The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Law around meth pipes

dcMonsta

Greenlighter
Hi. I am a long time Crystal Meth user (have been using for about 12 years). Now I have a pretty good understanding of how powerful and dangerous this drug is but making glass pipes difficult to obtain actually causes more harm than good:

When I first used Ice I was an intravenous drug user. For the better part of my twenties I was addicted to the needle but somehow I actually manage to overcome it and for the last seven years I have only smoked Ice and never injected it. I know my story is unusual as once most people inject they never want to do the drug any other way. In my case I just came to a realisation over many years that IV drug use is the pits and so exponentially more self hamring than any other way of doing drugs (plus I also find that smoking meth and taking GHB is the best high possibly obtainable!)

HOWEVER! - I recently purged my home of all using paraphernalia (a routine process I do sometimes to remove temptation). I.e. I threw my pipe out. Anyway the next time I went to use Meth I went to all the usual convenience stores on Oxford Street where I used to buy pipes and they would not sell to me! I must have looked too clean and respectable or something.

Anyway in the end I blasted it as all the other methods of administration did not appeal. Because of course hyper-dermic needles are readily available FREE in Sydney. I hate the fact I did this as the junkie lifestyle was something I put to bed many years ago and will never go back there.

So after being awake for a few days I went back to the convenience store (the SAME one) and bought a pipe no problem. I guess I must have looked dodgy enough? lol

So my point is making paraphernalia for smoking Meth difficult to obtain actually causes more harm! I will never throw this pipe out now but I am pissed off at self righteous law makers making decisions that detrimentally affect drug users because they have no understanding of the culture and the human condition around it.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Everyone around me breaks pipes daily, my first sturdy one lasted me 4 months I only ever ended up smashing it on purpose. They're fairly easy to make but I don't have a lot of glass tubes and Ive been using so much less since I haven't had a beautiful pipe in my room enticing me, so I'll now make my temporary christmas bulb, attach a pen and blow a whole through the top. Work good, I usually smash them afterwards.

Some people have PM'd me asking how I got off the needle. Unfortunately I cannot reply as i have only Greenlighter status so I will post my story here:

I totally empathise with remember the days of wearing long sleeve shirts in summer! As to how I got off the needle - well I think I got a kick start when I entered into a relationship with a guy from overseas and I ended up moving to his home country with him and living there for for about 7 months. During this time I did drugs only once and even then only a few E's. So I basically got 7 months of clean time to clear my head.

When the relationship ended and I got back to Sydney I found that pretty much EVERYONE was smoking ice; it had become "socially acceptable" in my scene. Whereas before I used to use alone I could smoke with my friends in a social / dance party context. And THEN I discovered the feeling of GHB (GBL) on top of ice: nothing short of the best high I have ever had (even compared to slamming coke). So I started to have fun with drugs again. I could smoke the pipe and do a shot of G then go out and dance like a maniac all night. (Btw G can be a very dangerous drug please thoroughly research about it before using if you havent before).

So after 7 years of this I hadn't touched a needle and now they don't even trigger me at all if I see one. Even the fact I did it the other week doesn't bother me any more - I have no desire to go back to the horrid junkie lifestyle.

Sorry about the essay but in summary I guess I got a second lease on my drug taking life; a chance for it to be fun again and I went through such hell during my IV days I will never ever go back there. I'm also in my 30s now and the idea of injecting actually scares the shit out of me re: an overdose / risk of infection etc.

I really hope this helps a little. I went to the depths of despair and beyond from the needle but it IS possible to get over it. :)

Please pardon me for digging up this old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent one dealing with bulb pipe availability.

Today I went to a local tobacco shop to pick up a few of the cheap, Chinese bulb pipes, the variety that come with a flower stuck in the stem, to replace the failing two that I have. I was surprised to be told that they are now illegal, after having bought them over the counter just last summer. I don't want to give away too much about my location, but it is in the Western United States. I hadn't heard anything about a ban despite browsing forums like this one regularly, and even knowing about it haven't been able to find an announcement of it online, nor any details or whether it is a city, state or federal ban. If anyone can shed some light I would really appreciate it. I would like to know whether it is the sale or the possession which had become illegal before looking for an online source. Crazy, that ignorance of the law is no excuse when it is so well hidden.

Please pardon me for digging up this old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent one dealing with bulb pipe availability.

Today I went to a local tobacco shop to pick up a few of the cheap, Chinese bulb pipes, the variety that come with a flower stuck in the stem, to replace the failing two that I have. I was surprised to be told that they are now illegal, after having bought them over the counter just last summer. I don't want to give away too much about my location, but it is in the Western United States. I hadn't heard anything about a ban despite browsing forums like this one regularly, and even knowing about it haven't been able to find an announcement of it online, nor any details or whether it is a city, state or federal ban. If anyone can shed some light I would really appreciate it. I would like to know whether it is the sale or the possession which had become illegal before looking for an online source. Crazy, that ignorance of the law is no excuse when it is so well hidden.

I'm not sure whether or not we're actually supposed to discuss legal issues like this, because we aren't supposed to ask questions about drug laws, since the law varies so much from place to place, making it difficult to give an accurate answer, plus we don't want to be seen as helping anyone break the law. However, the legal forum on Bluelight was recently closed, and I did read a thread saying some legal discussion would be permitted in certain forums, so I'm not sure where this fits. Anyway, there's a pretty easy answer to this one, just look up the law for your state. Try a few different search terms. I can't tell you about your specific location since you didn't even provide it, but, for example, I was able to find out with a quick Google search that in California meth pipes are illegal.

The possession of certain drug paraphernalia and the state of California is illegal. In Orange County, California, and throughout Southern California, the possession of drug paraphernalia such as methamphetamine pipes, needles, straws used for sniffing cocaine, crack pipes, free base cocaine pipes, and various other ingenious contraptions the purpose of which is ingesting drugs, is illegal.
http://www.keithbrunolaw.com/Criminal-Defense/Drug-Crimes/Possession-of-Drug-Paraphernalia.shtml

Section 11364 of the California Health and Safety Code governs the possession of drug paraphernalia. You can be charged with drug paraphernalia possession even if you do not use the item for drugs. Store owners can be prosecuted if they sell anything that resembles paraphernalia. In fact, no person is allowed to maintain or operate a business in which drug paraphernalia is kept, displayed or offered in any manner, sold, furnished, transferred or given away unless the paraphernalia is completely and wholly kept or displayed within a separate room or enclosure to which people under the age of 18 are not allowed without an adult. It is also a crime to allow anyone under the age of 18 to be unaccompanied by an adult in an area where paraphernalia is kept.
http://www.wklaw.com/possession-drug-paraphernalia-overview.html

I would assume that the way some stores were getting around this was by pretending that they were not meant for the purpose of smoking drugs, and that perhaps law enforcement has recently been cracking down and basically saying "hey, we know what those are really used for so stop selling them".

Yeah pipes for methamphetamine IIRC have always been illegal in the state of CA...

as far as i know theyve always either been illegal or 'grey area' sort of thing , everywhere . shops just sell them till they get told to stop IME , which is why they dont sell to straight looking people , cause they could be undercovers .

Here, you just walk into the Headshops and ask for a tweak pipe and they know what you're looking for, I don't care at all for vaporization of crystal, it's worse than IV in my eyes. Headshops are notorious for bending the rules though, and really only are there for the holy dollar. Capitalist problems for a capitalist society.

That would make sense. Maybe 4/20 prompted them to tighten up. Mainly I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of recent federal legislation, like we have with RCs. I'm surprised legal discussion was stopped here, since many people, like me in this case, are asking so as to not violate the law, which can't be done if the law is secret. Anyway, I'll look for answers in more local news. Thanks.

Yes, but not finding anything I wanted to know if I missed anything. Apparently not. These pipes are all over ebay, from the US to the US with no apparent restrictions. So I guess it's a local thing.

i can get a meth/dmt pipe from almost any gas station/mini market in my area for NO PRICES, some places even have some worked glass bolos. and of course every headshop has a wide selection that have all kinds of loops and twists in the pipe kind of cool but over kill with all the designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ No price discussion, please edit your post and remove the prices...

dcMonsta - I totally agree with your point of view... law makers obviously have the mindset that by making pipes illegal will drastically lower people buying & using meth - as your post clearly shows, it doesn't! It probably has had an effect on people using, though is it enough to warrant making the sale of pipes illegal? At the end of the day if someone really wants to do something, they will find a way, especially if there is addiction or just a strong desire involved.

I watched someone try to use the light bulb method in a frustrated mood because their proper meth pipe cracked, and while trying to get the cap off the bulb they cut their hand to shit because they crushed the light bulb. I didn't really enjoy waiting in the ER at hospital for over 5hrs - but again, possibly he was seen as scum or something by the triage nurse and wasn't that much of a priority. I can only speculate though. 8(

As for sources... I wouldn't have a clue these days. I used to only buy one when getting on it for the weekend, then get rid of it. My next attempt I was told that they're illegal 'now', even though they were at the time I used to get them - and was even served by the same person that would surely have remembered my face. I felt like walking around the counter and asking to look inside the cardboard box they usually had on the floor. You surely still would be able to get them, just a matter of looking the right way :X Total bullshit.

PeacePipeChief - yeah I think they have always been in that 'grey' area, because it's pretty clear what they are used for... though with so much success with the 'War on drugs' 8( I guess making sale of them illegal would be another success! Pfft.

Anyway will end my rant... my brain is telling me to get my ass to bed lol - which means I'll probably listen in about half hr ;)

~pharm_friendly~

Today I went to a local tobacco shop to pick up a few of the cheap, Chinese bulb pipes, the variety that come with a flower stuck in the stem, to replace the failing two that I have. I was surprised to be told that they are now illegal, after having bought them over the counter just last summer. I don't want to give away too much about my location, but it is in the Western United States.

Sounds like a similar situation to the OP. You looked too clean cut and could've been LE to them. Or they really did stop from selling them as openly. But every tobacco shop I've ever gone to buy one, and I've lived all up and down west coast, you've had to ask for them specifically. They don't have them on offer in their glass displays.

But if they are in fact more challenging now to obtain, I wonder when this went into effect. I just purchased a few at my local head shop last month. Is there a new federal law?

Yes, but not finding anything I wanted to know if I missed anything. Apparently not. These pipes are all over ebay, from the US to the US with no apparent restrictions. So I guess it's a local thing.

I don't know about "no apparent restrictions". Remember Tommy Chong? That was already some years ago now when he was he was entrapped and made an example of for his son's online glass pipe store.

Last edited:
You don't call it a meth pipe, they're called oil burners. Supposedly for aromatherapy. I've also seen them sold as glass flowers, with them painted as a flower.

My source (a little shop) pulls out a whole box for you to pick a size when you ask for one, there's a few places around that sell them, sometimes they require you ask for it by a specific word and sometimes not. Seems there's a big price margin to be made!