pissed off that I as hiccuping all class long.

This seems to happen primarily with higher doses for most...

Your diaphragm, which causes hiccups, is a muscle so it would make sense if a muscle relaxer may cause hiccups.

sorry to bump this thread from the dead, but am in need of some advice.

haven't taken benzos in over 2 months, buddy gave me 2 2mg bars. took 4mg yesterday over the course of the day, and had hiccups all last night and for 2 hours after waking up..... what the fuck...……….

does anyone know if there is anything I can do to remedy this? Obviously not take anymore benzos... but I've tried everything in the book from holding my breath to biking intensely for over 5 miles...……….

starting to hurt as well as being embarrarssing. should I go to a doctor if they don't go away at some point today????? More embarrassing than unformattable at the moment, but I'm not able to eat because the constant hiccups are upsetting my stomach to the point of feeling nauseaous.

please any help... stand on my heat while patting my stomach.... fuck whatever I'm willing to try it at this point.

^^ I have a lot of folk remedies that work for me, but not for most.

If they last >24hours I would go to an urgent care clinic or better just the damn ER / A&E. At 24 hours it's interferred with your life to the extent you need immediate care. It's not healthy for you in several ways, minor but still - that constant shocking of the abdomen can't be fun for at least a few days afterwards. I think you'd be sore

Has it been uninterrupted ? Were you able to sleep? Maybe laying down and trying to nap / fake sleep would slow your breathing enough to stop the fuckers. Or if you know CBT techniques try the old breath in, hold, long exhale - for slowing the body's activity.

Hot shit on a stick in the sand, I wouldn't want those but have suffered them for > 6 hrs on dope as a beginner junkie, it tends to go away with longer term use. Not a reason to use more.

Edit: funny thinkg is they may shoot you up with Ativan to try to stop them. Not sure what standard protocols are these days but benzos used to be one of the one used to stop the fuckers. Probably a more specific muscle relaxant, maybe baclofen, though that's a general muscle relaxant , imo.

They finally went away after hours and hours, to the point I was feeling nauseous, on the verge of burping up vomit, and a really sore throat and abdomen muscles. After trying everything I could think of, they sort of just subsided after I took another small dose.
^^ I have a lot of folk remedies that work for me, but not for most.

If they last >24hours I would go to an urgent care clinic or better just the damn ER / A&E. At 24 hours it's interferred with your life to the extent you need immediate care. It's not healthy for you in several ways, minor but still - that constant shocking of the abdomen can't be fun for at least a few days afterwards. I think you'd be sore

Has it been uninterrupted ? Were you able to sleep? Maybe laying down and trying to nap / fake sleep would slow your breathing enough to stop the fuckers. Or if you know CBT techniques try the old breath in, hold, long exhale - for slowing the body's activity.

Hot shit on a stick in the sand, I wouldn't want those but have suffered them for > 6 hrs on dope as a beginner junkie, it tends to go away with longer term use. Not a reason to use more.

Edit: funny thinkg is they may shoot you up with Ativan to try to stop them. Not sure what standard protocols are these days but benzos used to be one of the one used to stop the fuckers. Probably a more specific muscle relaxant, maybe baclofen, though that's a general muscle relaxant , imo.
not sure what it was.. came on with the benzo dose then subsided with more benzos... I was thinking some sort of muscle relaxant causing it as well, like maybe a certain muscle groups becoming too relaxed and sort of wigging out... idk... fuckin hate them

thanks for the response though. :)

Glad you're better, does seem odd that more benzos did the trick, but as I mentioned I think many ERs would slam you with Ativan after observing them for awhile. Wouldn't seem practical to give somthing solid by mouth. Maybe midazolam or triazolam.

Anyway, glad they're gone.

Xanax is the only benzo that does this! I think Clonazepam a few times but valium, never! It's bizarre and when it happens it's never ceases aaahhh!!!

I have (as an occasional benzo taker) experienced this. I get these violent, almost painful hiccups on 2mg+ doses of clonepam and alprazolam. Really sucks when it happens.

Usually it seems to trigger after I'm still/silent for a while then get up, speak, sing, etc.

I have found that deep, slow breathing and mentally focusing on relaxing the diaphram muscle helps stop the hiccups usually.

The traditional remedies such as drinking water slowly or holding your breath for 10 sec might work but really you want to try to breath deeply and control your diaphram. Don't tense up or chug water it'll just make the spasms worse

Hope this helps. I've been through this myself and it can be pretty scary in the moment.

Acid reflux, most benzos do this. This is more of a side-effect, I for one, I never encountered. Hiccups are caused by the irritation of the diaphragm.