• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Cold Water Extraction (CWE) Mega Thread & FAQ v2.0

Ha, Pholcodeine is schedule 1 on the controlled substances act along with H and LSD in the States, Like your Class A. The stuff isn't much more powerful than DextroMethorphan HBr from the reports, although it does have a benzylisoquinoline backbone. We're so backwards over here sometimes. We're just starting to get it right with cannabis.

Ha, Pholcodeine is schedule 1 on the controlled substances act along with H and LSD in the States, Like your Class A. The stuff isn't much more powerful than DextroMethorphan HBr from the reports, although it does have a benzylisoquinoline backbone. We're so backwards over here sometimes. We're just starting to get it right with cannabis.
Wow I feel bad for you yanks lol can't you even get immodium

You'll have a very hard job getting any chemist to sell you codeine linctus OTC nowadays....those days are largely long gone and it's all that pholcodeine (sp?) stuff now.

a 32 pack of Codeine/Ibuprofen cost about £6. More expensive than the paracetemol, but safer I think. I was once prescribed some with dihydrocodeine in, I'm not sure if that's stronger than codeine, but it doesn't appear to be OTC

Fortunately I live in a big city so I can try different pharmacies. It varies greatly. Some ask you lots of questions suspiciously, others just hand over the pack with minimal talk

I've tried CWE a few times now but got nothing from it. I'll keep peservering, and raising the dose gradually

it takes ages through a coffee filter though - at least 2 hours before all the water has dripped through 8(

I never get a clear solution for Ibup+Codeine using exactly the same method that gives crystal clear solutions from Paracetamol/DHC. I think it is the binders used with Ibup rather than there being lots of Ibup in the result - it has never made me feel ill (I'd still rather have a clear result though). Do make sure you don't use anything with Ibuprophen Lysine in it for CWE. Ibuprophen Lysine in much more soluble in cold water than Ibuprophen, so if you do CWE with Ibup Lysine you still end up with lots of Ibup in your final result which will do you no good at all if you drink it (very bad for the stomach).

Don't bother with ibuprofen you can take about 6 - 10 of the 200/12.8 boots ibuprofen and codeine anyway trust me we got it made especially if you have over 14 pharmacies within walking distance like me:)

Sorry I meany to say don't bother with ibuprofen for cold water extraction..I've tried it don't do it

a 32 pack of Codeine/Ibuprofen cost about £6. More expensive than the paracetemol, but safer I think. I was once prescribed some with dihydrocodeine in, I'm not sure if that's stronger than codeine, but it doesn't appear to be OTC

Fortunately I live in a big city so I can try different pharmacies. It varies greatly. Some ask you lots of questions suspiciously, others just hand over the pack with minimal talk

I've tried CWE a few times now but got nothing from it. I'll keep peservering, and raising the dose gradually

it takes ages through a coffee filter though - at least 2 hours before all the water has dripped through 8(

Fuck me mate I don't know where you're buying your co-codamol from but it does not cost £6 where I live....just over No prices depending on where you get it...No prices at the very most (and I wouldn't even pay that).

Edit...sorry just realised you're talking about codeine /ibuprofen....It's not worth the extra money mate..just buy codeine and paracetamol for less than half the price....if done properly a CWE will have minimal paracetamol left in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a lucky morning I just went to pick up my 56 30 mg codeine phosphate tablets from the chemist but they were late opening so I decided to kill some time in the bookies put 1 quid in the machine walked away with 40 gonna treat myself to some paramol:)

Fuck me mate I don't know where you're buying your co-codamol from but it does not cost N.P where I live....just over no prices depending on where you get it...no prices at the very most (and I wouldn't even pay that).

Edit...sorry just realised you're talking about codeine /ibuprofen....It's not worth the extra money mate..just buy codeine and paracetamol for less than half the price....if done properly a CWE will have minimal paracetamol left in it.
Ha I can get codeine for No price discussion in some places 1000 mg of codeine for under a fiver now that's value for money god save the queen

Ha I can get codeine for X in some places 1000 mg of codeine for under a fiver now that's value for money god save the queen

Yeah...I mean it depends where you go. Some large chain chemists charge over X but if you find a small shop it's often much less. I've no idea why anyone would pay X for codeine and ibuprofen

Incidentally chemists CAN sell you as many packets as trhey want not just 1 but it's up to their own discretion.

Keep an eye out that you don't get Codeine with 3 ingredients like APAP + caffeine + codeine. It's becoming more prevalent.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out that you don't get Codeine with 3 ingredients like APAP + caffeine + codeine. It's becoming more prevalent. ]

LOL....this was one of the things I so hated about my own painkiller addiction....constantly having to come up with some transparent bullshit story to my GP about why I needed a repeat early. I knew it was lies and I'm sure he did too....but more often than not he refilled it anyway.

It's wierd how some doctors will just flat out say no and some will agree to your rediculous demands without a second thought.

I'm so glad that is in the past now...and anything I can do to help others with the same problem I will...

I know but I'm new to CWE and learning the ropes. I would be concerned using APAP becaue of the potential toxic liver effects

do you know if the CWE methods mentioned here work as well for Ibuprofen, or should I do something differently?

I had a lucky morning I just went to pick up my 56 30 mg codeine phosphate tablets from the chemist but they were late opening so I decided to kill some time in the bookies put 1 quid in the machine walked away with 40 gonna treat myself to some paramol:)

do the 30mg tablets come with Ibuprofen or are they only paracetemol?

Ha I can get codeine for no prices in some places 1000 mg of codeine for under a fiver now that's value for money god save the queen

which pharmacies?

Yeah...I mean it depends where you go. Some large chain chemists charge over X but if you find a small shop it's often much less. I've no idea why anyone would pay X for codeine and ibuprofen

well it's the cheapest I've found the Ibu/Codeine combination yet. Boots and Superdrugs generic brands. Nurofen+ is the same but around X. Do you know where sells it cheaper, or if it can be bought online? Sorry, No prices

I know but I'm new to CWE and learning the ropes. I would be concerned using APAP becaue of the potential toxic liver effects

do you know if the CWE methods mentioned here work as well for Ibuprofen, or should I do something differently?

do the 30mg tablets come with Ibuprofen or are they only paracetemol?

which pharmacies?

well it's the cheapest I've found the Ibu/Codeine combination yet. Boots and Superdrugs generic brands. Nurofen+ is the same but around X. Do you know where sells it cheaper, or if it can be bought online?

Hey mate.

The technique is just the same for paracetamol as it is for ibuprofen. As long as you solution is cold before you filter and you use coffee filters (and not too much water to dissolve your pills in.....for 1 pack of 32, 100ml of water is more than enough) then you cabt go wrong and will end up with very little paracetamol in your collected water

As for the price it really depends.I just personally don't rhinkbitbworth paying thst much extra for the ibuprofen & codeine when you can do the same process with the paracetamol version and it should come out just fine. Boots and Superdrug are generally the mist expensive at No prices and the smaller family chemists are generally cheaper IME.As far as buying online goes, I imagine thst once you factor in postage and packing it would be MORE expensive rather than less.

If you ever have any questions whatsoever about CWEs including snjy photos etc. of what you're doing feel free to PM me and I'll try my best too help.

Thanks, Backfromthebrink

I've done the CWE a few times and haven't had much success but I'm going to keep trying. I keep a record of how many pills I use, how much water etc to see what the most effective method is

I'll keep you updated on this thread and perhaps post some photos

so you don't agree with using warm water to dissolve the pills?

Thanks, Backfromthebrink

I've done the CWE a few times and haven't had much success but I'm going to keep trying. I keep a record of how many pills I use, how much water etc to see what the most effective method is

I'll keep you updated on this thread and perhaps post some photos

so you don't agree with using warm water to dissolve the pills?

It really depends on how much time you have. The pills will break up and the codeine in them dissolve just fine in cold water but it takes a little bit longer. If you use warm water they should break up a bit quicker but then you have to cool the water again. What you could do is dissolve the pills in warm water and filter the solution while it's still not warm. Then take the water that you have that's passed through the filter and THEN cool it with some ice cubes and re-filter to catch the paracetamol thats in yoyr solution. Cooling with ice will force the dissolved paracetamol out of the solution . Because most of the fller gunk isn't present this time it will pass through the filter in just a few minutes.

I've always found the process really easy and therefore am puzzled as to what isn't working for you. Maybe if you told me step by step what you were doing and what you ended up with then maybe I could be of more help. As a paramedic I shouldn't be encouraging people to do CWEs but the way I see it is you are going to try it anyway so any help I can give to make sure you get rid of all the paracetamol or ibuprofen I should give in the name of harm reduction.

I'll be glad to help you.

it's possible I'm not using enough Codeine yet. I'm starting out with relatively small doses (8 pills - about 100mg of Codeine) because I think it's safer to start small as I don't know how it will affect me

I will gradually increase the dose. I'll try a couple more and then post a step-by-step list of what I'm doing exactly