• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Weather thread - what's it like at your place now?

CharlesTheHammer

Bluelighter
January 27, 12.50 pm

We live on a rural 1.2 acre lot with LOTS of big trees, including LOTS of large pines which dont seem to handle the weight of LOTS of snow on their limbs! As I sit here, I keep hearing the scary sounds of not only limbs cracking under the pressure, but entire trees cracking! One big limb has already fallen and landed on my fairly new truck! Dont know how bad the damage is yet, but I dont see any dents so far. We WILL have many, many branches down by tomorrow, and I've even heard a tree come down about 20 minutes ago!8o

It seem that we've gotten an additional 10-14 inches of heavy wet snow over the last 24 hours. I know thats nothing to people in some places, but when you have to worry about trees and big, heavy branches falling down all around you, its a little scary!8o

Whats the storm like where you're at?:\

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Philly and we got at least a foot of snow. This is ridiculous, at least one storm a week! I need to get out of the northeast.

I am in Virginia and we got 2 inches yesterday but there hasn't been any snow on the ground in weeks :)
It makes the land look pretty. The roads are clear. I am learning that weather changes 15-20 minutes away from each other.
There was no snow when I drove to work this morning.

There's about 20inches of snow on the ground right now. But since the area is so dense with buildings and residences ( urban I should have said) there is piles of snow 4-10ft tall. It's wild. I should take some pictures. If you go to bigger parking lots the snow is literally pushed up to the second story landings. I can't wait to go to a friends apartment to see if we can dive out the second story window in sleds!

I'm in MA and the roads weren't bad at all this morning, they were clear by the time I headed out for work. The snow from the last several storms is piling up rapidly though, some of the snow banks in the yard are taller than me now.

living on the Great Lakes, it snows here everyday. another great reason for me to move to the pacific north west this summer :)

I'm in DC (the DMV area is considered NE), and its stopped snowing here. But last night it was AMAZING. I love snow :)

I hear my hometown of NYC is getting killed with 16"+, but up here in Buffalo, NY just some on and off light flurries, pleasant day overall =) I was around for the NYC disaster storm so it's definitely nice it hasn't reached here.

I am visiting in the South Bronx and we had 19 inches. I will be leaving before the next storm Tuesday (Feb. 01). Too bad, I love the snow.

How is this 1-31-11 storm affecting you?

10:25pm, 1-31-11

I dont think it is hitting us in the Eastern Us, mid atlantic region yet, or at least I dont see anything outside yet. We will hopefully be missed by this storm....

They are calling for 1 inch tonight, and then freezing rain tomorrow, with a high of 33 deg F, then rain all day Wednesday with a high of 41, so it sounds like some freezing rain tomorrow and rain the next day...........

I hear the mid west is going to get hammered though, same with the upper northeast......

How about you?

Just another day in Western New York.

We'd literally need to get like 4 ft. of snow in a single day for anyone to care.

Its snowing here and has been since about 5pm, its 12:03 now. A couple of inches only so far. They are saying its supposed to be a 'historic' storm, biggest since 1967. They say 18-24 inches and a blizzard warning has been issued for awhile. I heard some thing about possible 4 inches an hour, that's a lot for Chicago. Tomorrow at this time 10-20 below windchills, fun!

Just another day in Western New York.

We'd literally need to get like 4 ft. of snow in a single day for anyone to care.

Exactly. However, one of my professors canceled Wednesday's class as a precautionary measure. 8) One class of five canceled--Let's see if they close the college.

In Tulsa, OK everything is shut down I can see the freeway from my apartment and there hasn't been anyone on it for five minutes. My University is shut down the store was out of bread, milk, eggs, butter and lunch meat.

You'd think that the world was ending.