• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Carisoprodol and seizures

indelibleface

Bluelight Crew
I need some clarification on this. I wouldn't have even asked this question in Advanced Drug Discussion, except that Ham-milton stated in a previous thread in ADD (at least according to my memory) that carisoprodol is not anticonvulsant, but quite the opposite actually. I would love some clarification for this.

The carisoprodol article on Wikipedia isn't very enlightening, but on the meprobamate article (carisoprodol is a pro-drug for meprobamate), it says that meprobamate is mildly anticonvulsant against absence seizures, but can exacerbate generalized tonic-clonic seizures. This language is a bit vague; does exacerbate mean that it makes seizures that are already caused by something else worse? Or does it mean that it actually lowers the seizure threshold for tonic-clonic seizures?

Specifically, if one were to take tramadol alongside carisoprodol, at doses of tramadol well under the limit for a seizure risk, is this dangerous? My hunch is that no, it won't lower the seizure threshold, but it won't necessarily control any seizures caused by high doses of tramadol either, and that taking the two at reasonable doses is okay. Not entirely sure though.

Again, sorry, not very advanced. :)

But the quandary originated on this sub-forum, so I figured I'd start here.

Carisoprodol does, to my knowledge, lower the seizure threshold. Could be wrong, but I read it somewhere.

This is a random mumbling, but could this be in any way related to the convulsive effects of methylmethaqualone etc at high doses?

Carisoprodol (and its metabolite, meprobamate) do lower the threshold for generalized tonic-clonic seizures. Exacerbate in the sense that they use it means to lower the threshold for these types of seizures.

Carisoprodol is a weird beast, its the best drug I've ever found for sleep.

It`s weird; I`d love to know the mechanism behind this. It`s a GABAnergic that lowers the seizure threshold. Very odd.

I guess I won`t take the two together, just to play it safe.

It`s weird; I`d love to know the mechanism behind this. It`s a GABAnergic that lowers the seizure threshold. Very odd.

I guess I won`t take the two together, just to play it safe.

doesn't methaqualone also lead to seizures? ethaqualone (rc) had something like that about it. correct me if i'm wrong

doesn't methaqualone also lead to seizures? ethaqualone (rc) had something like that about it. correct me if i'm wrong

Yeah, I heard methylmethaqualone can cause seizures; I am unsure whether methaqualone lowers the seizure threshold though at normal doses. Also, I thought overdoses just lead to unconsciousness and possibly respiratory/circulatory arrest (à la barbiturates). Methaqualone and meprobamate seem to be quite the unusual depressants.

I wonder if carisoprodol is anticonvulsant at lower doses due to GABAnergic action and perhaps pro-convulsant at higher doses. Does this pro-convulsant effect override the GABAnergic effects? What's going on here? I am completely in the dark (and probably fundamentally misunderstand the concepts - but hey, at least I'm admitting it instead of jumping to conclusions!).

This is just speculation, so keep in mind I could very well be way off base, but if carisoprodol has GABA(B) affinity and not just GABA(A) affinity, that could perhaps explain the lowering of the seizure threshold. GABA(B) agonists can have a seemingly paradoxical convulsant effect, despite their sedative and anxiolytic actions.

I have no idea if carisoprodol has any actions at GABA(B) receptors though.

From the prescribing information:

There have been postmarketing reports of seizures in patients who received
SOMA. Most of these cases have occurred in the setting of multiple drug overdoses.

Acute toxicity is said to resemble serotonin syndrome, so the mechanism possibly involves serotonin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15732445

Hasn't happend to me but you can find a ton of people who have had Soma Shufffles or soma seizures in which the user will feel shaky instead of relaxed for a 2-3hr period.

I would assume a benzo may lower the seizure threshold? I dunno just throwing it in...

I previously hypothesized that the Soma shuffles were due to muscle relaxant activity (on a micro-level, rapid corrections of misdirected motor activity). The above data suggest otherwise.

ebola

i dont have a serizure disorder on a clean day at baseline.
i get the shakes around a gram of carisoprodol.
conscious petit mals at 3g.
full absent seizures at 4 to g.

this is what happens when your a psychonaut and prescribed a chemical for too long. i dont reccomend abuse. it could def be dangerous. I do not believe it reduces the serizure threshold but can induce severe spasm and convulsion in large doses.