• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Golf Golf Thread

Can't rule Rory out after his dominating performance at the US.

I like to give Phil a chance with his creativity and K.J. Choi because of his sniper accuracy at times.

mickletitties won't even make the cut.

other names to throw out there:

lee westwood
matt kuchar
charl schwartzel
bubba watson
brandt snedeker (just cuz i like him)
luke donald

so i played two rounds at biltmore forest CC in asheville over the weekend.

that place is so awesome.

hadn't played since last august. shot a 93 on saturday and a 95 on sunday. i was happy with it. i've got the itch again. i'm gonna play again this sunday.

also scored weekend passes for the PGA Championship in august. pretty pumped for that. i've never been to a major.

good stuff man, congratulations.

i played the nakoma dragon twice last sunday:

dragon10fwy.jpg

one of the harder courses i have played and a spectacular location - the clubhouse was designed by frank lloyd wright:

3444152310_07f9007701.jpg

my game was miserable - i shot a 112 in the morning and then a 114 in the afternoon. it's depressing to play so poorly on such a great course.

i played again today on a course closer to home: silver oak.

shot a 90 with only 1 penalty shot the whole round and 34 putts. felt good.

alasdair

golf is such a fucked up sport like that.

it's amazing how simple the game feels when you string a few pars together.

then.....the melt down hits, and your score goes to shit.

guess that's what keeps us coming back.

the round i shot that 93 on, i had three 8's on the scorecard. then, the next day i shot a 95 and didn't make one putt outside of 3 feet. if i can just pull all of those mistakes out, i'll be back in the 80's.

i need to take a lesson, i'm opening my club face and losing distance and i don't know how to correct it. it's all in my head.

Strengthen your grip way harder than you think to keep the club face from opening on impact. Or, during setup, close the toe more than you think. Another possibility is to wear a glove on both hands to keep the club from rotating on impact.

Hope it helps

Edit:

Or, all of the above.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice.

unfortunatley, i've tried everything and it's a total mind fuck. like, i have to open the face to make good contact.

it's strange. i wasn't in this habit years ago and was smoking the ball straight as an arrow. then, i took a year off from golf and came back with this horrible habit like 5 years ago. ugh.

we have a pga superstore here and they'll give you lessons and video tape your swing to help you correct it. i'm gonna look into that.

I think the PGA superstore might have ulterior motives when trying to give you lessons. I have found that a club pro is usually a more comfortable experience. (Edit) More comfortable than a super polished retail big money experience if that makes sense...

2nd Edit:
I have a first cousin who majored in Professional Golf Management, and has a +2 Handicap, who taught me that sometimes in a swing funk, only do about half of a backstroke with about 50-75% acceleration. You will be amazed how far and straight it goes when you feel like your almost taking a practice swing.

3rd Edit:

Another option is to swing only clubs you are comfortable with. For example, say you are 230 yards out lying 1 on a Par 5. The club is a 3 wood/5 wood/1 iron, whatever. But, you know that you almost always hit your 6 iron well. Then hit the 6 iron and leave yourself an easy pitch onto the green until you get your confidence back.

Last edited:
so I watched ladies golf in scotland on the teevee today, and they were really spectacularly bad. Not just driving either, putting most of all. What gives. Would I absolutely tear it up in the LPGA if I go get clipped?

Would I absolutely tear it up in the LPGA if I go get clipped?

the only thing you would tear up would be the stitches where your balls use to be.

shot an 87 yesterday. 6 pars, 1 chip in birdie, no triple bogies. felt good.

it was swealtering hot....drank 5 beers on the course, after my round i pounded 3 fish tacos and 2 glasses of sangria.

came home and passed out on the couch, thus why i never called you back, pander.

i could have sworn it was because you're getting older and can't party anymore.

I need to get and play more. I have rich friends and thus have access to many of the area country clubs, with only having to pay for a cart if I want one.

ChickenScratch, you were talking about your issues, and I remembered my issue this last Friday when I played. I shot an 89 on a fairly difficult course. I hit a lot of good shots. And, once again my short game, or lack there of, was my relative downfall.
I literally can not hit a good driver. I can get on the range, and maybe 1 out of 10 is a good drive. I can smoke my 3 wood long and straight almost every time. But, the fuckin driver eludes me. I have tinkered for years. Everything from a 7 degree to an 11 degree, had drivers custom made, large head small head, hitting buckets at the range of only drivers, and I just can't do it. But, I can consistently hit my 3 wood about 260 and therefore usually out drive most of the duffers I play with (except this one guy, who is a freak, and probably averages 290 off the tee). I just wish I could hit a decent driver so I could have a lower shot and longer roll. Oh well...

i hear ya man. but shit, if you hit your 3 wood 260 down the middle, i'd say just run with it.

my buddy and i were talking about our issues yesterday, and came to the conclusion that we might as well just alter our game to deal with them and play with them as best as we know how.

obviously, if i had time and money to spend more time practicing i'd prefer to correct my issues. but for now, i just aim a little left off the tee and deal with my slice. but yesterday i only sliced the ball like once. it was more of just a fade than anything.

my biggest problem is that i hit these towering high drives that get absolutely ZERO bounce and/or roll. i kid you not, i'm driving the ball like 220 yards on a good day. that can make for a pretty difficult long par 4.

but, i just played with my faults and over compensated when i needed to and put together a good round for where my game is right now. my irons were good and so was my short game. while my drives aren't getting any distance, i only hit one ball out of bounds all day.

i fucking love this game so much. i can't wait for cooler temperatures.

It is a great game. I wish my short game was better. I am sure it would get better if I practiced more. I play with my father a lot. He is 52, I am 25 and have at least 2 clubs distance on him. He is kinda like you, his shot are not always the prettiest, but he plays with what he has. He calls it "dance with who brung you" I don't if that's just a southern thing, but he is right. But he always beats me by at least 5-10 strokes because his short game is worlds better than mine.

my old man is slowing down. he's about an 8 handicap, but over the past year or so he's lost a lot of distance. time to hang up the stiff shafts. he's on the market for some old man irons, he's 63 but still shoots high 70's/low 80's consistantly.

where in the south are you? i'm in atlanta.

my buddy i was playing with yesterday told me a story about his dad. he always said the best time to hit a golf ball is the second after you let a great fart, and everything is right in the world for that second. lolz.

nice joke lol.

Birmingham, Alabama.
My dad is between 9-11 handicap, can't remember. I am about 13 handicap. It was about 6 when I was playing all the time. If he could straighten out his gross almost figure 8 shaped swing (backswing goes out and away, then tries to bring it back in the slot and lots of times just ends up slapping the ball and or glancing blow and it slices) he would be much better.

nice, i've played at Oxmoor Valley before. but i was a complete mess after seeing widespread at oak mtn and played horrible.

always wanted to to the whole bobby jones trail.