• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you tell your doctor you smoke pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I went to the doc over some severe anxiety back in 2008. He asked if i smoked anything illegal i just slowly shook my head saying no. He would without doubt have blamed my anxiety on the pot even tho it had nothing to do with it, & i imagine he would never have given me the short term sedatives which would have been awful.

I agree; I can't see any reason to tell your doc you enjoy toking, unless you're there specifically for a respiratory problem. It's just going to lead to a lower chance of being prescribed meds, due to perceived 'drug seeking' or some similarly-worded bullshit.

I always struggle with the 'do you smoke?' question. My usual answer is 'I don't smoke cigarettes', with subtle emphasis.

Its funny reading all of these posts like "DONT TELL THEM ITS NOT EVEN BAD FOR YOU THEYLL CALL THE DEA AND BUST YOUR ASS!!!!!". Smoking weed everyday is bad for you and I can just hear all the indignant responses to this now but all bullshit aside burning organic stuff makes carcinogens which are proven to cause all kind of problems in your body. The actual impact it has on your health is small and not relevant to your overall well being but your doctor still has a duty to tell you its bad for your health. That said your doctor sounds like a tool who would say drinking 4 or 5 beers a day is fine but that anything illegal is no good. Change doctors right away and file a complaint about improper personal feelings making an impact on how you were treated. You should always be honest with your doctor about your body or else they wont be able to fully help you stay healthy.

of course i do. what's the point in having a doctor you lie to?

That's funny you say that, I told him the other day. In fact, it turns out he's quite pro cannabis ;)

I complty agree it's good to be 100% honest with your doctor so they can give you the best treatment possible. Sadly the fact that many doctors are very ignorant about drug makes this a bad idea especiallly if your perscribed controllled substances like I am.

I am perscribed opietes for chronic pain
and around 6 months ago my doctors office decided to start doing yearly drug test for people that are on controlled substances and I failed it for weed.
I thought my doctor would have been very sympethetic concidering how much I was sufforing from several things that weed helps; including arthitus, glacoma, insomnia, and axiety. I even concidered telling her but I was complty wrong. To despite her knowing of my sleep trouble and the fact I was very sick with some health problems I was haveing she callled me 9 in the morning to telll me I failed the test. I made an apointment for the next day and she spat out the typical bull shit propaganda, your hanging around bad people, its laced, insinuating I'm a drug addict, blah blah blah and so on. When I told her it helps me sleep she said " It helps you sleep because other people says it does; tobaco used be market as somethhing to relax you but it is actualy a stimulent". Yes; that reallly was her responce.

She was ready to drop me as a patient but decided to stilll see me but make me go to a PM clinic for my hydrocodone and tramadol ( even though tramadol is not controlled). I was able to get her to script me my pain meds again by seeing a psycologist for a pm evalulation; luckly he was pretty rational and gave me a goood report.
She gave me a couple more tests after that which I passed. I took a 4 month break from smokeing now will smoke for a week or so after my apoint then stop since I go every month for my meds and am not sure when I willl be tested again. I got her trust back and she has since incresed my pain med dosages when I asked her to since I reallly needed it. Now that I can't smoke regulary I have had to be perscribed multiple new meds to take benzos for sleep which are 100x worse than weed and don't help me sleep nearly as goood as weed. Thanks to her I am way worse off.

I wonder why the medical profession is so institutionally anti-cannabis?

decades of republican propaganda

When they were first makeing it illegal the medical community was very against the prohibition of marijuana.

i see my doctor once a month. hes my suboxone doctor. he prescribes me my subs and seroquel.

he knows i smoke weed. i am 100% honest with him. he doesnt support my decision to smoke weed, but he does think its better than the other drugs i was doing [meth, heroin, x, benzos, etc..]

i told my doctor i smoked pot once and she said i have the right to privacy

I am amazed that some folks here seem to care what their doctor thinks! I would laugh at my doctor if they wanted to drug test me. What a joke... They have no legal right, so tell them to get lost.

I did and the doctor told my mom, I was like what the fuck? She already knew, and I told him that but I did say I did it a few weeks ago, and my mom was questioning how, was pretty stupid shit, I didn't care, but privacy.

wow. how old are you? they aren't supposed to share anything you tell them with your parents if you're over 18 yrs old. they have to keep doctor/patient confidentiality.

The only time I've communicated any sort of drug use to a doctor was when I was about to be placed on blood thinners for an extended period of time (I was on them for a year and a half). The doctor I communicated was a surgeon in the same private practice as the surgeon who was going to perform my surgery, and I straight up asked him about the potential interactions with marijuana, LSD, and MDMA. Even though I still got a semi-biased answer, being truthful was the appropriate thing to do based on the seriousness of my condition and the potential for harmful reactions due to contradictions of blood thinners with other drugs. Luckily like I said, it turned out this guy wasn't the surgeon who was going to perform surgery on me (he ended up giving me diluadids in post care, and said to me, "this is what all the drug seekers try and go after"). However, even if he was the same doctor as the one who was going to do surgery it still would have been the right thing to do if I planned on taking drugs.

My general practitioner, or general practitioners in general I always keep my drug use a secret. I don't want to risk not being able to get a prescription based on mine and the drugs "abuse potential". For example I'm prescribed amphetamine for ADD, and the likely hood of me being able to get that prescription I'd imagine (though can't be certain, as it depends on the doc) would decrease. Though, like I said, if a situation arises where potential interactions could take place I would inquire with the doctor for my safety.

wow. how old are you? they aren't supposed to share anything you tell them with your parents if you're over 18 yrs old. they have to keep doctor/patient confidentiality.

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to communicate confidential information like that even if your under the age 18 (I can't be certain, but I know that for psychologist/psychiatrists the information is confidential even under the age of 18).

Whether or not you should tell your doctor depends on what your doctor is like. There are some progressive ones out there willing to acknowledge the positive effects from marijuana use, but it is still very much an old boys club. New ideas aren't popular, and if they didn't learn about it in med school chances are they probably won't take it seriously. My doctor isn't pro cannabis, but he's well aware of my usage and is helping me get an MMAR for treatment of my IBS. People need to realize that even though pot's one of the oldest medications around, it's still pretty damn new and mysterious in modern medical history, and most doctors only know what they read in newspapers or hear on television. If you're going to talk to your doctor about smoking, you have to be prepared to educate them, do some research and show them clinical trials, studies, etc. It may or may not work, but you can always find a new doctor if need be.

I am amazed that some folks here seem to care what their doctor thinks! I would laugh at my doctor if they wanted to drug test me. What a joke... They have no legal right, so tell them to get lost.

In my situation like I explained above they do have a legal right if you are perscribed controlled substances like I am and I dont care what she thinks of me what I care about is being labled as a drug abuser in my file and have that get in the way of me being perscribed pain meds which I legitetmly need to get though the day.

haha she told me "we're a drug free envirement"
wtf 1. I'm not her employe and 2. she perscribes very powerfull narcotic drugs

My mom 100% agrees how retarded it is you can't be honest with doctors about drug use without being labled and possibly refused treatment.

if the doctor is prescribing something psychoactive to you, stay safe and tell them you don't. my doctor would not have given me an adderall prescription had he known i smoked pot. if i had he would have pegged me for drug seeking behavior.

I could tell my GP and ask him not to chart on it and he wouldn't. I don't trust a notation about recreational drug use to not affect me badly in some way some day. A do-gooder moralist resident could someday deny me freaking ibuprofen over something in her/his mind that casts me as a drug seeker. I'm exaggerating only a little. Notes in charts can make it to insurance companies at times. They certainly can affect your future treatment options if your old chart makes it to a new doc.

At least 80% of physicians would not be black and white about recreational drug use. My ability to screen Doctors on the topic is pretty limited. I don't want to incur prejudice from people who get to call a fair number of shots.

My general experience has been to never tell a doctor about my recreational drug use until he is staring at me with a urinalysis in his hands.

Glad to hear you have an open minded Doc! I've had very mixed reactions, regarding cannabis, or... many other natural 'remedies' for various obstacles. Generally, pretending I haven't read your most recent post (ha!) I say make sure you know his/her stance on weed (for medicine) before you say 'yes I smoke weed' - so you don't get a nasty or judgmental reaction, or before something lame happens because of your 'yes' reply.

But like I said, serious 'yay' for the pro cannabis stance!

prescription weed & doctor attitudes

told my new doc I had prescription cannabis from California and she seemed fine with it and continued to prescribe me pain-killers, benzos, trazadone as needed.
but also told her when I stopped using weed too. it's a tough call whether to reveal everything about yourself to any healthcare professional, and varies from doc to doc. maybe try to determine how your doctor feels about cannabis first before telling too much, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.