View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Permanent Visual Effects from LSD?

amber_dawn

Bluelighter
So my friend and I were having a discussion about vision, mostly having to do with color acuity (how well a person can distinguish colors/shades) and colorblindness/ tetrachromatic females (google it if you don't know what it is), which led to me talking about this idea I've had for a while....

Ever since the first time I took acid, I've felt that my pupils get larger than before. The first time I did it, I took a large dose and saw insane colors everywhere. For a few moments, at the height of my trip, I was unable to see anything except spiraling rainbows in various geometric shapes. Maybe this is normal, I don't know. But the thing is, the effects continued for long after the acid wore off. I was/am much more aware of colors than before. And for months afterward, I saw a rainbow halo around the moon. Maybe it was some long term effect of the acid, or maybe I'm just nuts....

...but I also feel I am much more sensitive to light than others, and I never had this problem *before* I took acid (or that I can remember, anyway). Bright lights REALLY bother me. I can barely stand full daylight at noon, even in winter. Headlights literally hurt my eyes. I have pretty excellent night vision, and am obsessed with star gazing--the night sky looks like pure insanity to me. I often see rainbows around artificial lights too.

Am I just totally insane? Is there ANY kind of proof, documentation, or experiences with this--that taking acid can make your pupils either A) permanently more dilated
or B) able to dilate more than before/more than regular humans (people who have never taken LSD)?

I thought that maybe you guys would have so interesting insight into this. Also, to note, I have done acid about 4 or 5 times since that first time (which was a good 6 years ago at this point) and I continued to experience extremely intense visuals, even seeing flower petals as transparent. I've done mushrooms and other psychedelics many times as well and experienced similar things, but it was that acid that really changed the way I perceive things visually.

Sorry this got so long! Let me know what you guys think or if you have any similar experiences. :D

Hi, I did LSD for years and have had about five hundred trips. I have not done it lately and I have no real HPPD to speak of.

I know the increased awareness of colour, texture, shading, refraction and perspective you are referring to. I am unsure of permanent pupil dilation. In most individuals, the prolonged sensory effects fade away after about a year (often less).

However, in a sense it is never truly gone, as you are now aware of it's existence.
What has been perceived cannot be unperceived.

I feel like i have many things in common with what you said. moreso now when i am extremely high i have closed eyed visuals and visuals if i stare at a wall or something

it doesn't bother me at all, to put it BLUNT i like it

However, in a sense it is never truly gone, as you are now aware of it's existence.
What has been perceived cannot be unperceived.

very true, nicely put.

and frusty noggets .... i like it too, haha. it does seem more intense while i am high, but that may just be the weed. ( oh, and i also like your name. =D )

I've been doing a little research online, but am unable to come up with anything really relevant. Other than the max pupil size in humans is 9 mm (although some sources say 7 and others say 8), and when it's fully dilated by unnatural causes, it's called mydriasis. It's pretty sparse information out there.

Eye_dilate.gif

Oh yes for sure. I always get these tiny weak fractals and I feel like my mind is an open playground. High on anyhting or sober as a bird, I get those visuals like you explained.

I've been doing a little research online, but am unable to come up with anything really relevant. Other than the max pupil size in humans is 9 mm (although some sources say 7 and others say 8), and when it's fully dilated by unnatural causes, it's called mydriasis. It's pretty sparse information out there.

Eye_dilate.gif

I really like that GIF!
If the dialated pupils are causing you much oversensitivity in bright areas to the point of real discomfort, you may obtain any parasympathomimetic available to you to constrict your pupils.

I get ridicously big pupils all the time, one joint and they are bigger than my girlfriend's on two hits acid (no joke)

can't really tell wether it has something to do with psychs though, it's been too long since i started with them to recall...

but i defenitely have permanent visual/mental effects from my trips... once the doors of perception have been cleansed it takes time to encrust them again with everyday-misconceptions and judgements, sometimes at least :D

The sensitivity to bright light is not a normal sideffect of LSD use. Sensitivity to colors, yes, and maybe even visual artifacts (HPPD), but sensitivity to bright light is not.
How sensitive are you? How does your sensitivity compare with that of your friends (who are presumably of normal light sensitivity?) If it's a small effect, it could just be hppd/psychosomatic effect, or natural difference that went unnoticed prior to the trip... Is it getting worse or better?

How sensitive are you? How does your sensitivity compare with that of your friends (who are presumably of normal light sensitivity?) If it's a small effect, it could just be hppd/psychosomatic effect, or natural difference that went unnoticed prior to the trip... Is it getting worse or better?

Depends on how long I've been in darkness, but normal headlights at night make my head hurt. i've never really asked anyone else... there is a good chance I just didn't notice it before. it's pretty constant, not really getting worse or better.
What is a visual artifact, exactly?

and huntley, i got the gif off of wikipedia! lol

I believe this is just you noticing fractals while sober which you could not notice prior to experiencing them through tripping.

The sensitivity to bright light is not a normal sideffect of LSD use.
I like wearing my shades when I'm in the sun. It's kind of uncomfortable when youre on 500ug+...not unbearable...just uncomfortable

Sorry to be a thread Necro, but; Light sensitivity could be triggered and brought on earlier from LSD. It runs in my family, and they usually develop it in mid 20's, me on the other hand. Not so lucky, Started to manifest after a year or so of LSD and I finally got some prescription glasses to be covered by my insurance that helps with photophobia. Hope you found, or will find, a way to handle the issue.

Rainbow around the moon is real the light refracts off the moisture in the sky as for other lights it's possible that the dilation of your pupils during the trip could have cause damage to your eyes if you were just staring at bright lights. As for your pupil dilation maybe you are viewing your eyes in an area of no light? I'm not 100% sure just relax and give it time if there is something wrong it may go away if not you might need some glasses lol

Permanent changes to your vision, from vasoconstriction, having excessively dry eyes/tearducts and other actual physical changes can absolutely be permanent, and they may have occurred while you were on LSD. Theres one take on it.
My permanent vision changes were floaters, rainbow wall/sky shininess and halo's around lights including the moon, stars. Ive always attributed it to the butane i was chuffing in my early teens, however it was also the only time in my life i was a regular and heavy lsd user.
So theres my two cents.

I too have what I believe is classified as HPPD. I get tracers all day long, and not just on lights. Any contrast, like walking by a white door frame on a darker colored wall, I'll see a ghost image of the door frame as I walk by. This has actually gotten way more intense these past few months, not sure why. I also get the halos around lights, car headlights as intensely bright and shimmery, and if I stare at a textured surface and let my eyes relax, I see full-on hallucination.

I don't mind it at all, it's kinda fun, but just worries me that it's indicative of an actual problem.

if you walk by the door and then see a series of ghosted door frames,
how long (seconds) is this apprehension of several frames,
and how many frames are visibly ghosted / layered over each other in the experience? (not counting those which had disappeared)