• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2011-12 college football thread! part 1 ver. WHERE IS SMOTPOKER??

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I am not a fan of revisionist history. I believe in putting programs on major probation, maybe even the "death penalty" if the infractions are repeated during probation, but I hate the idea of taking away national titles. Every program has some dirt on it, some more than others, but you cannot take away something that has already happened.

that won't happen ever again.

that won't happen ever again.

I know the "death penalty" won't happen again. I'm just saying that I would rather support that than revisionist history.

Shit, how many titles would the likes of Alabama and Miami have lost had this policy of "academic ineligibility" been instituted much earlier? It is totally unfair to do to programs and fans. Guess what? This year didn't exist. The Reggie Bush years essentially didn't exist from a national title perspective. It is a horrible policy, and needs to go away in favor of stronger probation.

And the only reason the "death penalty" will never happen again is due to money. What would happen if LSU, Texas, Miami, Florida, FSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, etc... all got the death penalty for NCAA violations? The NCAA would lose a fuckload of money. Nobody would watch the games. Nobody would care. College football would go the way of the dinosaur.

Of course they did it to SMU, and they will forever regret it. They had a rabid fanbase, with deep pockets to buy season tickets and lots of television viewers. They threw all that money away. Now SMU is a nothing program, when it could have been something. The NCAA is always harsher on up-and-comers than it is on the good old boys. As they were talking about in that documentary, Texas, TCE, shit, even Baylor was doing the same, exact, motherfucking, thing. But they got off on minor probation, while the new kid on the block got fucked in the ass permanently.

every one says the officiating crew did a good job? fairley was facemasking everyone without getting called.. he should've been ejected.. blatantly personal-fouling everyone. also, Cliff harris caught an interception (his second of the night) that he was called out of bounds for even though he got a foot and hand in before he and the ball even went out. (so technically cam should've had 2 int)

oh yeah, and one play that would've changed the outcome of the game.. Dyer was SOOO DOWN when he got back up and ran. He thought he was down, the ducks thought he was down, and his blockers thought he was down, until one of his coaches motioned him to keep running just in case.

bullshit.

just look at the stats
Darron Thomas 27/40 67.5% 363yds 2td 2int
Cam Newton 20/34 58.8% 265yds 2td 1int (actually 2 int)

yeah, they shut down our running game, but we shut down cam all over the place, sacking him quite a few times.

every one says the officiating crew did a good job? fairley was facemasking everyone without getting called.. he should've been ejected.. blatantly personal-fouling everyone.

I think i asked for video of one of these uncalled hits earlier. I'm asking again-- or am I asking for the first time. He did the same thing to my team. He really is a nasty guy--but every time he does it (that I've seen) he gets a flag for it because he doesn't try to hide it. Don't be mad just because he can do stuff like this to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3-nw_ua8jI&feature=related

oh yeah, and one play that would've changed the outcome of the game.. Dyer was SOOO DOWN when he got back up and ran. He thought he was down, the ducks thought he was down, and his blockers thought he was down, until one of his coaches motioned him to keep running just in case.
So everybody thought he was down... except the officiating crew, who never whistled the play dead-- and in the instant replay, its clear his knee never goes down-- so whatever. Its unlucky for Oregon, its unlikely too, but Aurburn was still in FG range even at the point of contact, so it changes very little. Do you think Chip Kelly will coach his defense to make sure to finish tackles in the future, or what?

Cliff harris caught an interception (his second of the night) that he was called out of bounds for even though he got a foot and hand in before he and the ball even went out. (so technically cam should've had 2 int)
I can't find video of this, but I remember it, and I'm calling your bullshit. He was airborn, and landed out of bounds. It would have been a great INT if the play had happened a yard to the left... it didn't though.
NSFW:
2011-January-10-21-25-20.jpeg

just look at the stats

yeah, they shut down our running game, but we shut down cam all over the place, sacking him quite a few times.

Sure did-- Oregon's average before last night was over 300, and they were held to 75. If the game could be won by who stopped whose quarterback-- you'd have won. Fortunately, they still go by points scored. DT's numbers mean fuckall if you leave the redzone empty handed.

every one says the officiating crew did a good job? fairley was facemasking everyone without getting called.. he should've been ejected.. blatantly personal-fouling everyone. also, Cliff harris caught an interception (his second of the night) that he was called out of bounds for even though he got a foot and hand in before he and the ball even went out. (so technically cam should've had 2 int)

bullshit.

just look at the stats

As a fan of a team that legitimately got fucked out of an NC by the refs (on several occasions, really) I have to say to shut the fuck up. The refs were totally fair and right on the money.

And hey, Oregon, fucking Oregon, played in an NC. With USC all fucked up and Stanford losing its NFL caliber coach, you guys will be the class of the PAC-12 for years now. After playing in an NC, your propensity for nabbing top quality talent goes up, and you won't have to play with defensive tackles that look like they are about 230lbs.

Anyways, Axl should be happy to know that Denard "the tard" Robinson is transferring out of Michigan.

do you think he'll bounce? I don't know much about this new UM coach, but he does seem defensive-minded. and this means that the Maize and Blue most likely won't be running the spread (which they shouldn't), which means that "the Retard' should go elsewhere

I was LOLing during the BCS Title Game when Brad Nessler kept on talking about Cam's dad. I just imagined Cam's Dad at some bar shouting "they talkin' bout me!"

Clay Matthew's brother looked okay, but then he had a great game after that strip. people are saying he will go late 1st round or maybe 2nd round - and although I think Matthews Jr will be bumped to the safety position due to his lack of size, I would LOVE to see him in Black and Yellow

I do think a lot of teams could have beaten Oregon... Panda Bear said maybe 10? I am inclined to agree with him...

What a terrible game, both offenses looked like crap.

2 things

Fairley is a dirty SOB
Newton is not a first rounder,some of those throws were so innacurate they were almost Jamarcus-esque.

you apparently didnt watch Newton all season, he won the Heisman for a reason, both teams offense was just rusty, Auburn had not played in over A MONTH =D HE WILL GO TOP 5

you apparently didnt watch Newton all season, he won the Heisman for a reason, both teams offense was just rusty, Auburn had not played in over A MONTH =D HE WILL GO TOP 5

Where did I equate his Heisman success to his draftboard location?

Ever hear of Eric Crouch , Gino Toretta etc etc.

Newton may end up being a first rounder, but he may not be half the pro guys like Gabbert, Locker, Devlin,Ponder etc may be.
Did you see some of his throws? he may have been "rusty" as you put it, but so were the defenders he was facing. His accuracy was downright laughable at times.

The guy owes gazilions to Andrew Luck, if he hadnt stayed in school, Newtons stock would have plummeted, as nobody but Zona @ pick #5 would have considered him, especially as they could have gotten him at the same pick in round 2.

top 5? I don't know where you are coming off trying to be Mel Kiper Jr, but did YOU even watch the game? I knew Oregon's Darren Thomas couldn't pass worth a shit, but Auburn's Cam Newton looked just as bad as him passing the ball

Cam might have gotten some nice passing stats, but his pocket passing abilities, his release, and his spiral techniques all looked laughable at best when compared to what an NFL QB needs to bring to the table

Cam is an athlete, but he is just another SEC QB who plays in a system that hardly translates well in NFL play. the only way I can see him gone to a team that will use him best at QB is if the Philadelphia Eagles draft him as a back-up under Michael Vick, and work with him within the system (then of course, they would trade Kevin Kolb)

anybody see the new Michigan Wolverine press conference to where the new coach almost cried?! what a joke, I could never see Jim Tressel acting so funny-funny

Where did I equate his Heisman success to his draftboard location?

Ever hear of Eric Crouch , Gino Toretta etc etc.

Newton may end up being a first rounder, but he may not be half the pro guys like Gabbert, Locker, Devlin,Ponder etc may be.
Did you see some of his throws? he may have been "rusty" as you put it, but so were the defenders he was facing. His accuracy was downright laughable at times.

The guy owes gazilions to Andrew Luck, if he hadnt stayed in school, Newtons stock would have plummeted, as nobody but Zona @ pick #5 would have considered him, especially as they could have gotten him at the same pick in round 2.

trying to talk to someone from California about college football is like trying to teach a crackhead how to become an astronaut. Heisman winners NEVER, EVER, EVER go 2nd round dude, wake up, Newton played in the SEC, which means he is damn near NFL level, Auburn could beat some pro teams prob and because he had one game where he wasnt superman it was ok, he only threw 1 interception and he had 300 yds and WON THE GAME, what else does he have to do?

top 5? I don't know where you are coming off trying to be Mel Kiper Jr, but did YOU even watch the game? I knew Oregon's Darren Thomas couldn't pass worth a shit, but Auburn's Cam Newton looked just as bad as him passing the ball

Cam might have gotten some nice passing stats, but his pocket passing abilities, his release, and his spiral techniques all looked laughable at best when compared to what an NFL QB needs to bring to the table

Cam is an athlete, but he is just another SEC QB who plays in a system that hardly translates well in NFL play. the only way I can see him gone to a team that will use him best at QB is if the Philadelphia Eagles draft him as a back-up under Michael Vick, and work with him within the system (then of course, they would trade Kevin Kolb)

lol another person who obviously doesnt know SEC football, im not going to argue but if you think THE HEISMAN WINNER wont go top 5 , YOU DONT KNOW FOOTBALL AND THEREFORE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT. =D

=DOH AXL sorry i just figured out u were an Ohio St fan, no wonder you hate the SEC hahahahaha 5 straight, war eagle, by the way im AUBURN ALUM =D

Status
Not open for further replies.