• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Loss of sensation in hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doppelganga196

Bluelighter
I think it may have something to do with the pot i've been smoking, but it has occured sober too; my hands too numb to grip, i can type but actual sensation is like pins/needles or goosebumps instead. Rubbing my hand on my jeans is also unusual.

This has rarely happened to me in a decade of marijuana smoking. I can barely pull my trousers up as my fingers cant/wont grip properly. It comes & dissipates.

Anybody had a case of this? I use opiates too so i posted in od but please move to cannabis discussion if appropriate.

p.s anybody think something like a b vitamin injection might help?

Last edited:
You're an IV drug user. Don't blame the pot.

Don't shoot up vitamin B.

See a doctor if this doesn't improve.

maybe your hands fell asleep? maybe bad circulation? sounds like a question you should be asking your doctor

I know with all the medications I take at night (I don't IV btw), sometimes I fall asleep on my hand(s) and they're all numb when I wake up during the night.

I have to shake them for the circulation to recover. Thank god at least I wake up in time. I have to be careful.

from my perspective - it sounds as if the ulnar nerve is damaged .
it can take a lot of abuse over a lot of time but the tingling and the failure of muscles in the hand gets progressively worse .

if it persists you will have to have a nerve conductivity test performed . that locates precisely where the nerve or nerves are damaged . surgery to follow .

i cut my wrists and throat with a serrated knife in june of '07 and needed 21 stitches (7 on each wrist and 7 on my neck) don't flame me about it, i know it is selfish and would be horrible for my kids blah blah ive heard it all a million times since everyone who see's me knows since i have huge scars in all 3 areas.

But i have no feeling in my right pinky finger but i have all movement and can do everything i used to do. It would suck to have that numb dead feeling throughout my whole hand. I don't think you would like it to be permanent.. Deff see a doctor about what's going on with you.

Hey Doppelganga, I used to get this exact same thing a while back and I think it is cannabis related. When I was getting this tingling feeling, the only substances I was using were alcohol and cannabis; no history of anything IV/IM. Though I can see why people have made the link from needle use to the nervous system.

I've posted on Cannabis Discussion (about 4 years ago, post has since been purged) about this and nobody could really explain it. It's such a bizarre feeling, I remember getting it first whilst heavily stoned for the first time. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to occur when I've had a really long break from weed and my tolerance is null.

At first I noticed that the only time it would come on was when I would be stoned and just kinda accepted it as an individual effect that I got. However, what concerned me was that it'd come on at random times even if I hadn't smoked weed in days prior. I would just be carrying out day to day activities like shopping and I would get a growing 'fizzing' tingling sensation. I considered at first that it may be could be anxiety related but when it occured I often would be relaxed and comfortable.

The feeling itself is probably best comparable to pins and needles type feeling. Weirdly enough, I find that soft fabrics feel so bizzare but solid metal objects, china or glass feel normal to the touch. Like you say Doppelganga, it is most prevalant when touching soft fabrics like clothing, bed sheets etc.

It's a really odd side effect of cannabis that it really quite undocumented, presumably as it effects such a tiny minority of users. I'm linking an erowid question from another person with the same complaint.

https://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=88

I personally find that cannabis has a strong physical effect on my muscles, I'm not sure if this is the same for you Doppelganga? I get a lot of twitching and weird little spasms. When I've been asleep after being stoned, people have noticed that as I slept, I would twitch my fingers one by one; from little finger to thumb then repeat. 8o

Like I say, I've only noticed this effect when I've taken a really long break from weed and even then it's never as strong as it was when I first started smoking. Hope this helps you!

I'd say it's more likely to just be a poor circulation issue than nerve damage.

OP do your hands feel cold often as well? Or do they turn blue or white while the tingling is occurring? Next time you get the numbness try doing a capillary refill test on your finger nails and see how it turns out. Also you should check your resting heart rate and blood pressure (doctor would be easiest for that and everything honestly).

Good luck!

Hey Doppelganga, I used to get this exact same thing a while back and I think it is cannabis related. When I was getting this tingling feeling, the only substances I was using were alcohol and cannabis; no history of anything IV/IM. Though I can see why people have made the link from needle use to the nervous system.

I've posted on Cannabis Discussion (about 4 years ago, post has since been purged) about this and nobody could really explain it. It's such a bizarre feeling, I remember getting it first whilst heavily stoned for the first time. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to occur when I've had a really long break from weed and my tolerance is null.

At first I noticed that the only time it would come on was when I would be stoned and just kinda accepted it as an individual effect that I got. However, what concerned me was that it'd come on at random times even if I hadn't smoked weed in days prior. I would just be carrying out day to day activities like shopping and I would get a growing 'fizzing' tingling sensation. I considered at first that it may be could be anxiety related but when it occured I often would be relaxed and comfortable.

The feeling itself is probably best comparable to pins and needles type feeling. Weirdly enough, I find that soft fabrics feel so bizzare but solid metal objects, china or glass feel normal to the touch. Like you say Doppelganga, it is most prevalant when touching soft fabrics like clothing, bed sheets etc.

It's a really odd side effect of cannabis that it really quite undocumented, presumably as it effects such a tiny minority of users. I'm linking an erowid question from another person with the same complaint.

https://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=88

I personally find that cannabis has a strong physical effect on my muscles, I'm not sure if this is the same for you Doppelganga? I get a lot of twitching and weird little spasms. When I've been asleep after being stoned, people have noticed that as I slept, I would twitch my fingers one by one; from little finger to thumb then repeat. 8o

Like I say, I've only noticed this effect when I've taken a really long break from weed and even then it's never as strong as it was when I first started smoking. Hope this helps you!

Thanks man, sounds like you know exactly what i mean. btw i've never iv'd anything either

I'm no doctor but it sounds to me like you're having bad circulation if you said it happens sober. I would call a doctor if it does not get better

I'd say it's more likely to just be a poor circulation issue than nerve damage.

OP do your hands feel cold often as well? Or do they turn blue or white while the tingling is occurring? Next time you get the numbness try doing a capillary refill test on your finger nails and see how it turns out. Also you should check your resting heart rate and blood pressure (doctor would be easiest for that and everything honestly).

Good luck!

I'm not contradicting the previous post re: cannabis intake, but all of your symptoms correlate with poor circulation. Perhaps due to smoking cigs or smoking weed frequently, ie. all day. Just something to consider.

Do you do intense aerobic exercise? If not, that's a great way to counteract these symptoms even if you keep smoking (if you do).

And just to confirm CaptH's post, B-12 is administered IV or IM. My dad (who has never used an illicit drug and has only drunk in moderation. He's 81) gets his B-12 shots at the hospital every month. Hands are too shaky to self-administer.

A monthly B-12 shot wouldn't be enough to cause the OPs condition anyway.

And just to confirm CaptH's post, B-12 is administered IV or IM. My dad (who has never used an illicit drug and has only drunk in moderation. He's 81) gets his B-12 shots at the hospital every month. Hands are too shaky to self-administer.

A monthly B-12 shot wouldn't be enough to cause the OPs condition anyway.

Are you sure he receives it IV?

Note: Cyanocobalamin should not be administered i.v.
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20R)/RUBRAMIN.html

It could be anything THB good luck though I am experiencing the exact same problem.

For the record, please do not bump your own posts.

I understand your reluctance to get people's feedback, opinions, experiences, etc. but just give it time. :)

I'm no expert but it sounds like the side effect of inhaling any sort of smoke on a regular basis as the carbon monoxide effects the amount of blood in your oxygen and circulation.

i had loss of sensation in a hand for almost a month once. But it has nothing to do with pot and if you think it does and you are a IV user you are retarded. Shit like that starts happening when you start losing circulation due to collapses in veins or inflammation among other things dont blame the pot.

i've had numb hands quite often, mostly my left and lately my right - it worries me a bit as a friend of the family had a series of minor strokes. I have a genetic cholesterol problem that I have fairly well managed but I just try to always have a blood thinner as well as a vasodilator every day. Unfortunately because statins dont work for me, eventually I will have an even larger chunk fly into my brain some day and die on the toilet like all my heroes. However, the numb hands seem to be partly a parietal glitch and partly veins that are constricted in the extremeties because the brain or lungs are demanding too much rich blood. Learning how to do yogic breathing is a must for anyone who does potential OD drugs, or is developing COPD - once you make it a habit and don't shoot drugs without salt added you will always have enough oxygen rich red blood cells. The main thing that ages and kills junkies, especially IV junkies is the fact that normal water destroys red blood cells as well as not getting enough sun in your eyes. 15 minutes wearing UV sunglasses (not the total sun blocker ones they make you use, or staring into a sunny sky for even 15 minutes a day (not AT the sun) will get those cells right loaded up again with b-12, oxygen and iron. I've tried many times to compare a b-12 injection and just eating healthy and getting sun, and the b-12 just made me jittery and then as fast as I got it back to normal. Its a whole downward cycle particularily with amphetamines and a vegetarian or pop and junk food diet because you need sun, you need iron and you really, really need FOOD sources of the amino acid building blocks to rejuvenate the dopamine receptor supplies. I'm sure everyone who has done amphetamines knows that point where it goes from being a pleasurable dopamine experience to being a terrifying norepinephrine fight or flight one, I know too many SWIM's who have very rapidly ended up in an isolation cell or police car after thinking "they" are coming because they tapped their adrenal glands out and their diet of pop and twinkies forced their body to start digesting muscle to try and get amino acids.

^ Thought that post might be a drunken rant without the paragraphs but it was in fact very apt & enjoyable.

Thank you ragemaxis. I was gonna say welcome to bluelight but i see you've been greenlighting for over 3 years now!

Status
Not open for further replies.