• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom causing panic attacks????

Sorry for the old thread guys, but I was wondering if anyone (other than myself) has ever awakened repeatedly with panic attack-like symptoms after taking kratom.

This happened to me the last time I took it. I woke up multiple times--very suddenly--that night with a racing heart. Waking up like that worries me.

I generally do something like 6 or 7 teaspoons every other evening.

(This is my first post btw, so 'hi')

Yeah , that's a really large dose. I just measured my powder yesterday, and found that a teaspoon contains about 3 grams. So you're taking around 20 grams, which is on the very high end.

My teaspoons weigh ~1.5-1.6 grams based on the measurements I just took, but I've probably done larger ones when I was in a rush or something...

Lower your dose, I'm surprised you've never seen kratom associated with anxiety Lifted-Gift... it's quite common. There's a few reasons that I'm aware of. Either the dose is too high, your tolerance is really high, or your one of the unlucky few who don't tolerate the yohimbine like alkaloids present in kratom. Problem one is easily solved by lowering your dose, problem two means that It's time for a break, in fact it's the reason I'm 2 weeks clean from kratom... my doses just started making me incredibly restless and there was no euphoria, very unplesant. Anyways if your in the group that doesn't tolerate the stimulant alkaloids, tough shit...kratom isn't for you.

Another possibility can be the strain your using, have you switched strains recently? I find that some strains like green vein maeng da and kalimantan white vein make me restless more than other strains. And lastly I just realized that you may be in the beginning of dependancy. When I'm dependant on kratom I always wake up in the middle of the night in withdrawal and it's resolved if I take a small gram or so dose. Next time this happens try taking a small amount of kratom, if your issues go away that means your treading on thin ice and in this case you should give it a break. Hope this helps but srsly, lower your dose and get a cheap $10 scale from Amazon so you know what your taking, dosage wise. If you require that much kratom and you only use every other day your either getting shitty kratom or chasing something that's not there. There becomes a point where the stimulant alkaloids overtake the pleasant effects, for me at least...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm glad I'm not alone here. I use kratom to relieve my GAD sometimes so I'm not always using benzos. But I'm also scripted Vyvanse for ADHD which causes some minor anxiety. I've had the script for about a year now so I have tolerance and I never abuse it. Mixing benzos with the Vyvanse usually kills most of the anxiety without dulling the stim too much if the dose is right, so I wanted to try the same with kratom. I'd already mixed weak opiates like codeine with the Vyv but all I got was a stomach ache. The kratom feels stronger than codeine to me so I was hoping it'd do the trick. It's red Bali kratom too so it's quite a sedating strain, and it's powdered leaf, not an extract or headshop rubbish. I previously smoked weed on this kratom without any issues aside from the usual mild weed paranoia.

Long story short, in the morning I took my usual 30mg Vyvanse dose and about 2.5 grams of kratom. I've been using kratom daily for a week at this point (but previously skipping the Vyvanse) so I was comfortable with it and have a little tolerance.

I had a good day on this combo and it wasn't until about six hours later as the Vyvanse was wearing off things turned bad. Suddenly I feel my heart beating out my chest. I figure it's the regular comedown so I took a little more kratom, only around 500mg, to calm me a little more.

But about 10-20 minutes later I was having a full blown panic attack. Not just a few panic attack symptoms, I mean I was so hot I was sweating, my heart rate went through the roof, I was breathing fast, I was trembling, I felt impending doom like I was about to die, I kept feeling sick, I had derealisation, and I felt so lightheaded and dizzy it was like I was about to faint.

It was fucking horrible, unmistakably a real panic attack no question. I took benzos and laid down for a few hours and slowly it got better. But it seriously took hours to go away fully even with benzos.

Once it was over I started feeling the positive effects of kratom again, it was still in my system working but the Vyv had worn off by that point. So I can only guess the two interacted very badly.

Lesson learned the painful way: do not mix amphetamine and kratom if you have anxiety. Kratom does not take the edge off stims like benzos do.

I combined kratom with a peak shroom experience. Horrible idea, kratom somehow enhanced the trip 2 fold. Kratom is a weird drug, very atypical. Easy for the effects to be lost in the background. Then WHAM, right in your face.

I combined kratom with a peak shroom experience. Horrible idea, kratom somehow enhanced the trip 2 fold. Kratom is a weird drug, very atypical. Easy for the effects to be lost in the background. Then WHAM, right in your face.

That sounds like exactly what happened to me. I'm glad I worked out the cause of my panic attack, I was worried my anxiety disorder could be getting worse. Good to know it's just a bad drug reaction.

Kratom is reportedly a mild hallucinogenic in it's own right so you should be expecting psychedelic angst at the very least when you combine it with other substances with a similar effect.

In my case I only combined it with Vyvanse and it still gave me a severe panic attack. Not fun at all. Learn from my mistake people.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm glad I'm not alone here. I use kratom to relieve my GAD sometimes so I'm not always using benzos. But I'm also scripted Vyvanse for ADHD which causes some minor anxiety. I've had the script for about a year now so I have tolerance and I never abuse it. Mixing benzos with the Vyvanse usually kills most of the anxiety without dulling the stim too much if the dose is right, so I wanted to try the same with kratom. I'd already mixed weak opiates like codeine with the Vyv but all I got was a stomach ache. The kratom feels stronger than codeine to me so I was hoping it'd do the trick. It's red Bali kratom too so it's quite a sedating strain, and it's powdered leaf, not an extract or headshop rubbish. I previously smoked weed on this kratom without any issues aside from the usual mild weed paranoia.

Long story short, in the morning I took my usual 30mg Vyvanse dose and about 2.5 grams of kratom. I've been using kratom daily for a week at this point (but previously skipping the Vyvanse) so I was comfortable with it and have a little tolerance.

I had a good day on this combo and it wasn't until about six hours later as the Vyvanse was wearing off things turned bad. Suddenly I feel my heart beating out my chest. I figure it's the regular comedown so I took a little more kratom, only around 500mg, to calm me a little more.

But about 10-20 minutes later I was having a full blown panic attack. Not just a few panic attack symptoms, I mean I was so hot I was sweating, my heart rate went through the roof, I was breathing fast, I was trembling, I felt impending doom like I was about to die, I kept feeling sick, I had derealisation, and I felt so lightheaded and dizzy it was like I was about to faint.

It was fucking horrible, unmistakably a real panic attack no question. I took benzos and laid down for a few hours and slowly it got better. But it seriously took hours to go away fully even with benzos.

Once it was over I started feeling the positive effects of kratom again, it was still in my system working but the Vyv had worn off by that point. So I can only guess the two interacted very badly.

Lesson learned the painful way: do not mix amphetamine and kratom if you have anxiety. Kratom does not take the edge off stims like benzos do.

While I'm sorry to hear about your experience and can certainly IMAGINE the same happening to me IF I used too much, I don't think your experience is universal as I have GAD and have combined Dexadrine with Kratom several times and found the combination to be incredibly euphoric and a lot of fun.

Granted, both are stimulants, so there's no question that on the wrong day or in general the combo of too much of them together could cause panic, I mean it's just a given.

BUT...to simply flat out say "NOBODY with anxiety should EVER combine an amphetamine with Kratom" is going too far.

It's like combining any two drugs that are fun together but can POSSIBLY have a bad interaction: proceed at your own risk and you might get lucky and have a great time or get unlucky and have a bad reaction.

It's not simply as clear cut as say, not combining MAOIs with SSRIs or not combining a large dose of Oxycodone with 12 beers lol...those are REAL counterindications as opposed to the one you mentioned.

Me personally, I look forward to mixing LOW doses of dex (2.5mgs-5mgs) with my abnormally high Kratom (doses 12-14grs...I know I know, crazy high tolerance) again....but I've always been wary that I COULD have a bad reaction and keep my Klonopin close by my side just in case...in fact, I'm usually ALSO on Klonopin when I combine the two and that seems to smooth things out.

You're right, everyone is different, is just my experience and I wrote that just after the panic attack.

I usually do not get panic attacks, rarely is my anxiety that severe, so for that to happen was a very bad reaction in my book and there's no way I'd repeat that combo again. Especially when my doses of both drugs were low, it's not like I was going nuts with them.

Kratom on its own is still very good and I also enjoy it with benzos, in fact without the amphetamine involved I find kratom does have a strong anxiolytic effect much like a traditional opiate. By all means use kratom for anxiety. But I would still recommend anyone with anxiety exercise caution if they combine it with stims in case they get a reaction like mine, and simply don't make the mistake I did which is assuming kratom would act as a straight downer rather than also acting as a mild stimulant.

I have a pretty high opiate tolerance.

If I take 8-12 grams of Kratom, I get an anxius stimulation. If I take 15 grams I get trailed vision, extreme dizziness, an elevated HR and I can barely walk. I used to tolerate it well and get some positive effects out of it until once upon time I took entirely too much and had the experience in the last sentence. I, seriously, thought that I was going to die.

I wish I could maintain on Kratom but anything below 7 grams I can't feel and anything above I get weird symptoms.

Holy crap your post was too big to read honestly. If you get anxiety attacks from kratom stop consuming kratom ?

Yes i had a panic attack the first time i used kratom.It was about 5 hours after my first dose and i think i did to much.I did 2 big tea spoons.At first i felt cool but about 5 hours latter i felt like i was having a heart attack.it lasted about 10 or 15 minutes then was gone.Wow!!!!!!!