• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Face of Temazepam Addiction

kokaino

Bluelighter
The severity of the addiction which can develop to temazepam is illustrated by the case of a temazepam injector who needed his leg amputated but was later admitted for a second amputation since he had continued injecting into his remaining leg (Parrott 1995). A second subject, following a leg amputation, injected temazepam gel into his eye, resulting in bilateral blindness.
ashbzab.jpg

The severity of temazepam withdrawal has been described by one temazepam addict who stated that:

"I'd rather withdraw off heroin any day. If I was withdrawing from benzos you could offer me a gram of heroin or just 20mg of diazepam and I'd take the diazepam every time - I've never been so frightened in my life."

We all know temazepam abuse was at epidemic proportions in Europe (before temazepam was put into drug schedules with morphine, heroin, cocaine, etc), particularly in the UK, but to demonstrate the addictive potential of benzos, and temazepam in particular, below is the story of 'Peter'.

Peter's story:

'The one that got away': escalation from prescribed to street use of temazepam

Peter is the youngest of nine siblings. His mother is alcoholic; his father is unknown. He was taken into care at the age of 2 and brought up in a series of children's homes. He was said to be a quiet and sensitive child who was always terrified of violence. When he was about 13, following an incident with one of the teachers at a boarding school, Peter 'discovered' he was gay.

In his 20s, Peter was involved, as a passenger on a motor cycle, in a road traffic accident. He sustained serious injuries including fractures of his arm and collar bone and compound fractures in his leg. He spent several months in an orthopaedic ward and suffered complications including infection, non-healing of the leg fractures, bone-grafting, insertion of pins and plates, etc.

In hospital, he experienced 'dreadful panic attacks and fears'. He received no psychological treatment or counselling of any kind but was prescribed temazepam and dihydrocodeine. At first, the dosage of temazepam was 20mg nocte for sleep, but was increased to 60mg in hospital. After discharge, he continued to receive temazepam from his general practitioner because of panics and insomnia and the dosage was increased over a period of years until he was taking 80mg temazepam each night and 40-80mg during the day. He felt he had to take the temazepam, otherwise he got panicky and frightened, suffered pains in the stomach and was unable to sleep. After taking temazepam, he stated that he felt 'all nice and calm for a time, but then the panics and fear return'.

At the age of 30, Peter was removed from his GP's practice when it was discovered that he had altered a prescription for temazepam. He was taken on by another GP but later attended a series of GPs, obtaining ever larger prescriptions of temazepam and dihydrocodeine from each, often presenting with stories that his last prescription had been lost or stolen. He also attempted to obtain supplies of temazepam from the hospital pharmacy, the orthopaedic clinic and the casualty department, sometimes wearing a white tunic and name badge, giving the impression he was a nurse.

When he could no longer satisfy his need from prescriptions, Peter took to obtaining temazepam on the street, taking large and irregular doses by mouth. His behaviour became chaotic and he was twice sent to prison for credit card frauds. In prison, he was terrified and made bizarre claims about his health: that he was on renal dialysis. that he was HIV-positive, that he expected to have his leg amputated through disease. He was able to obtain temazepam in prison from other prisoners.

After discharge, and now aged 34, Peter agreed to enter a detoxification centre and apparently made a real effort to stop the temazepam. Initially, he made good progress. The temazepam was replaced with decreasing doses of diazepam and following his admission he continued for some months to attend the centre weekly as an outpatient. Withdrawal symptoms consisted of increasing anxiety, panics and stomach pains. He took no other drugs, as confirmed by weekly urine tests, and very little alcohol. He had never injected any drugs. Unfortunately, when down to only 4mg diazepam daily, he 'broke his contract' and obtained some temazepam on the street. This resulted in immediate discharge from the detoxification centre and no further medical supervision.

When last heard of, Peter, aged 35, was again buying temazepam illicitly and was involved in a court case for obtaining money on false pretences.

All of this info and more can be found here in the Ashton Manual

Last edited:
Yeah, so...benzodiazepines are addictive. More addictive then heroin. Nothing new but interesting story. Some people just never learn.

The reason why Temazepam is more widely abused is because its a hypnotic that can be administered intravenously via those gel capsules. Being a hypnotic makes it more desirable with heroin and other opiates. Also they were/are overly prescribed in some countries like the U.K.

Temazepam has always been my favorite benzodiazepine but not much given in the U.S. anymore. Been replaced by Ambien and Sonata type drugs

It's remarkable the severity of addiction to this drug.

But since temazepam was put in much stricter drug schedules all across Europe and Asia, it's abuse has somewhat gone down (Sweden and Norway have outlawed the drug outright). But its still big in the Netherlands and I guess they are being illicitly manufactured now. Interpol shutdown a big temazepam ring a few years back. It was centered in the Netherlands.

More on that here

Yeah, so...benzodiazepines are addictive. More addictive then heroin. Nothing new but interesting story. Some people just never learn.

The reason why Temazepam is more widely abused is because its a hypnotic that can be administered intravenously via those gel capsules. Being a hypnotic makes it more desirable with heroin and other opiates. Also they were/are overly prescribed in some countries like the U.K.

Temazepam has always been my favorite benzodiazepine but not much given in the U.S. anymore. Been replaced by Ambien and Sonata type drugs

The reason temazepam is more addictive or 'more abused' has to do with it's affinity to the different GABA(A) receptor subunit subtypes (which is why it is an 'hypnotic' - refer to this thread on benzo affinity to different GABA(A) receptors.). Along with that, temazepam has certain pharmacokinetic properties of absorption, distribution, elimination, and clearance that make it more apt to abuse compared to many other benzos.

Its not addictive to me either, I prefer it but no way would I be addicted to it!

The reason temazepam is more addictive or 'more abused' has to do with it's affinity to the different GABA(A) receptor subunit subtypes (which is why it is an 'hypnotic' - refer to this thread on benzo affinity to different GABA(A) receptors.). Along with that, temazepam has certain pharmacokinetic properties of absorption, distribution, elimination, and clearance that make it more apt to abuse compared to many other benzos.

I already know about the pharmacology of benzodiazepines. I created this->
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=531070 (third or something that shows up when you type benzodiazepines basics on google.)
It has high affinity to the alpha 1 subunit just like all other hypnotics. It is not more potent or anything. Triazolam has in fact high affinity to the alpha 1 subunit. Temazepam has more affinity to the alpha 2 and 5 subunits than other hypnotic which give it some anxiolytic effects. Some people find the benzodiazepines with higher affinity to the alpha 2 subunit (like clonazepam, alprazolam) more desirable. Its not some super potent benzodiazepine. It just happens to be the benzodiazepine of choice down in the U.K. We don't have those problems in America. In America Xanax happens to be the benzodiazepine of choice for abusers. All celebrities are abusing it making it very popular. You hear nothing about Temazepam abuse in America. No horror stories. It happens to be easily prescribed here.

And to whoever said they could never get addicted to Temazepam, that is dumb. Temazepam is just as addictive as other benzodiazepines.

I really don't see me getting addicted to them though, it doesn't really seem like a feeling I would want everyday. Not saying other people can't but I really don't think I can, but i don't get addicted to benzos either.

I really don't see me getting addicted to them though, it doesn't really seem like a feeling I would want everyday. Not saying other people can't but I really don't think I can, but i don't get addicted to benzos either.Then again I lied to my doctor to get 3 different benzos for nothing. I don't have anxiety issues everyday but yet I need klonopin for maintenance, xanax for anxiety, and restoril for sleep, but I hardly take them and trade them for other drugs. I am a drug seeking doctor shopping moronic mumbling BooB
Yes I know

Last edited:
In the UK they have labs because its very sparingly prescribed. In the U.S. you can go in with some sleep issues or anxiety and come out with a script for a benzo. Benzos aren't nearly as prescribed as much as they are in America. Our labs are the pharmacy counter. Full bottles of benzos of all kind everywhere. A lot of the horror stories you read up on Temazepam are from Europe and the reason why you hear more of them is because of the Ashton Manuel which is a U.K. based website. It was written in the U.K. (and beautifully done, I love the website. I have it in favorites).

On the flip side, in America do you ever hear of Temazepam? Very seldom. Here the benzo of choice, the very problematic, is Xanax. Famous people are overdosing and dieing from it, getting hooked and losing their careers. Its not just on the streets. So you could argue that Xanax is the most addictive and many people in America agree. Go down to the U.K. and people will argue. Its cultural. If Xanax wasn't prescribed to anyone and everybody then there would be labs down here producing alprazolam.

At one time Halcion carried all the horror stories in America. Famous people were into it big time like Burt Reynolds who nearly lost his career and life to it. I prefer Temazepam but I don't think its anymore potent then others. I don't know what it is that I like about it over others but its hypnosis is gentle and euphoric.

Yeah I feel buzzed without being drunk, its better than just not giving a fuck or whatever.

so benzo wd's are worse than opiates?

By far. Go cold turkey you can die. Come off too fast you risk psychotic break. Even coming off very slow(talking years, adding Valium and then slowly weaning off whatever benzo you were on, then when thats done, slowly weaning off the valium) your going to be on a rollercoaster of highs and lows which makes not only your life hell but everyone else your involved with, family, friends, etc.

Evil fucking class of drugs.

In the UK they have labs because its very sparingly prescribed. In the U.S. you can go in with some sleep issues or anxiety and come out with a script for a benzo. Benzos aren't nearly as prescribed as much as they are in America. Our labs are the pharmacy counter. Full bottles of benzos of all kind everywhere. A lot of the horror stories you read up on Temazepam are from Europe and the reason why you hear more of them is because of the Ashton Manuel which is a U.K. based website. It was written in the U.K. (and beautifully done, I love the website. I have it in favorites).

On the flip side, in America do you ever hear of Temazepam? Very seldom. Here the benzo of choice, the very problematic, is Xanax. Famous people are overdosing and dieing from it, getting hooked and losing their careers. Its not just on the streets. So you could argue that Xanax is the most addictive and many people in America agree. Go down to the U.K. and people will argue. Its cultural. If Xanax wasn't prescribed to anyone and everybody then there would be labs down here producing alprazolam.

At one time Halcion carried all the horror stories in America. Famous people were into it big time like Burt Reynolds who nearly lost his career and life to it. I prefer Temazepam but I don't think its anymore potent then others. I don't know what it is that I like about it over others but its hypnosis is gentle and euphoric.
Yes. Before Michael Jackson and the whole Heath Ledger situation around 2008 you could go to a doctor and get Xanax prescribed very easily. I got put on Xanax in 2008, just went to my PC, told him what was going on, and I thought I left with Ativan and Silly me I go and pick up my script and its Xanax. I was surprised. Then again I remember one time When my doctor didn't want to prescribe me Xanax anymore, I had to find a new doctor. I called a local doctor at the time and set up an appointment. I asked him if he could be my PC and prescribe me medicine Adderall, and Xanax from now on. He said no very strongly on the Adderall, told me he knew I felt like shit after checking my blood pressure, gave me a script for Xanax, and told me not to come back. I didn't even have to pay for it. I swear it was the weirdest thing and now everyone and their mom is scared of it. It's not nearly as bad as being addicted to Temazepam. I know that much. Nowadays everyone wants you on Ativan, or Klonopin, and they forget that these two benzodiazapines are not the most affective in certain patients and could cause them more problems to begin with (moody, depressed, Paradoxical effects you know)

looking to quit the benzos

is it even possible any ideas?I am not an abuser a user for a long time and looking for an easier way to handle the wd know about benzo org.do u guys ahve any good ideas?
much appreciated
trinity

I'm stuck on Klonopin still, horrible withdrawals when I taper so I always go back up to around 2.5mgs a day now, just can't seem to get off of it.

I'd take Heroin wd over benzo wd anyday, with Heroin even with no sub I can take some loperamide and benzos and naproxen and feel significantly better. Nothing seems to help benzo wd, you just have to go very very slow and taper.

I think I need something with an even longer half life and be extra determined for it to happen as far as the benzos, I'm still on subs too, such a mess... I had no idea the hell I was signing up for with benzos. Opiates I had an idea, not benzos though, the doctor gave me no warning and I didn't think to research it on my own back then.

I wish I'd never gotten that first xanax script in 07, it's been near impossible to get off of benzos since I got my first script.

i'm high as fuck. benzos can be addicting as heroin?

i do crave them after i'm stimmmin tho for the come down