• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Citalopram high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stay.Blazed.420

Bluelighter
Three days ago i was prescribed citalopram as a temporary fix until my referral to a clinical psychologist goes through. He said it would treat my ocd, anxiety and depression.

The first day i took one at 11 am and around 12 i noticed i definitely had increased mood lift. I would describe it as euphoria. my jaw was clenching intensely (almost as bad as e, it was literally chattering). The second day i noticed slight increase but wasn't as intense as day one.
Then today, the third day, i took one as soon as i woke up (around 1pm) and ended up having an episode of depressive mania because i started getting angry at myself and eventually me and my girlfriend got in a huge fight and i started punching walls so i took another one (around 12 midnight).

It is now three hours later and my jaw muscles are clenching a ridiculous amount, it feels like my stomach is pressurized and there's stomach contents that feel like they need to come up - however i'm experiencing no nausea. Only way i can describe this feeling is it's very similar to when you're coming up intensely on e and while you don't necessarily feel sick - you can tell within the next 15 mins your going to puke. That's how i felt the first day and right now. However i don't think i will puke.. I just keep drinking water.

I'm also experiencing mild euphoria i have a definite relaxed feeling, i can sit in my computer chair in almost any position and feel comfortable. There's nothing i can think of that's bugging me. I just overall feel a high. more stronger than smoking weed.

Can you even GET HIGH off citalopram? Or is my brain just so low on serotonin that now that i'm starting to rebuild some i'm starting to get back my happy feelings?

this happened to me. it lasted like 4 days and then went away. the drug didnt work on my depression or anxiety in any way. in fact, i think it made it a lot worse. others say it works really well though so, you know.

Sounds like you are taking too high a dose..

My friend got this from 40mg, while i have been on 60mgs (and have taken alot more in a day) and never got any such feelings..

What dose you on?

Tell your doctor they will probably lower the dose.

Oh and I don't recommend taking more than your prescribed amount..

The one time I took citalopram (S isomer) it gave me physical side effects indistinguishable from a moderate dose of LSD. Slightly tight jaw, excess salivation, tingling in limbs etc. Weird stuff, no 'high' to speak of.

Those are serotonin-related side effects for sure, I got identical effects from taking 150mg 5-HTP on a completely empty stomach.

Anyway, don't take more than your prescribed dose and please, please tell your doctor about this, he will most likely reduce your dose and see if the citalopram works after the usual 2-3 week grace period for SSRIs or prescribe you a benzo to help out with those symptoms.

I wouldn't call it a high either, I would call them side effects, but then again, "euphoria" is listed as a "side effect" for most recreational scheduled (prescription, obviously) drugs.

Either way, talk to your doctor if the symptoms don't go away and/or your depression doesn't get better. SSRIs are very unpredictable and sometimes can have the opposite effect, as other posters have mentioned.

I used to be on 20mg tablets of citalopram for my depression last summer and it seriously just made me worse. The only positive was that it killed my moods. I wasn't feeling depressed, but I wasn't feeling happy or contented - just nothing, but my anxiety and PTSD got worse. i camme off it pretty quickly, and for the 4-5 weeks I was on it, my memory is very sketchy.

My mum on the otherhand took the same as me and it's working for her. And it seems like it would work for you too but like others have said its like the dose you're on is too high. Definately talk to your doctor about this. Citalopram is one of those ones that is very unpredictable in how it affects a person.

just made me worse. The only positive was that it killed my moods. I wasn't feeling depressed, but I wasn't feeling happy or contented - just nothing,

the 20mg a day my doc prescribed me didnt do any good either. same as Iota...came off a while back against docs orders...bad withdrawals too. horrible little pill, full of fluoride aswell (dumb you down)

Your experiencing a lot of common side effects that you usually get from antidepressants when you start them for the first couple weeks. You may want to lower your dose because you are experiencing your fair share of them. I'm surprised your feeling anything similar to "euphoria" but it is a more rare side effect. Unfortunately for you, this will go away in at least a week like the other side effects. Don't expect to feel like you do right now on Citalopram. Although it may really help you out with your depression/anxiety.

So to answer your question: No, you cannot get high on Citalopram. Do not take more than your prescribed dose, you will just experience more side effects and most likely not feel too good.

The good thing is, I just re-read the OPs original post and he said this script is a temp fix, so Stay.Blazed.420, just make sure to be honest with your clinical psychologist when your referral does go through. :)

Those types of symptoms/side effects don't sound very unusual. I felt "different" a few days after starting my SSRI. I actually experienced slight CEV's if I concentrated when starting my SSRI, they still come and go. Kind of odd, but it does happen to me. It has only been a few weeks since I started, so we will see if they subside. They aren't bothersome, and not noticable if I don't concentrate, but definitely were triggered by the SSRI.

Those types of symptoms/side effects don't sound very unusual. I felt "different" a few days after starting my SSRI. I actually experienced slight CEV's if I concentrated when starting my SSRI, they still come and go. Kind of odd, but it does happen to me. It has only been a few weeks since I started, so we will see if they subside. They aren't bothersome, and not noticable if I don't concentrate, but definitely were triggered by the SSRI.

last night when i was falling asleep i noticed i was going in and out of dreams or something because i kept seeing images. my most vivid memory is sitting inside my car. but then id open my eyes and it hadnt felt like i was actually asleep.

also i took my normal dose when i woke up and im not feeling cold or shivers at all yet my jaw is shattering as though i was outside.

Yeah, jaw clench, and chatter isn't that uncommon from my understanding. SSRI's just take some getting use to, or maybe this one just isn't for you. Often side effects dissapear after a few weeks.

i'm really not interested in lowering my dose. after 12 full hours the effects are gone. i get bad anxiety and mood swings again. It's almost as though i should take one before bed and one when i wake up or something

Yeah, jaw clench, and chatter isn't that uncommon from my understanding. SSRI's just take some getting use to, or maybe this one just isn't for you. Often side effects dissapear after a few weeks.

my doc listed me as a potential drug seeker i'm pretty sure, ever since i asked for dex instead of concerta. so i don't want to ask him for anything, i'll wait for the psychologist.

he took me off concerta and put me on straterra for a brief period and the sexual side effects made me never want to take them again.
and yesterday when i was having sex with my girlfriend it was feeling RELLY good and i was really hard but i never got close to an orgasm and eventually i just got all tired and sweaty and started getting other things on my mind 'fuck i want a drink' 'fuck im hot' 'fuck why cant i cum' and eventually i just went limp and totally when bi polar and started feeling really depressed and kept thinking to myself 'wow you couldn't even fucking finish her, let alone yourself' 'you're a piece of shit' 'what kind of man can't even fuck his girlfriend' etc.. and that's how the big fight started as stated in OP because she was saying 'its okay its okay' but i just kept saying 'no its fucking not' and when she saw me take another citalopram she said 'wow that's fucking gay' (which was def the wrong thing to say when i feel like a piece of shit for not finishing my gf)

if i can't get off this is really gonna effect my life

Why don't you split your dose in half and take half your daily dose every 12 hours (twice daily) then? That might give you a more stable effect. The side effects will likely dissapear in a few weeks, but like I said some don't do well with SSRI's or citalopram in particular. Everyone is different.

Don't stress too much over the side effects, I know easier said then done, because their generally go away in a couple weeks and you should feel more like yourself. SSRI's are notorious for sexual side effects so you aren't the only one. (join the club)

but seriously, theres no evidence that antidepressants are better that placebo in randomised double blind placebo controlled trials.

the drug companies just pick and choose the trials that give them the results they want so that they can make millions or billions out of marketing their drug. think about it.

also, if you dont believe me, you can read the shit out of all of the trials on Medline.

Status
Not open for further replies.