• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin vs lyrica

I am a heavy user of pregabalin and its my drug of choice,I am on like 1500 mg a day ,any advice to cut down the tolerance? There is very less resources about pregabalin,

So any suggestion is welcome,

Gabapentine is a very weird drug. A third
Of the time I take it is get very depressed. The other two thirds i get extremely euphoric, happy, and want to chat with random strangers, also makes orgasms really intense, along with a pretty significant psychedelic influence. I think it is a tolerance issue.

Last edited:
Quick question:

Had 200mg of lyrica (second time ever, first time was 75mg plus 15mg oxy) and about 3-4 beers spaced out over the day yesterday. Went to sleep at 5 am woke up 10 am fresh and ready for the day. I feel no kind of anxiety or anything I would usually feel after waking up. I almost feel manic.

I was planning on doing either oxycodone or some of my homemade opium sirup today.

I dont exactly know about lyricas half life, but should I dose the opiates lower than usual? Or is it safe to stick to my known doses?
What would you suggest?
Will yesterdays drug consumption have a big interaction with the upcoming opiate/opioid high?

Thanx ppl

Pregabaline is indeed a bit more effective.

I started taking it about 2 years ago at 150 mg for anxiety that impaired my functioning, after a number of months I went up 75 mg and later I again went up 75 mg and then took between 225-300 mg each day. The second year was definitely less effective but it still helped when compared to not taking it.

Some shrinks taper you within the week but others take quite a number of weeks to do it. It depends on the person and the psychiatrist. I personally felt pretty horrible tapering it myself these last few weeks - I am now just about at zero. I do hear that you can virtually completely set your entire tolerance this way though... it would be awesome if I could get another great year like the first one... but for now I will first see if I am fine without it.

IMO the tolerance only rises fast if you think that the 'magic' or recreational potential is what it is all about - however it is a medication and for therapeutical purposes tolerance doesn't necessarily rise extremely fast. You and your doc will just need to demonstrate some self control and don't judge the efficacy by the blurry slurry magical feelings you get when taking a whole lot more than you're used to.

I'm currently on 600mg of Pregabalin per day. I'm prescribed it to help me while I withdraw from Diazepam (Again!) Will just cut from 25-24/22mg Diazepam tomorrow, I think Pregabalin also helps anxiety by itself. As well as helping keep some types of seizures at bay. It's a bit of a wonder drug in a sense.

Quick question:

Had 200mg of lyrica (second time ever, first time was 75mg plus 15mg oxy) and about 3-4 beers spaced out over the day yesterday. Went to sleep at 5 am woke up 10 am fresh and ready for the day. I feel no kind of anxiety or anything I would usually feel after waking up. I almost feel manic.

I was planning on doing either oxycodone or some of my homemade opium sirup today.

I dont exactly know about lyricas half life, but should I dose the opiates lower than usual? Or is it safe to stick to my known doses?
What would you suggest?
Will yesterdays drug consumption have a big interaction with the upcoming opiate/opioid high?

Thanx ppl

Lyrica' s half-life is 6 hours. 200mg is not a lot of lyrica. So with that dose of oxycodone, it is not a lot. I would not mix it with alcohol, though. It still feels, like you are feeling the lyrica though, as the manic effect is an effect, as is energy and talkativeness, and other MDMA/GHB/benzo-combination type effects.

I would say it will have some interaction by potentiating anymore lyrica you take, but that is about it.

Remember, that lyrica is only 6 times more potent that gabapentin. So the pregablin dose you took is only about 1800mg of gabapentin.

^A potentiatior is a drug or agent that will or enhance or intensify the effects of another one through through a pharmacological or :The potentiation can take place at any part of the liberation, absorption, distribution, metabolism and elimination of the drug.

If it's a pharmacological potentiation, it's usually then called synergy.

Lyrica' s half-life is 6 hours. 200mg is not a lot of lyrica. So with that dose of oxycodone, it is not a lot. I would not mix it with alcohol, though. It still feels, like you are feeling the lyrica though, as the manic effect is an effect, as is energy and talkativeness, and other MDMA/GHB/benzo-combination type effects.

I would say it will have some interaction by potentiating anymore lyrica you take, but that is about it.

Remember, that lyrica is only 6 times more potent that gabapentin. So the pregablin dose you took is only about 1800mg of gabapentin.

^A potentiatior is a drug or agent that will or enhance or intensify the effects of another one through through a pharmacological or :The potentiation can take place at any part of the liberation, absorption, distribution, metabolism and elimination of the drug.
!
If it's a pharmacological potentiation, it's usually then called synergy.
Wow!!! Six times more potent than gabapentin!!!
I'm taking these meds for relief of back pain. I'm due to have a spinal fusion and need something to ease the pain.
But after being on both these meds I think I'll see if I can cope without them.
I've been on both Lyrica and gabapentin. Started off on Lyrica and was taking 75 mg per day but after only 3 weeks I noticed was gaining weight rapidly.
Asked my doctor to put me on something similar to dull the pain so he prescribed gabapentin which I've guessing I've been taking for a month or so. Am on 300mg x 3 daily.
Still not happy with the side effects which include weight gain (yet again), blurry eyes, short term memory loss and generally feeling anxious and spaced out.

After reading up about both drugs I'm determined not to take anything (that's if I can endure my chronic back pain). If not totally come off them at least reduce the amount I'm taking.

Is it dangerous going off these meds cold turkey? So far I felt headachey but touch wood I'm regaining my memory. Basically ive been off both meds for approx. 48 hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.... incidentally I'm new to these forums so please excuse if I'm doing something wrong etc.

When I first started using Gabapentin, I took a wicked high dose because I felt great and thought I would just keep getting higher and higher. I ended up experiencing severe tremors and uncontrollable convulsions. The convulsions just came on all of the sudden. I was holding a glass of water in my hand and I literally threw it down on the counter with enough force to shatter it.

I ended up going to the ER when I had these seizure-like effects. It seems that hardly anyone in the medical field has any knowledge about Gabapentin overdose, addiction, tolerance etc. When I told them that it was the Gabapentin causing these effects, they said that there was simply no way. "Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant, it prevents seizures and doesn't cause them" blah blah blah.

Again the importance of sharing our experiences with these drugs is very important as my case was supposedly "unprecedented", but seeing that other people have had the same experience is pretty enlightening.

I hate digging up old threads but this is exactly what happens to me on gabapentin. Lack of sleep seems to potentiate it, and it isnt necessarily dose dependent. Its some kind of myoclonic jerking thing, if it gets real bad it can make me drop cold while walking. Its like your brain shuts off for a split second.

One night i took around 6 grams while (unsuccessfully) trying to mitigate 5g/day tianeptine withdrawal and had a full blown seizure.

I hate digging up old threads but this is exactly what happens to me on gabapentin. Lack of sleep seems to potentiate it, and it isnt necessarily dose dependent. Its some kind of myoclonic jerking thing, if it gets real bad it can make me drop cold while walking. Its like your brain shuts off for a split second.

One night i took around 6 grams while (unsuccessfully) trying to mitigate 5g/day tianeptine withdrawal and had a full blown seizure.

as opposed as i am also to necro-ing old threads i too agree here, this is important information.
sorry to hear about what you went thru bro, do you have any lingering damage or was it all okay once it was over?

This would make sense. My doc suggested that while opiates block pain signals going to the brain, lyrica (and gabapentin I'm sure) blocks signals going out of the brain. SO...It sounds like maybe a higher dose of these would block signals to the appendages, perhaps while walking, and block that signal telling you to move the leg. The seizures I am not as familiar with; I hope you are now doing ok and have no permanent lingering issues.

I'll throw my hat in the ring here. I too have experienced the Myoclonic jerking side-effect from Gabapentinoids. It's much more prevalent with Pregabalin (Lyrica) than with Gabapentin (Neurontin), but I feel that this could just be directly related to the increased potency of the former. If I take too much, I can start flailing violently. It's not a seizure per se, it's more just a brief twitch and for that split second, it's like you're out of your body.

Whenever I experience it, I try to walk around because I have the mentality that I'm in total control of my body, like usual and this has ended up with bad accidents a couple of times. I smashed my face on one occasion, so it's definitely something to be aware of. Now, I know my limits pretty accurately and this doesn't tend to happen.

This would make sense. My doc suggested that while opiates block pain signals going to the brain, lyrica (and gabapentin I'm sure) blocks signals going out of the brain. SO...It sounds like maybe a higher dose of these would block signals to the appendages, perhaps while walking, and block that signal telling you to move the leg. The seizures I am not as familiar with; I hope you are now doing ok and have no permanent lingering issues.

Cool, youre still around.

Do you think that trying to talk, multitask or make coordinated movements makes it worse? Almost always triggers it for me. Im coming off a six month heroin bender with gabapentin only... It has been tolerable but comes with these caveats. Sometimes afraid to leave the house.

^Yes, I typically find when I am stimulated in any way, be it somebody talking to me, loud noises, general anxiety etc. greatly exacerbate the Myoclonus. Usually, if I can just sit and sort of meditate, I have absolutely no jerking. I find sitting and trying to relax to be the best and safest recourse. It's really no joke. If you're driving a car, riding a bicycle or even walking, you have the potential to seriously fuck yourself up. Take it from Keif', he's done it too many times.

Keif is right.
The higher the dose, the more it seems to take over all the signals from the brain. It is intended to only cover the pain; I am sure once it has filled those spaces it spills over into other signals...walking, talking, cognitive thinking...eventually it will knock you out. Or - make you black out but still be functional. Be careful...as we all know to be. :*

Keif is right.
The higher the dose, the more it seems to take over all the signals from the brain. It is intended to only cover the pain; I am sure once it has filled those spaces it spills over into other signals...walking, talking, cognitive thinking...eventually it will knock you out. Or - make you black out but still be functional. Be careful...as we all know to be. :*

Yup. I should have learned my lesson, but I came across 150mg pregablin the other night and took 1.5g spaced through the day. Figured I was well familiar with the equivalent gabapentin dosage so whatever.

WORST twitching/jerking ever short of a seizure. Fell flat on my ass three times. Any conscious movement, even chewing food would cause it, I kept spitting my food out from it. Not pleasant, don't be me.

Haven't read all posts, but simply having to take triple or more of the dose of Pregabalin to get the same effects says a lot... I'm voting for Pregabalin (Lyrica).

I took 1200mg sunday spread throughout the day its very mild but gives u more appitite to eat, i also took 30/500mg co codomol and 50mg of benedryl to get to sleep , just didnt feel tired. Ive just taken a 10mg roche which i think are fake.

Gabapentin and Lyrica seem to potentate opiates in my experience, with the latter (obviously) being the much more potent brother of Gabapentin. They hand both out like Candy in my country as it's via Rx only (Not scheduled) so I heavily abused it for quite a while before finally deciding to quit.

At my peak I was taking 40 300mg Pregabalin capsules orally (My poor kidneys :()

IME Pregabalin and Gabapentin's recreational potential only persist through 2-3 uses in a row without increasing the dose.

I've had way more experience with Pregabalin than Gabapentin but can confirm if you wish to use it recreationally, you must have an empty stomach and takes anywhere from 1 1/2 hours - 2 1/2 hours for effects to become pronounced.

I've had my kidney's function tested since my addiction and there doesn't seem to be any persisting problems. Everyone is different so YMMV.