• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine for Opiate Withdrawal

Have you ever thought of trying a moderate dose of loperamide? (And no, I am not trying to spark up a "loperamide fucks me up like heroin" debate).

Whenever I am facing a hard cold turkey w/d I get myself a 96 count bottle of Loperamide and take half of it the first day and half the next and it really helps knock the cravings off for me personally.

Have you ever thought of trying a moderate dose of loperamide? (And no, I am not trying to spark up a "loperamide fucks me up like heroin" debate).

Whenever I am facing a hard cold turkey w/d I get myself a 96 count bottle of Loperamide and take half of it the first day and half the next and it really helps knock the cravings off for me personally.

Wouldn't that constipate you beyond belief?

^Lope in my experience is no more constipating than other more traditional opiates. Lope is an opiate of sorts as well, just barely crossing the BBB. I am on MMT and while I have gotten used to it and am fine now, the first 6 months of 'done were more constipating then loperamide ever was. Lope works surprisingly well in curbing withdrawal symptoms.

^Lope in my experience is no more constipating than other more traditional opiates. Lope is an opiate of sorts as well, just barely crossing the BBB. I am on MMT and while I have gotten used to it and am fine now, the first 6 months of 'done were more constipating then loperamide ever was. Lope works surprisingly well in curbing withdrawal symptoms.

hmm I might have to try that. Once in a blue moon the dr office leaves me in the lurch because they decide to close randomly for 3 days and didn't refill my scripts..the lolgottastaveoffanywdperiod starts. I never considered lope for anything other than fighting diarrhea

hmm I might have to try that. Once in a blue moon the dr office leaves me in the lurch because they decide to close randomly for 3 days and didn't refill my scripts..the lolgottastaveoffanywdperiod starts. I never considered lope for anything other than fighting diarrhea

Yes, a high dose of loperamide (in my experience) does wonders for minimizing basically all w/d symptoms. The aches/pains, tearing, yawning, hot/cold sweats..The restless legs, insomnia.. It really does some magic, it is pretty wild. i never really believed it either, and then I tried it one time I didn't have any methadone for like five days. My w/d symptoms all but disappeared, and I even got some sleep that last night before i could finally go back to the clinic and get my 'done.

There are a number of really good threads about it, check out the search engine, or the directory.

Yes, a high dose of loperamide (in my experience) does wonders for minimizing basically all w/d symptoms. The aches/pains, tearing, yawning, hot/cold sweats..The restless legs, insomnia.. It really does some magic, it is pretty wild. i never really believed it either, and then I tried it one time I didn't have any methadone for like five days. My w/d symptoms all but disappeared, and I even got some sleep that last night before i could finally go back to the clinic and get my 'done.

There are a number of really good threads about it, check out the search engine, or the directory.

Have you ever tried Ultram for methadone WD.......I always thought that Tramedol(sp?) was totally useless but when I was kicking done last year and in the worst of the sickness I stumbled across some and just took it for the hell of it.

I actually felt a lot better and was able to get some sleep. I took 200-300mg a day for about a week until I started getting a bit better and didn't want to keep taking the ultram. I had already been sick for a couple weeks before starting that and the difference was night and day. I didn't really like the way it made me feel but it sure helped a lot of the symptoms.

I did get all the way through the sickness but was ignorant to PAWS. I thought that I would be like that for the rest of my life and that was just the way that being sober felt. I relapsed a couple months later and have been on done ever since.

When I do finally get ready to kick again I will be getting some of that to help me through though.

I get it, I really do. But in the long scheme of things, why use an opiate to get off one? You're not getting off anything like that. Maybe Im a more old schooler and I have kicked by myself so many times but, after the fourth day its a complete difference for me at least. Only time I ever had really bad W/d's more than 4 days was with Oxy Oral. You wanna use youre gonna pay the price of withdrawal. Better off just going through it if you want to and not get on another one because well that isnt getting off is it?

I also think that you appreciate a recreational use of opiates a lot more when you force yourself to cold turkey it. Really gives you a break to think about using for that third continuous day and so on...It sucks yea, but try it out...

Hi,

I've actually put this to the test so I have 1st hand experience which I hope will help you.

When I was using heroin (smoking via chasing the dragon) my tolerence had rose from 1 point (100mg) every 2-3 days to 1g (1000mg) every day. A close buddy was in the same situation, and he came across some 100mg time release codeine pills. They didn't do anything to him so after withdrawling for about 4-5 days (the hardest part) using benzos I took him up and got about 200 of those 100mg codeines.

Before I was only familiar with Tylenol 2, 3 & 4 being the highest.

At this point in my withdrawl I was still severely shaken up and couldn't get out of bed, I had the shits badly and had absolutley no motivation at all. If I would take 150mg-200mg chewed up codeine I was back to normal (not high like with H but functioning and clear headed).

I would say I abused them to shit b/c all I needed was 2-3 pills swallowed hole in the morning which I took daily along with 2 pills or so chewed up every 2-3hrs.

When I ran out of codeine I wanted something else desperatley so I got back to using H.

Conclusion:
- Codeine will definatley help your withdrawls, depending on which stage of w/d you are in I would say the first 24hrs-72hrs are the best time for codeine, and also perhaphs in the shits stages at the end in very small doses.

p.s. These time release codeines are relatively new here in Canada so I'm wondering if they are available in the States as well b/c these are very very handy to have and if you do have them for withdrawl purposes I would recommend swallowing them hole in spite of what is said that codeine itself is a potentator for the enzyme that helps convert it to morphine when taken in larger doses v.s. smaller doses, however your not there to get high but to ease the symptoms.

mod note: if you have something to add to your previous post please use the edit button instead of making another one - merged

Last edited by a moderator:
please i need help with a question so i didnt make the another therad im been of from heroin for like 80 days and i still miss a lot and im using iv coke and will i get high like a lot i took 13 T1 im going to feel some euphoria from because i live in brazil there is no treatment for heroin user they only use benzos.

codeine withdrawal is still opiate withdrawal. the codeine just has in inherent limiting factor bc only a certain amount can be converted to morphine (responsible for most of the fx) at one time. but the withdrawal still sucks trust me. its just not as extreme as oxy or heroin

I have been on mst 100mg twice a day for 3years and previously on oxy 40mg twice a day for 4 years, i now ran out of mst and having really bad withdrawls, I have coedine too and now taking about 300 mg for withdrawls and I wanna know if ism doing the right thing, ism feeling better, this is the first time I tried and it's working for me, before I never tried the coedine, I had many any withdrawls before and just sweated out, no sleep, pains in leg, pacing up and down stairs all day might, till I waited for my next script,

Unless you use a huge amount of codeine, you would still feel basically everything. And even if you do you would be just postponing your w/d.
If I were you I would look for things that could actually help with restlessness for instance. Search for medication that can help you with withdraw.
Or maybe try to get a prescription for 10-30 mg of methadone, just a little to help you to go through these first days.
However, it would only work if you use it like a SOS kit. Methadone for longer periods would be even harder to get off.

I'm on 200mg oxy per day,(yeah right), take as prescribed, & regularly go into acute wds... Codiene still helps, as does pregabalin .& lope.

Rtp

There is no such thing as Codeine withdrawal. Codeine (3-Methylmorphine) is metabolized in vivo to morphine at a 10:1 ration. This means that if you dose 30mgs of codeine, you will experience approximately 3mgs of morphine. You can go from there in developing a titration plan.

With that said, Codeine is a fine medicine to use when in withdrawal, depending of course on the size of your habit. If you need to use dosages of Codeine higher than the approved APAP daily limit, a cold water extraction has to be performed.

If you're looking to do a really short term detox, why not just get a little Suboxone? If you don't have any tolerance for it already, you can take it for like 5-6 days (IME, full agonist opiate WDs last exactly 7-8 days) and be completely fine afterwards. That's short enough where you won't build up an addiction to the Bupe (especially if you're taking very small doses) and it'll get you out of the woods almost completely pain free. Just have to worry about the first day and maybe some extremely minor (lethargy, depression) residual effects on the way out.

That's basically the same thing as what you're suggesting with the Codeine, though it'll be quicker and easier on your body. Neither really work for most people (myself included) because one week isn't long enough to get past that insane mental craving of wanting to get high. If you can do it, more power to you (either way) - but most people have success either going through it cold turkey and scaring themselves straight from how horrible it was or staying on maintenance doses of Sub/Methadone for at least a few months and then tapering down.

I'm not saying don't try it, different things work for different people - just letting you know there might be an easier solution out there. All the horror stories you hear about Bupe WD are from long term/high dose users. One week on a low dose isn't enough to become dependent on it. Ultimately though, the mental aspect is the toughest to conquer.

I disagree with this... You have to wait until you're in very uncomfortable withdrawal to start the sub. With codeine you can just start and lower your dosage.

Personally, using codeine has helped me for heroin withdrawal, both physically and as a way of breaking the habitual side of using H. I've used a taper method from, say, 350mg at first to less than 100 over the course of a week. As another poster said, loperamide is almost essential for me, both for its simple anti-diarrhoea qualities and for its symptom reducing magic. But yes, eventually you'll have to stop taking codeine and that's when the mental aspects of abstinence become more important than the physical. I.e boredom and wanting to get high. Kratom doesn't work for me, but keep busy and enjoy your new found lust for life. Good luck man, you'll get through it

By the way, by 'habitual' side of heroin use I mean the simple routine of shooting up or smoking or whatever.