• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Black Beauties (biphetamine)

Yep, I used to know this old tweaker, and he would tell me stories about doing black beauties. He used to be a trucker and talked about how he would drive for hours to pick up, then pop some and be totally wired the whole drive back. Nowadays he shoots dope, at least he did when I knew him. Nice enough guy though.

My mom also told me about white cross pills, and I haven't gotten a solid confirmation on what was in those exactly. I've read that it was ephedrine, but I've also read that it was methamphetamine. Some sort of speed, anyone know what they are precisely?

My parents have mentioned the "white cross" stimulant pills to me before, too. I always just assumed that they were some formulation of d-amphetamine for weight loss, but was never sure

IIRC,BB's or Biphetamine caps were half d-amp and half meth(hence the "Bi").We'd open them up and they'd have these tannish "beads" easily crushed for snorting.Noice,long up and along with triple grain Tuinal caps(blue half for amobarb,red half for secobarb) of 180mg EACH made for a great night out.Up and down at the same time.Then Quaaludes became popular,the originals being the Rorer 714's which had 300mg. methaqualone and the Parest 400's made by Parke-Davis.The beginning of the end was when Fla. became the first state to ban Ludes around 1977-8 and the rest of America soon followed suit.Mexico then started flooding the states with bootleg Ludes that were full of Valium,booo. That was the Golden Age of recreational drugs (including LSD everywhere) with a VERY small heroin problem.Thank You Uncle Sam for your infinite wisdom in making things soooo much better/safer.

At least weed is better today than it was back then, though.

Biphetamine didn't have methamphetamine in it. It had a dextroamphetamine and amphetamine resin complex.

Biphetamine forms, composition and
dosages:
Capsule, Extended Release; Oral; Amphetamine Resin Complex 3.75 mg; Dextroamphetamine Resin Complex 3.75 mg
Capsule, Extended Release; Oral; Amphetamine Resin Complex 6.25 mg; Dextroamphetamine Resin Complex 6.25 mg
Capsule, Extended Release; Oral; Amphetamine Resin Complex 10 mg; Dextroamphetamine Resin Complex 10 mg

Is that from a PDR,Online ? I know I got the rest right.

IMHO, the most notorious, and, famous form of diet pills, often called, "speed" on the street,
was the Strasenburg Bi-phetamine (Black Beauty 20mg, from 1965, all the way until, the end,
in 1998. A very close 2nd with the original RJS embossed all capsules, was the Biphetamine
T-20, meaning, in addition, to containing all of the ingredients, of the Biphetamine 20,it also
had instant release Methaqualone. Termed on the street, Red and Blacks due to their capsule make
up of 1/2 red, and 1/2 black. US DEA banned these on July 1, 1973.

I have had access to 8 year old stock mfg date 1968 expiration date 1970, that, I got from the relative of a
estate sale of a closed down family pharmacy in the year 1976, all, in professional samples, like a large match
book,with references to the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City Mexico (1968) that were very, very potent, that lasted
me a good 6 months, "5 years after the official expirations date" of both Biphetamine 20 embossed RJS, all black,
and the "Biphetamine T-20 1/2 red and 1/2 black containing 20 mg of amphetamine and d-amphetamine resins, plus
40 mg of Methaqualone. Strasenburg, were forced to shut down production of the combo methaqualone with stimulants,
on July 1, 1973. Biphetamine remained in production until around the mid 1980's (1986 to 1998) as a orphan drug, due
IMHO to slow sales and the notorious stigma that pill received in the USA in the 1960's and 1970's, as a "diet pill" on
especially University USA campuses, and with Long Distance Truck Drivers, in the USA. Biphetamine never received the
sales attention, ADD and ADHD drugs, like Obetrol, changed to Adderall, Dexedrine, and Ritalin, during the boom years of
the 1990's when ADD and ADHD received high positive attention as a valid medication for appropriate DX of Narcolepsy, and
ADD inattentive and ADHD DX's. I currently have Smith Kline Beecham Dexedrine Spansules that narly 15 years old from the
date they were dispensed in tight prescription bottles made out to me that are I'd say at least 70 to 75% as potent as they were
when prescribed to me by my Psychiatrist, in the years 2002 thru 2006. "Dexedrine Spansules 15mg by Glaxo Smith Kline, now,
no longer produced by GSK since Dec 2010.

The USA Drug Enforcement Administration passed a law, that banned the production of any
stimulants, with a sedative, with the single exception, of Smith Kline and French version, of
Dexamyl, containing 15 mg of dextroamphatamine Extended Release, with the intermediate
barbiturate, sodium Amytal, which was manufactured until the year 1982.

for the true hard core lovers of the ultimate rush, bordering a slow sexual climax, no question
the pills manufactured by Abbott Labs, called Desbutal 5mg, capsules, Desbutal Gradumet,
and Desbutal Gradumet 15mg of pure methamphetamine, were to king of the hill from 1965
until July of 1973. WHY? the 5mg instant release green capsule contained methamphetamine
+ sodium pentobarbital (NEMBUTAL) the 10 mg multicolored tablet, contained also, the
instant release sodium pentobarbital, 60 mg of "Nembutal" (yellow jackets) and the top sought
after pill,was the 15 mg Abbott Desbutal Gradumet, for Extended Release Methamphetamine,
with 90 mg of instant release Sodium Pentobarbital, for a guaranteed rush from onset.

I have done the majority of all diet pills since the year 1969, and, the Abbott Desbutal was
the smoothest, stimulant, with a very euphoric rush, from the get-go, that no other pill could
touch. Pennwalt took over Biphetamine, and later, Fisons, took it over, until production
ended in 1998. I got officially a diagnosis of ADD inattentive type, but, my liberal Psychiatrist,
just would not prescribe me the Biphetamine 20mg, from 1994 until they were removed from
the market, due to lack of sales. Why? the 1960's stigma, frightened, the new age M.D's who
would prescribe Ritalin, Adderall (a re-named identical pill from Rexal Pharma and Obetral Inc
of Brooklyn NY, and of course the Dexedrine Spansules, out since the year 1952, and, if you
were really lucky in the mid 1990's, you could get the famous Dexedrine 5 mg embossed
E-19 Dextroamphetamine instant release pink/orange hearts, by SKF, introduced in 1937, and
made until 2009.

By 1990, when adults, and children were finally accepted, to take stimulants for ADHD,
ADD, and Narcolepsy, Abbott like, Fisons who made Biphetamine, were hurt by the stigma
of the 1960's and 1970's speed culture, and, most Psychiatrists, would not prescribe, the
extended release 5mg, 10mg and 15 mg Desoxyn methamphetamine, until, it was removed
also, from the marketplace, due to slow sales, in a robust market of many Psychiatrists,
liberally prescribing Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, and Dexedrine Spansules. Abbott sold the
licensing rights to Ovation Pharma, in 1999, and, Ovation only makes the 5 mg Instant Release
methamphetamine, at a price 500% higher than Abbott charged, and in the grand scheme of
things, is not prescribed, very frequently, again, from the huge speed stigma, that still, held
a black cloud, over the industry, incredibly over 25 to 30 years later!!!!! Just my 2 cents worth

Finally, the removal of Nembutal sedative capsules, Tuinal sedative barbiturate capsules, and,
especially, all versions in the USA of Methaqualone, by 4 manufacturers, to one sole
manufacturer in 1983, and, by William H Rorer removing the close cousin Doriden, from the
pharmaceutical world in 1992, ended, the opportunity, for the educated consumer, to, get
two prescriptions, to combine, to re-create, what the manufacturers once did legally, for 8
1/2 years. "Nembutal" "Quaalude" "Parest" "Sopar" "Tuinal" "Sodium Amytal" "Doridan"
"Tuiquilone" mfg in Swizerland until 2006. (Methaqualone identical to Rousell Mandrax",
and "pallidan" made in Spain from 1965 until 2000 (Methaqualone). "Tardyl" made in
Hungary by Egis until 2006, and, "Dormidide" made by Terapia of Romanis (Glutethidmide)
or USA Doriden, until 2006.

IMHO, the most notorious, and, famous form of diet pills, often called, "speed" on the street,
was the Strasenburg Bi-phetamine (Black Beauty 20mg, from 1965, all the way until, the end,
in 1998. A very close 2nd with the original RJS embossed all capsules, was the Biphetamine
T-20, meaning, in addition, to containing all of the ingredients, of the Biphetamine 20,it also
had instant release Methaqualone. Termed on the street, Red and Blacks due to their capsule make
up of 1/2 red, and 1/2 black. US DEA banned these on July 1, 1973.

I have had access to 8 year old stock mfg date 1968 expiration date 1970, that, I got from the relative of a
estate sale of a closed down family pharmacy in the year 1976, all, in professional samples, like a large match
book,with references to the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City Mexico (1968) that were very, very potent, that lasted
me a good 6 months, "5 years after the official expirations date" of both Biphetamine 20 embossed RJS, all black,
and the "Biphetamine T-20 1/2 red and 1/2 black containing 20 mg of amphetamine and d-amphetamine resins, plus
40 mg of Methaqualone. Strasenburg, were forced to shut down production of the combo methaqualone with stimulants,
on July 1, 1973. Biphetamine remained in production until around the mid 1980's (1986 to 1998) as a orphan drug, due
IMHO to slow sales and the notorious stigma that pill received in the USA in the 1960's and 1970's, as a "diet pill" on
especially University USA campuses, and with Long Distance Truck Drivers, in the USA. Biphetamine never received the
sales attention, ADD and ADHD drugs, like Obetrol, changed to Adderall, Dexedrine, and Ritalin, during the boom years of
the 1990's when ADD and ADHD received high positive attention as a valid medication for appropriate DX of Narcolepsy, and
ADD inattentive and ADHD DX's. I currently have Smith Kline Beecham Dexedrine Spansules that narly 15 years old from the
date they were dispensed in tight prescription bottles made out to me that are I'd say at least 70 to 75% as potent as they were
when prescribed to me by my Psychiatrist, in the years 2002 thru 2006. "Dexedrine Spansules 15mg by Glaxo Smith Kline, now,
no longer produced by GSK since Dec 2010.

The USA Drug Enforcement Administration passed a law, that banned the production of any
stimulants, with a sedative, with the single exception, of Smith Kline and French version, of
Dexamyl, containing 15 mg of dextroamphatamine Extended Release, with the intermediate
barbiturate, sodium Amytal, which was manufactured until the year 1982.

for the true hard core lovers of the ultimate rush, bordering a slow sexual climax, no question
the pills manufactured by Abbott Labs, called Desbutal 5mg, capsules, Desbutal Gradumet,
and Desbutal Gradumet 15mg of pure methamphetamine, were to king of the hill from 1965
until July of 1973. WHY? the 5mg instant release green capsule contained methamphetamine
+ sodium pentobarbital (NEMBUTAL) the 10 mg multicolored tablet, contained also, the
instant release sodium pentobarbital, 60 mg of "Nembutal" (yellow jackets) and the top sought
after pill,was the 15 mg Abbott Desbutal Gradumet, for Extended Release Methamphetamine,
with 90 mg of instant release Sodium Pentobarbital, for a guaranteed rush from onset.............

Is that from a PDR,Online ? I know I got the rest right.
@MMT

Sources: Physicians Desk Reference 20th edition (year 1966) page 991,992 publisher Medical Economics
Physicians Desk Reference 22nd edition (year 1968) pages 1131, 1132 + picture section Page XXIV
"" " "" 25th (year 1971) pages 1346, +picture section Page 29 *
"" " "" 27th (year 1973) *Note Pennwalt absorbed Strasenburg and eliminated the "RJS"
embossment during the last quarter of 1970. Replaced with a small Pennwalt
triangle (sideways) and 5 digit ID codes for all products; example the Black
Beauty was embossed with a 18-875 Biphetamine 20mg and the Biphetamine-T
offered in 12.5mg 1/2 gray and 1/2 black no embossment, and the strongest
Biphetamine-T 20mg also contained each "Tuazole" a patented trademark for
Methaqualone, which each Biphetamine-T had 40mg contained in each capsule.

REDBOOK Pharmacy's Fundamental Reference published by PDR Inc Montvale New Jersey 70th edition for the year 1970

MARTINDALE THE EXTRA PHARMACOPOEIA 30th edition (1993) published by Pharmaceutical Press on the authority of the
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, covering ethical pharmaceuticals in 14 countries of the modern Industrialized
world.

Dun & Bradstreet Business Information Report, October 1978, by Dun & Bradstreet Inc 299 Park Ave NY NY 10017

Biphetamine (Mfg by Division of Wallace & Tiernan Inc) Rochester NY 14623 Sources,

@sean107 your information you reported was "spot on" Thank you. I was a D&B Credit Services Rep calling on numerous
Pharmaceutical manufacturing firms during the 1970's with access to the D&B Million Dollar Directory and the USA Blue Reference
Books, for sale to comtrollers of major corporations in the NE, including many pharma plants no longer in business, in the here
and now, or merged, or bought out by larger pharma companies. I have also Business Information Reports on such former firms
as William H Rorer and Lemmon Pharmaceuticals, (Ft Washington Pa USA) (Sellersville PA USA) who manufactured Methaqualone
"Quaaludes" in the 1970's........................................D&B 99 Church St, NY NY USA D&B 299 Park Ave NY NY 10017 USA

More Sources: 4th Annual National Adult ADD Conference taped audio speech by keynote speaker,
Paul Elliott M.D. (State of Texas) held in March of 1998 in Washington DC

Last edited:
Tardyl was a combination of Glutethimide (Doriden), Amobarbital, and Promethazine that was available in Hungary and Romania. It's no longer manufactured. Doriden (Glutethimide) with Codeine was huge in the NJ-NYC area , known on the street as "Hits" taken together was the most euphoric and blissful long lasting high ever. Sadly Doriden was discontinued in '93. Nothing can compare to the Doriden and Codeine high.

^Ya they were big up in the Boston area too.But we called them packs and yes they were great.

"Biphetamine" (and Obetrol especially)

Black beauties were Biphetamine. It was 10mg of dextroamphetamine with 10 of amphetamine on an ion exchange resin for extended release, sometimes called a resinate. I think the ER actually lasted 16 hours. Heard about how you could stay up for days on it. There also used to be Biphetamine-T, a red and black capsule with 40mg of methaqualone too(holy shit8o). White crosses were another popular upper, they were bootlegged meth pills, till someone started making legal knock-offs with caffeine and ephedrine.

Funny thing is Biphetamine and Preludin were withdrawn from the market just before treating ADD became more widespread. Pretty fucking stupid decision. Why couldn't Shire have bought the rights to them instead of Obetrol(originally a meth/amp combo pill, later like Adderall)? They would actually have some advantages over Ritalin and Dexedrine. I think that if they were marketed for AD/HD, as opposed to weight loss drugs(which only increases the weight loss by less than a pound a week compared to diet alone.), they'd still be around.

Hello @THC2LSD

I know this is a very old, thread, you are spot on, with your post, but I have documentation, from USA PDR's, from 1966, 1968,
and 1978, with the original formula, and the "formula change" to Obetrol tablets.

Last edited:
quote 1966 PDR page 22nd edition, page 888

Obetrol tablets composition: blue rounded pills embossed, OP.

Methamphetamine saccharate 2.5 mg
Methamphetamine hydrochloride 2.5 mg
Amphetamine sulfate 2.5 mg
Dextroamphetamine sulfate 2.5 mg

The Obetrol 20 tablets, contain twice this potency unquote

Mfg Obetrol Pharmaceuticals Brooklyn, NY 11207

@ THC2LSD reply #9 on 9 June 2012

By calendar year 1978, of, 27th edition of PDR (USA) the formula changed from my post #34 that was consistent, thru 1973.

quote from PDR of 1978 by mfg Obetrol Pharmaceuticals. "Obetrol 10 mg" until 1994/1995.

Dextroamphetamine Saccharate 2.5 mg
Amphetamine Asparate 2.5 mg
Dextroamphetamine Sulfate 2.5 mg
Amphetamine Sulfate 2.5 mg unquote

Obetrol 20 mg. tablets contain twice this potency

Last edited:
Reference post #9 started by THC2LSD June 09 2012:

Source: quote "PDR Generics" calendar year 1995, 1st edition,
publisher, Medical Economics, Montvale NJ USA page
158, 159, 160.

This was the last year, from audited data, in 1994, for "Obetrol" to be marketed in USA.
NDC #00477-5432-01 and 05 and 10 for bottles of 100 ct 500 ct 1,000 ct 10mg and for
NDC # 00477-5433-01 also in 20 mg per tablet bottles sent to pharmacies in USA.

"Adderall" was the marketing name, who, purchased the license, to manufacture, and change
the name, from Obetrol 10 mg and 20 mg, to "Adderall" NDC # 5821-0032-01 for C-II 10 mg
and, NDC # 58521-0033-01, for the 20 mg tablets. Mfg, was Richwood Pharmaceutical Co, Inc
of Florence, Kentucky 41042 USA.

In the 2007 USA PDR, this was the last time, that branded Adderall, now expanded to seven (7)
different potency versions, ranging from 5mg to 30 mg, was manufactured now by Shire US, Inc
of Wayne, PA. 19087 (as always, a USA C-II controlled substance, under brand name) More changes
were to later follow, but, in the interest to avoid a "wall of text" I will conclude my pontificating.
Source, page 3164, 3165, 3166. Also, in 2007 PDR, the branded Adderall XR capsules are listed
in six different capsule strengths, by name brand. Not sure when Adderall XR made its debut .(originally).

Last edited:
@THC2LSD ref post #9 June 09 2012

Yes, "Preludin" mfg, was, Geigy, per Physicians Desk Reference, Product ID page 13 of 27th edition, for the
calendar year 1973, shows, Preludin 25 mg peach color, embossed Geigy 42, also, 50 mg. now a round pill, white
embossed Geigy 79, and finally, 75 mg of a round tablet, also pink, or salmon colored, embossed Geigy 62.

It was around for a long time, it was discontinued, not sure of the last year of manufacture. It is listed as far
back as the year 1965 in the data collection for the 1966 PDR for the USA.

Preludin and the Abbott Labs of North Chicago, Ill USA Desoxyn 5 mg was too strong for me. I could tell no
significant difference, in the very powerful medications for my lifelong ADD inattentive type.

I may have noted before, that Abbott Labs, who also made patented "Desbutal" Gradumet, in 5 mg, 10mg
and 15 mg, all were the smoothest stimulants I have ever taken in my life covering 40 years of use by
a AMA board certified USA Psychiatrist.....my favorite was the 15 mg of Desbutal containing methamphetamine
and 90 mg of Nembutal, (Pentobarbital sodium) not to be confused with Phenobarbital. My prescription could
no longer be filled in July of 1973, when the DEA of USA banned combination pills of stimulants with a sedative,
with the exception of SKF mfg of "Dexamyl" manufactured until the year 1981, or 1982.

Dexamyl contained, 5 mg, lime green tabs in a triangular shape and 10mg and 15mg of the Dexamyl Spansule
of dextroamphetamine with, the 15 mg ER spansule containing 15 mg of dextroamphetamine with 97 mg of
amobarbital. All of my medications were always monitored by a USA AMA board certifed shrink,
a USA Psychiatrist, including, now, 40 years later, by a Addictionologist for A.D.D inattentive type.

I take meds in order to have a quality of life, not for recreational purposes.

To answer the question by THC2LSD IMHO, even myself, I could not get my M.D's to prescribe me
Biphetamine during any of the 1970's, the 1980's, and the 1990's IMHO because of the harsh
USA stigma, that was associated with Black Beauties. Yes, I have taken Pharma samples, and,
yes, I liked them, but, I could never get my otherwise very accommodating M.D.'s anywhere in the
USA to prescribe me Biphetamine in any potency. The sales dropped IMHO due to the stigma, and
allegedly poor management by Fisons, who were the last USA mfg to legally make Biphetamine, in
the year 1998. (formerly Penwalt, to Strasenburg).

Last edited:
Fantastic posts. Very well researched and it's about time somebody posts real factual information. Having tried most of the items myself and lived through the same time, I agree with basically everything you have posted.

Thanks for remembering Biphetamine-T! It is exactly what I was trying to remember. Thanks to the wonderful search engine here at Bluelight I was able to locate what I was looking for in a few minutes. The FDA certainly screwed up the wonderful combination drugs that were being produced. When they decided that combination drugs were unsafe in the fixed dose that many were made. So their solution to the problem was to have most combination drugs discontinued. And as most of us older users know, if there was a psychoactive drug available, the drug would usually get moved to schedule II and eventually discontinued while being simultaneously moved to schedule I.

Thanks for remembering Biphetamine-T! It is exactly what I was trying to remember. Thanks to the wonderful search engine here at Bluelight I was able to locate what I was looking for in a few minutes. The FDA certainly screwed up the wonderful combination drugs that were being produced. When they decided that combination drugs were unsafe in the fixed dose that many were made. So their solution to the problem was to have most combination drugs discontinued. And as most of us older users know, if there was a psychoactive drug available, the drug would usually get moved to schedule II and eventually discontinued while being simultaneously moved to schedule I.