Bluelight

Thread: Needle Point Broke Off in arm.. PLEASE HELP ME

1. Collapse Details
    Needle Point Broke Off in arm.. PLEASE HELP ME 
    i feel like such an idiot..i used to be a big heroin addict.. and i stopped doing that and finally got down to an occasional suboxone when i have a craving.. but for some stupid reason i got some roxies tonight and decided to shoot them.. ive done this plenty of times i never thought i would mess up and break a tip in my arm

what happened was i had 3 pills mixed up with alot of water as to not clog the needle. i did 2 shots. and on the 3rd one i couldnt hit the vein. its just been a long time i suppose and i could not find the vein at all.. and as i was fishin around for it it cracked off and got lost in my arm. i shot it right on the inside of my elbow. and its gone.. i need advise . lets just say a hospital is absolutely not an option. ill lose everything if my parents find out im using again. beleive me ive learned my lesson im NEVER shooting anything ever again..

but what should i do?? i sterilized some razor blades and cut a little portion of my existing scar to see if it would pop up but i found nothing.. im almost certain it isnt inside a vein cuz i was having trouble getting in. but i need to know if its likely that it will eventually go in and maybe travel somewhere else??? or if maybe my body will push it out like a splinter.. please help im afraid im going to die or something

i need ALL options before i go to a hospital i dont care how crazy they are please help me

2. Collapse Details

You absolutely can't see a doctor?

OK... doing a quick google search and finding other posts on other forums from people who have had similar experiences and actually gone to the doctor, apparently they had been advised to just leave it. Surgery to try and get it is too invasive for such a small object, and it is very likely that tissue will form around the needle point, keep it there and it may even eventually work it's way out.

I assume you were being fairly hygienic with your IV practices?

3. Collapse Details

ive seen almost this exact same question before here on bluelight.

you got a little piece of metal stuck in your arm? how long ago?

the unicorns and rainbows answer is immediately seek medical attention.
    but,

if it doesn't hurt, fuck it.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blonde View Post
    You absolutely can't see a doctor?

OK... doing a quick google search and finding other posts on other forums from people who have had similar experiences and actually gone to the doctor, apparently they had been advised to just leave it. Surgery to try and get it is too invasive for such a small object, and it is very likely that tissue will form around the needle point, keep it there and it may even eventually work it's way out.

I assume you were being fairly hygienic with your IV practices?
    This.

Haven't you ever gotten a deep splinter in your finger before? They work themselves out of your skin over time.

Granted, a needle tip can end up pretty deep if you're fishing for a vein. But as long as it's in the tissue and not lodged in one of your veins, I'm sure you'll be fine. If a tiny piece of metal broke off in one of your veins then I'm sure your body would have let you know within several seconds of it happening and it wouldn't have been pretty.

It's probably just comfortably lodged in your tissue and will work itself out over time. No need to freak out (although it's understandable if you do, I sure as hell would, lol).

Keep an eye on the spot where it happened for a while and if you notice it getting more and more sore and/or infected (like an abscess) then get yourself to a doctor pronto.

5. Collapse Details

well as of right now it doesnt hurt at all but thats probably because im very high right now.. i even tryed cutting it out and that doesnt really hurt.. its a combination of it just being very numb from years of scarring due to shooting there.. the pain isnt whats worrying me.. its just on the inside of my elbow. im worried that it might one day shift and enter a vien. is that likely??

oh and as for hygeine i never used to needle before this and when i was cutting it i sterilized a brand new razor blade and used alot of peroxide and ran it under warm water during the whole process.. im not worried about it getting infected from that..

i just dont want it getting infected just for the simple fact that its a foreign object in my body..

does anyone think it could shift and start moving down a vein? im not too active to be honest but like i said its in the inside of my elbow and that does alot of moving.

oh and a doctor or hospital is absolutely the last thing i can do. im 22 but i have no insurance and it would be very difficult for me to sneak this past my parents.. if they find out i was using again im getting kicked out no questions asked. so id rather be in any amount of pain then homeless... please help me with more suggestions or assessments becuase im extremely scared for my arm/ life right now.. as stupid as that seems

6. Collapse Details

ill post again in the morning about pain and how its healing. thank you everyone for helping. i feel like a complete idiot. this is what i get for shooting something up after almost 2 years of only suboxone use.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eon_blue View Post
    This.

Haven't you ever gotten a deep splinter in your finger before? They work themselves out of your skin over time.

Granted, a needle tip can end up pretty deep if you're fishing for a vein. But as long as it's in the tissue and not lodged in one of your veins, I'm sure you'll be fine. If a tiny piece of metal broke off in one of your veins then I'm sure your body would have let you know within several seconds of it happening and it wouldn't have been pretty.

It's probably just comfortably lodged in your tissue and will work itself out over time. No need to freak out (although it's understandable if you do, I sure as hell would, lol).

Keep an eye on the spot where it happened for a while and if you notice it getting more and more sore and/or infected (like an abscess) then get yourself to a doctor pronto.
    yes it doesnt seem to deep.. in fact when i first went to cut it out it looked like i could see the tip of it but it got lost when i went to pull it out.
    and ive had infections from missing veins with heroin in the past and the hospital i went to just told me to leave it alone.. so i ended up doing something similar. by sterilizing my own scalpol and cutting out big disgusting blobs of puss and infection. my main concern is it shifting and hitting a vein and either cause bleeding or travel down the vein. but like i said it does seem to be kind of shallow i wasnt pressing too hard down when it broke off

8. Collapse Details

Just find a free clinic, they are usually no questions asked. Leave all your ID at home (or in the parked car) so there is no way they can get you.

Its worth a shot. Worst thing that can happen is they refuse to treat you, which I think is unlikely.

Or find a local needle exchange, go there, and ask them. When I look up needle exchanges in my area, there is usually a phone number associated with it. Call the number, explain your situation and see what they recommend. I bet you'll find an answer and get fixed up no worries.

9. Collapse Details

but did your friend have it very close to a vein or was it in the muscle.. the only reason im trying to get it out is because im worried about it shifting and hitting a vein.

10. Collapse Details

oh and theres still no pain and no infection

11. Collapse Details

You dont know, I could be anyone, anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by timrep renreal View Post
    oh and theres still no pain and no infection
    Then stop messing with it, if you keep cutting at your arms you are going to have scars and all kinds of problems.

Your best bet is to just let it go or try and find a free clinic.

12. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Support
    Here is a similar thread that you may find more answers in.

13. Collapse Details

Please, DO NOT try to cut into your arm or anything like that. You will just make it worse by increasing your chance of infection and might actually encourage it to go deeper and cause more harm.

You can read all the online posts and articles you want, but the bottom line is you need to see a doctor to assess YOUR individual situation. It sucks, but these are the risks we all take when using.

14. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    be careful if you ever get an MRI done.

15. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    Dude. You need to learn how to IV properly. The needle should never break off in your arm EVER. Frankly, unless you hit bone with it or you're using a really really shitty needle, I don't understand how it's possible. If you couldn't hit the vein the third time, why didn't you pull out and try the other arm or your leg or something?

16. Collapse Details

^ for that reason alone (MRI), it's worth seeing a doctor.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeceased View Post
    Dude. You need to learn how to IV properly. The needle should never break off in your arm EVER. Frankly, unless you hit bone with it or you're using a really really shitty needle, I don't understand how it's possible. If you couldn't hit the vein the third time, why didn't you pull out and try the other arm or your leg or something?
    Its not completely clear, but it sounds like he was using the same needle for the third time. They get progressively more dull with each use, and this can put additional stress on the needle.

18. Collapse Details

to the guy that is telling me i have to learn how to do it properly... no i dont .. i used to do this every day .. and this was the first time in years that i tryed it this way.. i dont need to learn how to do it cuz im never doing drugs this way again..

and as for the mri. doctors are well aware of my drug use.. if i need an mri ill just tell them that i may have a peice of metal in me.. i think a good solution to just in case im not able to tell them is to tell my mother that i got a sewing needle splinter.. she wont ask questions cuz that was already the excuse i gave her for needing tweezers last night.. i think im going to be fine.. my cut it healing fine. i doubt the scar is going to be any worse than the mess of track marks i already had. and i dont feel any pain or anything so i guess its stayin there.. thanks people

19. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    co-sign on the howard hughes comment. i do think he had like hepatitis but....no biggie. im really sorry you had to go through this. i always feared what if something like that happened to me. ive used them over and over sometimes, and i never wanna go back to doing that. be more careful if there ever is a next time, and just pretend you got implanted with a drug emitting device....or dont. feel better.

im sure this little sitch really knockeed your high down abit didnt it

20. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    to the guy that is telling me i have to learn how to do it properly... no i dont .. i used to do this every day
    Its not completely clear, but it sounds like he was using the same needle for the third time. They get progressively more dull with each use, and this can put additional stress on the needle.
    Yeah sorry it wasn't clear. It also sounded like he was fishing around for the vein for a while rather than trying elsewhere. Did you hit the same vein three times? With the same needle?

21. Collapse Details

I'm also part of the crowd who doesn't see how its possible to break a needle off into your arm, no matter how many times you've used it. Fuck, when I've had to rip the needle out on purpose with a pair of pliers it takes a lot of effort and I'm a strong guy! By accident? I just don't see how.

And no offense, I don't care if its not hurting now and "seems fine," anyone wiling to walk around and go through life knowing you have a broken needle wandering around in your body is an idiot. Seriously, you've got to lack common sense to go even one more day without at least making an attempt to visit a free clinic.

We all understand not wanting to walk into an ER or visit a doctor and admit drug abuse, but when you've got a needle in your fucking arm and there is at least a chance that a clinic will remove it no questions asked, you seriously lack common sense if you don't even make the attempt to get it taken care of.

But then again when you say stuff like "well cuz If I have to I'll tell my mom I like got a sewing needle splinter cuz like anyone would believe that" I think you've pretty much laid your cards on the table.

If anyone reading this has actually managed to defy all odds of probability and really actually somehow managed to break off a hypodermic needle in their arm, it IS NOT OK TO JUST LEAVE IT THERE, no matter what this or any other dummy says in an Internet forum. GO AND GET IT TAKEN CARE OF. Even if you have to drive 100 miles to a free clinic, do it.

Don't want anyone to find out? Fine. Muster up enough brain power to make some calls or search online to figure out what a person in your situation can do. Just calling a free clinic and asking a few questions will help you get it sorted. Can't find a free clinic? Find the nearest needle exchange and either call them or just go to it, explain the problem and see what they say.

Want to make sure no one finds out it's you? Then just leave your ID at home. If you're paranoid and think someone is going to demand to see ID then ha ha you don't even have it on you! And don't worry, absolutely no one at a clinic or needle ex is going to talk to the cops. They are on YOUR side and want to see you safe and healthy, ok?

Now go get better!
    Last edited by Cane2theLeft; 11-01-2011 at 18:32. Reason: a bit harsh - great points though!

22. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    for a forum that claims to be all about HARM REDUCTION, a lot of these replies are complete bullshit. "if it doesn't hurt it's okay" is NOT true. There is no way for you to know there is no infection after waiting a couple hours. Trying to lance it out yourself is stupid, not only do you increase your risk of abscess but if just a small bit of infection gets into your blood stream you can go downhill very quickly -- sepsis is not a fast nor painless way to die, it's very slow and agonizing even in a hospital setting. I cant believe some people are advising you to wait and see what happens. Chances are your body will not push it out. I hope you know where you were hitting, away from nerves and arteries -- veins should be the last of your worries. A needle tip wont get sucked into a vein and go through your circulatory system. But if it punctures an artery, yes, you could bleed out internally -- the pressure could also collapse other veins and destroy tissue. Call your local Needle Exchange and free clinics. Go to the hospital and use a fake name if you have to, by law they MUST treat you -- they cannot turn you away! Don't be afraid, you WONT get in trouble! The hospital will NOT call your parents, guardians, police, teachers etc and tell them what happened, if they do you can sue them for a fat check. Think about it OP. Is your health really worth it?? The longer you wait, the worse it can end up...Please please call a hospital or free clinic and ask them for their advice

23. Collapse Details

Wow, this makes my legs weak. Oh, and see a doctor. Just cause other people have had this happen with no problems doesn't mean you will.

24. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    OP, you sound like s child. You would rather have a USED needle in your arm than tell mommy? I don't care if you think you know what you're doing, if you broke a syringe in your own arm, you're are clueless. You may feel like an idiot because you are one.

Go to a clinic, and stop doing drugs. Clearly you've screwed up a lot in the past if your parents are on the verge of kicking you out, and now this? Take a fuckin hint

25. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tarStar View Post
    for a forum that claims to be all about HARM REDUCTION, a lot of these replies are complete bullshit. "if it doesn't hurt it's okay" is NOT true. There is no way for you to know there is no infection after waiting a couple hours. Trying to lance it out yourself is stupid, not only do you increase your risk of abscess but if just a small bit of infection gets into your blood stream you can go downhill very quickly -- sepsis is not a fast nor painless way to die, it's very slow and agonizing even in a hospital setting. I cant believe some people are advising you to wait and see what happens. Chances are your body will not push it out. I hope you know where you were hitting, away from nerves and arteries -- veins should be the last of your worries. A needle tip wont get sucked into a vein and go through your circulatory system. But if it punctures an artery, yes, you could bleed out internally -- the pressure could also collapse other veins and destroy tissue. Call your local Needle Exchange and free clinics. Go to the hospital and use a fake name if you have to, by law they MUST treat you -- they cannot turn you away! Don't be afraid, you WONT get in trouble! The hospital will NOT call your parents, guardians, police, teachers etc and tell them what happened, if they do you can sue them for a fat check. Think about it OP. Is your health really worth it?? The longer you wait, the worse it can end up...Please please call a hospital or free clinic and ask them for their advice
    Quote Originally Posted by greenberryhaze View Post
    Wow, this makes my legs weak. Oh, and see a doctor. Just cause other people have had this happen with no problems doesn't mean you will.
    These.

You need to see a medical professional and leaving this thread open will just encourage you not to.

EDIT:

I unapproved several posts that promoted harm.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST people, just because you or someone you heard about didn't die or have extremely evident medical problems due to this happening, does not mean someone should not get checked out by a medical professional. Thank god we have people like tarstar and john burrows around to bring some fucking sense to this shit.
    Last edited by Cane2theLeft; 11-01-2011 at 18:30.