• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Black Beauties (biphetamine)

Lockjaw Hawkins

Greenlighter
Years ago I heard some pills referred to as Black Beauties. I was never a trucker but I have a trucker friend who drove for one of the major trucking cos. for most of his life (retired now). He's telling me he never heard the term BLACK BEAUTIES. Correct me if I'm wrong,,PLEASE. I rem DEXIMILS OBDERIN LA's DESOXYN and DESBUTAL GRADUMETS "and" something referred to as BLACK BEAUTIES. Help settle an argument.

i always heard black beauties were some kind of amp. dont quote me on that tho, just what comes to mind, have no personal experience with em

The originals were Biphetamine - a tablet used for weight loss but they were simply a form of amphetamine.

The name was then used for a lot of differnt uppers and quaaludes.

yeah, biphetamine is exactly what i had always heard. couldnt think of it for shit when i posted lol

This is an old thread but I read an old and dated essay from the early 70s by a writer I like in a collection of his essays and he wrote about taking a lot of Biphetamine 20s with a few friends and how they were driving a car and coming down off of them. The writer just described the high as though you were powerful and how if you took enough it could last for 96 hours. I never took that much Adderall or Dexedrine since I was prescribed it in low doses and I took it as prescribed.

I looked up info about black beauties or biphetamine 20s online and apparently they're racemic just like Adderall is. My friends who took black beauties decades ago who've also taken Adderall said how the speed high from black beauties/biphetamine pills are just like Adderall.

Obetrol was just a brand name. I never took them but a friend of mine did take Obetrol and he said there were other brand names like Eskatrol/Escatrol. He also told me about taking LA 20s in the late 60s and very early 70s, and how they were easily available even if you were in the military.

I know another guy who told me how he was into what were called white crosses and how those would just make him jittery and he'd put a few into coffee and drink it before work.

A lot of people were prescribed amphetamines, even Andy Warhol took them. http://warholstars.org/chron/1963.html#awspeed My dad told me how he never took them but he knew a lot of people who did including some woman he dated. A friend of mine who was once addicted to both benzos and diet pills said she took them when she was younger but has not used any in decades. Also a lot of people just took pills they bought on the street. I know an old head who is 51 who told me how in the late 70s he took too many black beauties and he thought he was ODing but he probably had anxiety or a panic attack since he gets those. Other friends of mine who were around in the late 70s said how back then they would take amphetamine sulfate or just get black beauties/white crosses and take those in a low dose and how it was an amphetamine high.

Then when crystal meth which they said was called crank became popular in the 80s and 90s they got into that but both are now sober.

Last edited:
What got me started. Biphetamine 15 er 's if not mistaken
IIRC it was 50/50 d-amp and l-amp, whereas the racemic mix of adderall makes it 75% dex. But could be had for the price of lunch in a public high school.
Good scene in the movie Another Day in Paradise bout these and desoxyn.
Back in the days there were pills with all 3 types of speed plus a barbituate or ludes to take the edge down

Heard the drug co who made blacks went way outta their way to get them on the street

Last edited:
I loved being high on Black Beauties. I used them around 1974 or so to 1977 or so. I got them from my mom. I don't know how she got them. They were black capsules and they made me feel like coke did, only when I snorted coke, it was only wondrous for short while. Black Beauties would last all day. The first time I rolled on E, I was reminded of the sweet high I felt from Black Beauties.

My dad was a policeman. Eventually he specialized in narcotics. My mom and I specialized in narcotics too. But while he was putting people in jail for drugs, my mom was hell on wheels for drugs. She had perfected doctor shopping so she had lots of doctors and used several different drug stores. Before computers it was not hard to do these things. She had my father convinced she was ill with this or that disorder and since all her drugs came in prescription bottles, he looked the other way.

She didn't know I did coke or whites. She was not scripted Quaaludes so I bought coke or ludes from friends. I also traded her Black Beauties, Valium, Talwin, Meprobamate and a whole host of other drugs that I've long since forgotten. I remember the ones I liked. Black Beauties were/are first in that category.

I had friends that did Reds, a barbiturate that I wasn't into. I also wasn't into PCP. I smoked it one night thinking it was just some weed or some hash. I felt like I was moving backwards the rest of the night and I did not like it one bit.

I still have ties to drugs. I still smoke the ganj when I can. My mom is on Methadone, Norco, Ativan and Ambien, plus other inert drugs that help keep her well but don't fuck her up. She drinks a lot too, which kicks her scripts to another level.

Black beauties were Biphetamine. It was 10mg of dextroamphetamine with 10 of amphetamine on an ion exchange resin for extended release, sometimes called a resinate. I think the ER actually lasted 16 hours. Heard about how you could stay up for days on it. There also used to be Biphetamine-T, a red and black capsule with 40mg of methaqualone too(holy shit8o). White crosses were another popular upper, they were bootlegged meth pills, till someone started making legal knock-offs with caffeine and ephedrine.

Funny thing is Biphetamine and Preludin were withdrawn from the market just before treating ADD became more widespread. Pretty fucking stupid decision. Why couldn't Shire have bought the rights to them instead of Obetrol(originally a meth/amp combo pill, later like Adderall)? They would actually have some advantages over Ritalin and Dexedrine. I think that if they were marketed for AD/HD, as opposed to weight loss drugs(which only increases the weight loss by less than a pound a week compared to diet alone.), they'd still be around.

Oh yes, how well I do remember those powerfully smooth "Black Beauties". They were manufactured from at least as far back as the year 1965, if not earlier than
that, until, the year, 1998.

Strqsenburgh Laborataries , a division of Wallace & Tierman Inc, Rochester, NY 14623, USA, made the pills until either 1971, or 1972.

Pennwalt Corporation, made the "Black Beauties" until at least 1980

I have heard my uncle and various people of his age speak of them. Quaaludes, white crosses, and other such long gone drugs of the day. It is the kind of thing I hope to find in a dusty old bottle somewhere, in an estate sale or abandoned business. Medicine closets of the elderly, etc... I have found many old scripts, but have yet to find a bottle of quaaludes.

Correction: "Strasenburg labs" not Strqenburgh Labs, made the pills originally. Source: Physicians Desk Reference, 1966, printed in 1965, by Medical Economics
Inc, Oradell, New Jersey USA. page 993. 20 mg embossed "RJS" 12.5 mg 1/2 black, 1/2 white, and 7.5 mg all white capsules. The contents of the most popular,
were the 20 mg very high shine all black capsule, of 10 mg of amphetamine, and 10 mg of dextroamphetamine. It was advertised, with its unique "Strasionic"
formulations, with the active components of drug resonates. The Black Beauties all contained cation exchange resin complexes of sulfonated polystyrene of
10 mg of amphetamine, and 10 mg of dextroamphetamine.

Also, "Biphetamine T" was available in a 1/2 red 1/2 black capsule, also containing 40 mg of pure Methaqualone, as did the 12.5 capsules. They were made from
1965, until July 1, of 1973, (Biphetamine-T)

From 1980, until 1998, Fisons Inc made the Black Beauties, until the year 1998. The last 3 years it was made it was on the USA orphan drug list, thus, has to
be special ordered. Fisons, like, Pennwalt, was also, headquartered in Rochester,

Biphetamines. My grandma worked in the factory that made them for quite a few years when they were being produced at Strasenburgh Labs in Rochester.

Adderall is around which is basically like black beauties, but now a 50/50 mix of amphetamines is being prescribed under the name evekeo.

Older people have told me about amphetamine pills from the 70s that looked like little aspirin tablets and red and white speckled, and take those and how it was an amphetamine high but that it was in a very high dose and lasted for about two or three days depending upon how many you took. These people also told me how the pharmaceutical amphetamines they would take were a lot smoother than any of the meth they have ever used even ice/crystal meth that they would snort or smoke/vaporize.

Older people have told me about amphetamine pills from the 70s that looked like little aspirin tablets and red and white speckled, and take those and how it was an amphetamine high but that it was in a very high dose and lasted for about two or three days depending upon how many you took.

Benzphetamine ("Didrex") maybe? Your description seems to fit the pics I found on Google. Came in 50 mg pills and apparently acted as a prodrug for methamphetamine, similar to how Vyvanse is a prodrug for D-amphetamine.

These people also told me how the pharmaceutical amphetamines they would take were a lot smoother than any of the meth they have ever used even ice/crystal meth that they would snort or smoke/vaporize.

Define "smoother". Back in the day Dexedrine "spansules" (i.e. extended release gelcaps) were pretty popular. Dexedrine was pure D-amphetamine, so there would be less peripheral side effects than with a racemic product... and an extended-release product obviously have a less brutal crash than something you smoked to absorb it as quickly as possible for a maximum rush. That what you mean?

Benzphetamine ("Didrex") maybe? Your description seems to fit the pics I found on Google. Came in 50 mg pills and apparently acted as a prodrug for methamphetamine, similar to how Vyvanse is a prodrug for D-amphetamine.

Define "smoother". Back in the day Dexedrine "spansules" (i.e. extended release gelcaps) were pretty popular. Dexedrine was pure D-amphetamine, so there would be less peripheral side effects than with a racemic product... and an extended-release product obviously have a less brutal crash than something you smoked to absorb it as quickly as possible for a maximum rush. That what you mean?

I will have to ask the older people I know who took pharmaceutical amphetamines in the late 60s, and early 70s what they meant by smoother.

The one person said the pills he took while in the U.S. military while stationed in a Central American country were easily available for anyone who wanted them from a pharacist and that they had 250-300mg in them in just one pill, and that he would take two and stay awake for three days on them, and that a lot of people took them, smoked cheap herb, and they also ate Psilocybin mushrooms that the native people would sell or give away.

Another person who I know who took them decades ago said they were easily available in her country in the 60s and 70s either over the counter or via prescription as diet pills, and that she would take them, eat very little, and the time would fly by. She also would take a downer like a sleeping pill, or Valium to come down and sleep at night.

Last edited:
This is a great thread and all, but I imagine it would do better in DC

Yep, I used to know this old tweaker, and he would tell me stories about doing black beauties. He used to be a trucker and talked about how he would drive for hours to pick up, then pop some and be totally wired the whole drive back. Nowadays he shoots dope, at least he did when I knew him. Nice enough guy though.

My mom also told me about white cross pills, and I haven't gotten a solid confirmation on what was in those exactly. I've read that it was ephedrine, but I've also read that it was methamphetamine. Some sort of speed, anyone know what they are precisely?

Remember these fondly from college days. Adderrall can't even come close. Would luv to run across some in my travels.