• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

mg of THC in edibles?

Gigles

Bluelighter
mg of THC in edibles? (preventing MDMA-induced hyperthermia/neurotoxicity)

Does anyone know how many mg of THC are in your average edible?

I've been making them for a while and would really like to find out. (google is no help)

Basically my problem is I have no idea how much THC is extracted into my lipid when I make butter.

My calculations go like this:

1/2 ounce of good weed (10%+THC content) used to make a batch with 10 doses

so 1/2 ounce = ~14 grams

Therefore, a 1/2 would have ~1.4 grams of THC.

If I assume that close to 100% of THC is extracted into the butter I make, then the batch of brownies would have a little less than 1.4 grams of THC. And each dose would have ~140 mg of THC.

But I doubt that 100% THC extraction can be achieved. Does any expert know what is more realistic? 25% , 50% , 75%?

Last edited:
some people say twice as much as it would take you to get high if you smoked it. Usually .5-2 grams, or more.

IME, .5 grams was a mild nice high, 1g was a good, solid high, and anything above that was pretty nuts 8).

however, I had a high tolerance from vaping daily, so those dosages might not be the same for you.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about actual results from amount of weed per dose in edibles (my brownies get people pretty fucking high).

What I was asking for is if anyone has any actual idea about the THC mg in edibles, specifically the maximum THC extraction results that can be achieved with careful cannabutter preparation.

My motive for this is because I am interested in the results of this study: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009143

It found that 3 mg/kg of THC administered before large doses of MDMA in mice significantly reduced MDMA-induced hyperthermia, and therefore much MDMA-induced neurotoxicity.

It would be useful for me to know where my hypothetical brownies (that I discussed in the first post) might fall in THC content on a scale between 35mg (at 25% extraction) and 140mg (at 100% extraction), based on the percentage yield of the THC from the bud into the cannabutter.

On a side note, if anyone has any information/studies about the vasodilation and/or cooling effects of cannabis, that would also be much appreciated.

That's a tremendous dose of THC - it starts to get active at ~1mg in most people IIRC. Even Marinol doesn't come in much bigger than 10mg caps. 3mg/kg would put you in SPACE, brother. (400mg+)

I would imagine that as long as you were sure to remove all of the oil from your cannabis and ensured a good extraction (grind it fine, let it sit for quite a while with heating/stirring) you would be in the 80 to 90% yield, easily more. Chromatography is really the only way to know - or just leaving the green material in your butter to ensure it's all there :p

1mg of THC is active? So it IS total bullshit when they say "The chemicals in K2 are up to 10x more potent than THC in cannabis"? Or did you mean 1mg/kg?

1mg of THC is active? So it IS total bullshit when they say "The chemicals in K2 are up to 10x more potent than THC in cannabis"? Or did you mean 1mg/kg?

I think he means 1mg/kg.

If I could somehow get 1mg of pure THC I'm pretty doubtful it would get me high, but then again that's basically just a guess.

^ That makes sense. I got confused because every other time he gave a dose he put /kg after it.

I've heard the statistic oft-quoted in the media that the average street-joint (which I'm assuming means low-grade weed) contains around 10mg of THC.

Does anyone else find it odd that so little information is available about THC and its active dosage on the internet?

THC is active, barely, in naive users and certainly not enough to be called "getting stoned", at 1 to 2 milligrams. Not mg/kg, 1 to 2 milligrams per dose. Look up the doses of Marinol used clinically.

The chemicals in JWH are "more potent" in that they bind stronger to the receptors and produce greater activation - not neccesarily potency in terms of weight.

Introduced intravenously in humans, THC is active @ roughly 20µg/kg ; CBN @ 200µg/kg.
CBD showed no activity @ levels up to 270µg/kg, however synergism with other cannabinoids is likely.

Have you ever seen the gel caps on the market.
They sometimes only have .25mg of thc supposedly. I tried these other ones that said 500mg organic cannabis and they destroyed me.

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question about edibles for me. Do butter molecules which are supposed to bond with THC molecules travel to the brain along with the THC? Or does all food molecules travel to the brain for that matter? :)

The butter actually goes through your endocrine-nodes and lymphatic-sac before it drops off the THC at the brain-box.

It's more efficient that way.

Introduced intravenously in humans, THC is active @ roughly 20µg/kg ; CBN @ 200µg/kg.
CBD showed no activity @ levels up to 270µg/kg, however synergism with other cannabinoids is likely.

I always thought that intravenous consumption of hash was extremely dangerous due to the high viscosity of the oil. Are you saying that there are less viscous forms of THC that can be taken?

Any intravenous injections of THC would be pure synthetic compound or natural isolate, likely emulsified and delivered in a lab/clinical setting - banging hash or otherwise is a bad bad plan, you're right.

I always thought that intravenous consumption of hash was extremely dangerous due to the high viscosity of the oil. Are you saying that there are less viscous forms of THC that can be taken?

No scientist in the world would use hash in a trial like this. Pure, isolated compounds were used.

If memory serves, pure(99.99%+) Δ9-THC(and it's close 21 carbon analogs) is an oily viscous substance at standard temperature and pressure.

A solvent must have been used.

To my knowledge(please correct me if I'm wrong someone), stable salts of "traditional" (21 carbon atom) cannabinoids are extremely(if not impossibly) difficult to produce.

Last edited:
I've had some nice pumpkin cake from one of my local clubs and on the packet read (Approx. 64 mg of THC) in a 3 oz square haha got me stoned lol and I smoke quite a bit of meds

I just got a single chocolate from a cannabis club, because it had statistics on it.
Said pure indica, and each bar contains 60mg of THC.
There were more expensive ones, containing 120mg of THC, but they were all made from sativas or hybrids, so I decided upon this one.

I've eaten half of it and have begun to feel effects. Very nice effects, but I still have the urge to consume more thc, by smoking, but I'm going to eat the other half of the chocolate (30 more mg of THC) instead. Give it a few hours, see how it works out.

I have no idea how many mg are in any given bud or edible, but this is the first I've seen that had that information on the label. I wish more products had the milligrams listed so people could more easily gauge how much they need for the desired result.

I believe 10mg THC orally is a dose high enough to get someone "stoned", though CBD offsets a bit of THC. Your edibles probably have no more than 40mg THC, but I don't think your weed has as much THC as you think it does. I don't think the 10% THC claim is too accurate (even if your stuff is from a dispensary).

To the post above: I can't imagine a pot brownie could contain 120mg THC when an orally active dose is 1mg, and a dose high enough to get stoned is 10-15mg tops. That claim is probably based on their 20% THC claim, which is probably also false.

I believe it. There were four portions of the chocolate, each one containing 15mg. It was recommended that the patient consume one quarter only.
I don't follow directions though, because I'm a non-conformist. That and edibles rarely have any noticeable effect on me, due to the fact that I've been a regular smoker for some 13 odd years.
This was definitely one of the most potent pieces of munch I've ever munched, because it worked. That's more than I can say for most edibles I've consumed in the past.

It also had doses for CBD and CBN listed: <1mg of each.
That could have been the reason for the lack of "stoning" inhalation usually provides.

If it was anyone besides me, the whole chocolate would have been way too much for them to handle.
From studies I've read, about 15mg (via inhalation) IS a normal dose of THC, and 1mg would provide very few effects, if any, especially if dosed orally.

This wasn't some estimate of percentages. This is milligrams. A measure of mass. Mass is unaffected by gravity and environmental factors. 60mg is 60mg.
My only wish is that I'd tried to eat an entire 120. Or at least the whole 60. I didn't consume the other 30mg that night at all, but the following day, so even the urge to redose wasn't strong.