• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2011-12 college football thread! part 1 ver. WHERE IS SMOTPOKER??

Status
Not open for further replies.
ehhhhh... I'm not going to bother going through the records to dispute your comment, just observe that liberal media and the rest are right: if you aren't a NFL style quarterback-- somebody with a cannon for an arm who can read defenses and stand up in a pocket-- your draft stock is going to be affected. Tim Tebow was unbeatable in a college pffense because the players are relatively undersized, and the spread allows for more scrambling. He went 25th in spite of his college career, and is never going to set the world on fire in denver. Mike Vick was a dud in atlanta, and was a big part of why the eagles were one and done this year.

You're making me and the rest of us who are from the South and have more nuanced and considered perspectives look like obnoxious hicks, so please knock it off.

ehhhhh... I'm not going to bother going through the records to dispute your comment, just observe that liberal media and the rest are right: if you aren't a NFL style quarterback-- somebody with a cannon for an arm who can read defenses and stand up in a pocket-- your draft stock is going to be affected. Tim Tebow was unbeatable in a college pffense because the players are relatively undersized, and the spread allows for more scrambling. He went 25th in spite of his college career, and is never going to set the world on fire in denver. Mike Vick was a dud in atlanta, and was a big part of why the eagles were one and done this year.

You're making me and the rest of us who are from the South and have more nuanced and considered perspectives look like obnoxious hicks, so please knock it off.

I wouldn't call Vick a dud exactly, he got us to the postseaon several times and he just did the same in Philly and was the highest rated NFL QB this year, and for you to insinuate that I am not an intellectually and obnoxious hick is pretty fucking narcissistic in my book, I live not far from you, perhaps we can discuss this sometime considering I live in Oakhurst which is I dunno half a mile from East Atlanta?

Last I saw Mel Kiper had Newton going 1st round around 10-15 pick. Personally I think Newton can be an NFL QB he has prototypical size and a good arm. Whether he can read a defence or stand in the pocket is a big question. I would draft him if it turns out he cant play QB at the next level make him a tight end or reciever. At 6'6 250 and 4.4 speed he is going to be a differce maker at the next level IMO.

and for you to insinuate that I am not an intellectually and obnoxious hick is pretty fucking narcissistic in my book, I live not far from you, perhaps we can discuss this sometime considering I live in Oakhurst which is I dunno half a mile from East Atlanta?

lol that doesn't even make any sense. but everyone knows you are a cop, why would anyone meet up with you? 8)

lol another person who obviously doesnt know SEC football, im not going to argue but if you think THE HEISMAN WINNER wont go top 5 , YOU DONT KNOW FOOTBALL AND THEREFORE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT. =D

I might hate the SEC, but I do respect it and watch it. I have admitted throughout the season that they have played the best football, I just don't think they've been as impressive as they once were. hence the National Title game where Oregon's game speed on defense was matched with that "brutal SEC speed." but you probably don't realize these things...

are you really that thick to think that a Heisman winner automatically goes to the top 5?

Jesus Christ man, you are so wrong. Cam Newton is great, but so was Tim Tebow. did Tebow go in the top 5? the only reason he went into the first round was because Josh McDaniels was a fool, completely ruined the Denver Broncos organization, and traded up for Tebow foolishly

Cam Newton has a lot of work to do to be a pro quarterback. his passing game is simply not there, or did you not watch the BCS Title Game where he threw mad interceptions?

and I don't know football? I'm not going to sink to the level of a guy who just started posting in this forum and is spouting off nonsense to everyone. but I've been watching and analyzing football for most of my life, even played in college

if we watched a game together, I doubt you would even know what the safety does and whether what he is doing means that the coverage is in zone or in man-to-man. but now, I am just being pretentious ;)

but c'mon - Heisman winners being guaranteed the Top 5? son, you need to do a little more watching the footbaw before I can really speak to you. another example for my team, Troy Smith was a little less mobile than Cam Newton, but unarguably had a far better passing attack. it looks like he now finally getting his chance in the NFL, and despite him being a Heisman winner he went a couple rounds before being drafted. sure, he doesn't have the size and most importantly the height of Newton - but like I said, his passing attack has to be at least 10 times better than Cam's

lolwut?

NSFW:
Ohio_State_Beer_Run.jpg

found this on a Michigan message board back in the day... I have no idea what is going on

mallet has a future, if i was carolina, I'd pick him up before fairley any day.

for sure. he is such an NFL ready QB. he has a cannon arm. he might not have been the most successful SEC QB this year, but he has the most promising future. honestly, I was shaking in my boots when I found out that tOSU was against him in the Sugar Bowl

I mean shit did you see some of those of those passes he made in the Sugar Bowl?

or lol - those passes he shoulda made?

^ one could tell it was the first Arkansas BCS bowl game ever played, unlike the BCS-tested Buckeyes

they musta been hearing the footsteps of Chimdi Chekwa, the premier CB of tOSU

... but wait... he got injured in the 2nd quarter...

so what were they hearing, exactly? I do feel bad for Mallet, he should have been in the game more than Arkansas even was

trying to talk to someone from California about college football is like trying to teach a crackhead how to become an astronaut. Heisman winners NEVER, EVER, EVER go 2nd round dude, wake up, Newton played in the SEC, which means he is damn near NFL level, Auburn could beat some pro teams prob and because he had one game where he wasnt superman it was ok, he only threw 1 interception and he had 300 yds and WON THE GAME, what else does he have to do?

LOL, lots are late rd FA types
Crouch and Toretta, and both were QB's.
Jason White? Chris Weinke?Ty Detmer , Danny weurfel?
Need I go on?

Its nothing to do with his level of competition, its that he is in an offense where he doesnt have to go through progressions, to an extent the same can be said of Gabbert , but his is a far better pro arm , and a release that is far quicker, and that is not just my opinion its the opinion of lots of scouts.

When he sits down with scouts before the draft, he will have to look at gamefilm where he will be unable to answer a lot of questions , simply because this is not applicable to the offense he was running, this will give scouts plenty of time to anylise his football smarts, as he will have to be prepared for this.

His potential doesnt Compare to a guy like locker who has all the mechanics for the NFL,and actually reminds me and many others of Aaron Rodgers, his release is fast( not as fast as Gabberts)
His footwork is excellent, and most importantly he has played in a Pro Offense for 4years.

Sorry dude but Cam ,as I said before may be a first rounder, but he wont be the Best QB from this class.

Last edited:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

The Latest Walterfootball 4 round mock Mock was updated today(usually well respected) have Gabbert as the first QB picked at #10.

They have Cam at #12 to the Vikes , with this caveat .....

"The Cam Newton Hype Train isn't running on full speed anymore, as the Co-National Championship exposed some of Newton's flaws to the viewing public on a national stage. There's still a good chance he'll be taken in the middle of the first round because of his upside, leadership and intangibles, but it's quite evident Newton is not ready to play in the NFL just yet."

They have Locker going #15 overall, and those are the only 3 first rounders.

I am not sold on Mallet, rumors abound about his work ethic and ability to pickup a pro playbook. They have him going #38 overall .... walterfootball seem to share some of the same concerns...

"Mallett has major red flags. In addition to these "off-field concerns," he's a moron who may score single digits on his Wonderlic (even if they give him five points for spelling his name correctly). His release is painfully slow (think Byron Leftwich). He has no mobility. And he has the same sense of entitlement as Matt Leinart and Jimmy Clausen"

In many ways it could be a great QB class, but could just as easiliy be a dud, al 4 of these guys will need help and great QB coaching to be considered guys who will still be starting in 3 or 4 years.

this is allsum on so many fucking levels.

it's too much of a layup to even make fun of.

cheers to you state of alabama. please don't ever change.

http://www2.oanow.com/news/2011/jan/12/coaches-trophy-be-displayed-area-walmarts-ar-1334978/

Coaches' Trophy to be displayed at area Walmart locations

The Coaches' Trophy.

See the Coaches’ Trophy

Where: Walmart store 4407; 10710 Chantilly Parkway in Montgomery
When: 3 to 7 p.m. Friday
More information: 334-272-7377

Where: Walmart store 1311; 5448 Whittlesey Blvd. in Columbus, Ga.
When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (EST) Saturday
More information: 706-322-8801

Where: Walmart store 356; 1717 S. College St. in Auburn
When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday
More information: 334-821-2493

View more By Chris Anthony
Published: January 12, 2011
» 5 Comments | Post a Comment
vote
nowBuzz up!Even if you weren’t one of the fortunate few to witness Auburn’s BCS National Championship victory firsthand, there’s still an opportunity to see the fruit of the Tigers’ labor up close.

Starting Friday, the Coaches’ Trophy will be on display at area Walmart locations for thousands of Tiger faithful to enjoy. Fans will also have the opportunity to get a free picture with the crystal football.

Jerrod Woodham, a shift manager at the Auburn Walmart, said he expects about a thousand Tiger fans to show up Sunday when the trophy comes to Auburn.

“You’d think the fan base would really come out,” he said.

Woodham said the trophy, which will be set up near the store’s apparel section, will be closely guarded by Walmart’s loss-prevention personnel. He said the store is also working on securing the services of local police officers for the event.

While the trophy will enjoy a blanket of protection when it’s on display, it will also be in good hands while it’s in transit.

“It’s in a very safe traveling case,” said Charley Green, trophy manager for BreakAway Sports Marketing. “We’ve never had a problem with it being shipped or flown around. We’ll make it sure gets back to Auburn in great condition.”

The 45-pound, 34-inch trophy — valued at $30,000 — is the same one that was hoisted by head coach Gene Chizik and the Auburn players following Monday’s 22-19 victory over Oregon. A new trophy is made for the winning team each year.

Auburn University spokesman Bob Grant said he wasn’t sure when the school would receive the trophy. However, Green said it would be on its way home after Sunday’s Walmart visit.

“It’ll probably be in their hands by Monday,” he said.

WAR DAYUM POSSUM!!!!!

Redneck_AU_fan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.