• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how to smoke opium?

kanucme

Bluelighter
do you need a special opium pipe? I've seen posts where people talk about smoking it and I always wondered how you do it.

Mixed with/ on top of weed in a bowl is how most people do it. I've done it out of a meth-style pipe before, with good results.

Traditionally people use opium pipes, but I've never known anyone who had one.

it's like smoking marijuana resin. the substance seems to have almost identical physical properties as resin when burned.

The traditional way is to heat it indirectly in an "opium pipe" (those things with the big long stem) akin to smoking meth or something.

Burning it is much less effective but still works.

I've heard direct contact with the flame isn't recommended. Lighting it up with weed in a pipe, not a bong, sounds like the easiest, most hassle-free way. But what would be a better method for someone with no access to a proper opium pipe?

It's a shame so many waste precious opium by smoking it with a direct flame in a pipe/bong or in a joint. That destroys most of the alkaloids. It's no wonder it hasn't caught on, no one in the west knows how to smoke it. You want to sublime the alkaloids out, not burn them.

Opium pipe with an opium lamp is best. If you can't get those, the most popular method in Iran is to put the opium on a pin, heat it up a bit(don't burn it), then heat up a wire or piece of metal, and touch the opium with it while suck up the smoke with a straw.Kind of like hot knifing. What I've done is used a meth pipe, burns up more since you can't twist it due to the dross, but tastes better than foil. Also I've used foil and straw, heat it and tilt the foil, and let it drip down, following it with the lighter and suck it up. Suck hard for either foil or hot knifing. Save the dross(ashes), reportedly they have a lot of morphine trapped inside.

I bet anything used for vaporizing hash oil would work for opium.

It's such a shame that most of the opium goes towards heroin production. The market for opium would be very large, but H hooks them better and keeps them coming. I wish Mexico would just leave it as opium instead of turning it into tar:(.

Traditionally people use opium pipes, but I've never known anyone who had one.

I used to have an opium pipe, but I sold it for heroin :(

I've heard direct contact with the flame isn't recommended.

True, you want to vaporize it, not burn it.

I bet anything used for vaporizing hash oil would work for opium.

Not necessarily, a lot of hash oil vaporizers would clog if you put opium in them, they are designed for liquids. Excellent other suggestions though :)

I've smoked tons of opium, it's easily my favorite drug in the entire world.

I traditionally use an ivory opium pipe that's been in my family for generations.

Also smoked it on weed and even on foil, out of a tweak pipe, home-made imitation opium pipes.

The best option is obviously a traditional opium pipe, I don't support the ivory trade but it is pretty damn cool.

What methods are available yet very effective for someone with no access to a true opium pipe?

Hi snafu. You can eat it, but be very careful with the dose. Wrap it in a cigarette paper and swallow it with a hot tea.

For smoking, you don't really have the choice besides a real opium pipe. I heard you can't smoke it effectively in a vaporizer like cannabis, and you want to vape it, as Swimmingdancer said.

actually most people will mix it with tobacco and smoke it out of a pipe thats how smoking opium came about

Yes they do, but they're wasting the majority of the opium in doing so ;)

i don't understand how they could be wasting anymore than with any other smoking method but if they take it orally they would absorb more i believe

What methods are available yet very effective for someone with no access to a true opium pipe?
Foil and straw, meth pipe, hot knifing, or light bulbs. Also when China/US started cracking down on opium they'd make pipes out of vases, jars or wine flasks. They'd drill a hole in them and attached a bamboo stem to them. They were also used to smoke heroin pills. It could be taken apart easily and it was easier to hid. Towards the end of the opium epidemic the pipes found were really ghetto. For ghetto opium lamps I've seen some uses a candle covered with a cup with a hole in the bottom or a soda can in place of a real opium lamp. Also in Iran they traditionally used shisha coals to heat up and vaporize the opium.
Mrflowers00 said:
actually most people will mix it with tobacco and smoke it out of a pipe thats how smoking opium came about
A lot would, but they'd waste opium. It called madak. Often it was mixed with tobacco, acacia leaves, barley husks, other herbs and spices, and/or sometimes gold or silver threads for there supposed tonic effect. This was only done when/where opium was widely available and legal, so it didn't matter if it was wasted anymore than most of the nicotine or alcohol gets wasted taken most routes. I think in India even madak, which was made usually with acacia leaves, was vaporized. Burning it will give you 10-15% of the morphine tops. That's why you read trip reports where they smoke like a gram. A gram of good opium could be too dangerous to smoke the right way.
i don't understand how they could be wasting anymore than with any other smoking method but if they take it orally they would absorb more i believe
Oral has good absorbtion but it lack the flavor, rush and experience of smoking opium. It'd be best to make laudanum for oral administration, with alcohol, saffron, cinnamon, and nutmeg, it you want to stay true to tradition. In some parts of India they make tea out of opium, not just pods. This study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2588593/?tool=pubmed shows that oral opium had the highest bioavailability for morphine, with vafour(opium pipe using shisha coal) not far behind, and Sikh-Sang(a variant of hot knifing) the lowest. It also claims that smoking opium, particularly via sikh-sang, had a negative effect on health. I'm not a medical professional, so I can't interpret their date to see if it's true.

While the morphine bioavailability is lower smoked, you have to know that the other alkaloids add to the high. The other alkaloids are more volatile than morphine and codeine. In fact, a lot of the morphine and codeine stays in the dross( http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1981-01-01_1_page006.html ) . Chinese opium smokers actually preferred opium with a lot of other alkaloids over high morphine low secondary alkaloid opium. Cooking and smoking dross, which has mostly morphine, was regarded as ghetto and more toxic.

Opium can also be taken rectally, sublingually and even snorted. I know sublingually worked surprisingly well, and snorted seemed to do something but I didn't use enough to tell. I guess morphine meconate is much better absorbed than other salts, since the sulfate doesn't work with those ROA.

I have wonder if opium smoking could be brought into the 21st century. Like how would a vapor genie or a skillet work with opium. Is there an electronic vaporizer that can mimic the precise heating of an opium lamp? Maybe someone could get a glass blower to make a modern opium pipe? Could the lamp and pipe be made more portable and quicker to uses?

Sadly there's no market in the west for opium, it all goes to heroin. Heroin's better for those who want to get fucked up quickly. There's no market for your smoke shop to risk selling opium paraphernalia. And most don't know how to harvest opium, make yen gao/chandoo or even how to grow poppies or smoke opium.