• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Golf Golf Thread

ChickenScratch

Bluelighter
i would imagine that i'll probably be talking to myself in here considering the magnitude of dweebs and losers on this board, but i'm going to give it a shot.

farmers was a solid tourney....i love bubba watson and i know his dad just died, but seriously dude, please stop crying after every tourney you win.

he's won 2 and cried twice.

phil mickletitties touches children.

pumped for the phoenix open this weekend. i use to dominate that event when i lived in scottsdale. and by dominate, i mean get completely hammered.

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to see this thread really taking off.

pander, me and my buddies go hack it up at candler park a lot during the summer. it cost $7 to walk 9 and you can pretty much take a cooler of beer and play with your shirt off if you want.

hipster golf ftw.

seven dollars!

/monocle falls into my champagne glass full of four loko

PGA Tour is by far my favorite sport overall...as far as every other sport goes, I only give a shit unless it's my favorite team....I even play fantasy golf at Yahoo:)

I'll take any Sunday of a major over the Super Bowl and Final Four combined! Eight hours of TV greatness!

Farmer's was a pretty awesome tournament most dramatic of the short season so far, too bad that cry baby jesus freak Bubba Watson won, it's the whining he does on the course that pisses me off.

I like Tiger for the sole reason he's someone to root against, Tiger fans weird me out. He's great for the game and I don't give a shit about his off the course antics, it's just hard to root for somebody who is that good.

My favorite golfer is Steve motherfucking Elkington, awesome story teller and a steady vet with a sweet swing.

Nice to see at least one other PGA fan out there:D

Excited for the Phoenix Open this weekend, was upset play was suspended today due to the cold...wish Golf channel would have extended it's TV coverage cause of it.

allsum...dead head and golfer.

me and you are gonna be buddies.

nothing beats sundays, on a couch, drifting in and out of conciousness watching final round play.

while i'm a huge football fan, my favorite sporting event is by far the masters.

i hope david toms gets a couple of wins this year. i really like that guy.

contact-hero.jpg

This is my local public course. There are plenty of others around my city that are better but it is 2minutes from the CBD and less than $20 for 18. (Although the back nine is rubbish since they built a bus way through it 5 years ago and there are 3-4 par 3's in a row).

They only allow beers on the course but you can drink spirits on the driving range and they have a Beer wench who drives a buggy around the course on the weekends and sells cold brews at reasonable prices. I generally prefer a spliff when I play but I need 2-3 holes to find my rhythm again before my game returns.

edit: I can really only get into the Majors on the tele.

Phoenix Open is pissing me off - mostly due to the Monday finish, pus Elk missed the cut and that faggot Rickie Fowler scored a day two low of -9 today. I'm pulling for Ben Crane.

I've been playing golf since I was 13 years old, played competitively in high school, but am only a modest 15-23 handicap. I'll never spend money to improve my game, i.e take lessons or buy expensive equipment.

yea, i've been playing my whole life but don't really keep a handicap. when i lived in AZ i worked on a course and played 3 or 4 times a week and was consistantly in the low to mid 80's. now, i play probably 9 or 10 times a year and typically shoot mid 90s.

the phoneix open did lose it's luster due to the monday finish.

i liked billy mayfair's tribute to pat tillman, pretty classy. america, FUCK YEA!

7 bucks is amazing, my local charges $1650 for a years membership.

Just bought a new set of Calloway clubs, cant wait to try em out next month.

7 bucks is amazing,

there is a reason it's $7. here is a review i found online. pretty much sums it up.

Here's what I love about Candler Park Golf Course as it is today (and was just a short time ago):

1) It is perfect for idiots like me who generally hate golf on principle...because of the scene, not because of the game.

2) It allows me to use my 30 year-old clubs and carry around my pleather golf bag with pride.

3) The golf pro has gang tats on his neck.

4) Graffiti on one of the maintenance sheds.

5) Georgia rock stars play here, from Kevin Kinney, to Drive-by Truckers, to Michael Stipe of REM.

6) On hole 2, there is a gully on the right side of the fairway that is easy to slice into. Years ago there was an old nasty gazebo there, where a homeless guy would steal your ball...and then sell it back to you on the 3rd tee.

7) Everyone is laid back here. No stress. No one cares how much you suck at golf. No golf shoes? Cool. Natty Dreads? No problem, mon.

8) Fewer white people. When lots of white people congregate around golf and start talking, there is potential for darkness and evil. Lord of the Rings evil.

9) Unlimited play for $7 (for the time being...that's about to change).

11) The groundskeeper is a variation on Bill Murray in "Caddyshack". He has caps on his teeth, a thinning mullet, and may be seen wearing an Allman Brothers tee shirt and camo pants. He takes excellent care of the course with the resources he's got...and he can whack the shit out of the ball.

12) Hot moms running on Terrace Ave by #5.

Nice to see a golf thread here!! I haven't watched much this year, but I did catch young Haas playing well this weekend.

I get out only a handful of times every year now. I almost always play a round on vacation. Last year it was Hilton Head Island, but not Harbor Town. They wanted full price only a week or so after punching the greens.

I can't say I have a favorite player. I like the steady play of Martin Kaymer and I picked him in all 4 major pools last year. It payed off in the end.

How about courses? Anyone play any great courses? Here are mine:

The Ocean Course - Kiawah Island
Harbor Town (pre 2000 renovation)
Bel-Air CC
Aronimink (AT&T National, could be future US Open course?)
Merion (West Course)

I usually shoot around 85-90 on a course rated 70.0.

And how about your guys sticks? What's in your bag? me:
-2008 TM Burner tour 9.5* regular flex
-2008 TM Burner tour 3-hybrid
-New Nike full cavity 4-pw OR my old Cleveland TA3 irons from 1996. I still haven't decided on which for this season.
-Tommy Armour 56*
-Cleveland 60*
-Slazenger LSP1 putter (fairly old school)

And I'll play any ball to save money, but when I am trying to play serious, and of the good ones will do, Pro V, Callaway Black, the best Bridgestone or Srixon.

Also unless it is Flyers or Eagles playoffs, I'm with the person above who likes to watch a Sunday major. Doesn't the Masters just get you pumped? First week of April and you're jonesin' to get out on the course.

Also you gotta love the Sunday pin placement #16 at Augusta. I WILL play that course some day. Mark my word.

Oh and TLM, I was thinking about moving to the Bay Area. Part of my planning was to be near a golf course. So I was looking at Walnut Creek so I could play Boundary Hills. I also applied to a position at a Country Club in San Ramon, but never heard back from them.

I'll definitely be back here to talk more golf soon. Sorry for the ramblings.

right now i'm swinging some old school mcgregor forged irons.

i also have a set of DCI's.

i have snake eye fairway woods and a tyalor made burner driver.

also have cleveland wedges that i've had for years. love them.

i've been lucky with clubs, my old man is a hard core golfer and he's always up on the latest shit so he passes me down stuff when he's sick of it.

nice courses include:

ocean course - kiawah
east lake - atlanta
forest highlands - flagstaff, az (2 courses, these are the ones i worked on in college...the canyon course was the #1 course in AZ when i was there)
biltmore forest - asheville, nc (still play this one a couple times a year)

i've played a bunch of other nice courses but these are probably the most famous.

I've got a set of Lynx that are at least 15 years old. I need long clubs pretty bad, regular ones are just too short. My driver is a Calloway and my 5 wood is a Taylor Made, both around 8 years old, don't even know the model off the top of my head...equipment just isn't important to me.

I usually always play some sort of Titlist(mainly cause my father has hundreds of used ones stashed in his garage) and do bring out the Pro Vs on a nice day at a nice course, only ball that allows me to pick up some spin.

I've only played one country club, and there's not too many nice public courses outside Scranton, PA.