• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you tell your doctor you smoke pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if youre looking to get prescribed a specific medication, its best if you do not make your doctor aware of your substance abuse. looking for an adhd or benzo medication with intentions to acheive recreactional effects from it? then telling your doc the truth about your marijuana use, or any drug for that matter, is not a good idea. he will think you have bad intentions and will not give out anything that is known for its ability to get the patient high.

Last edited:
I agree that's a given if you have a record of recent substance abuse with a doctor you haven't established a long-term history as a patient with one. I have a record of (involuntary) rehab commitment and indeed wasn't scripted anything with significant abuse potential. But given I had known this guy for 6 years, after about 8 months or so of reporting no use he wrote scripts for scheduled substances again.

And some honestly just don't give a shit (pain management doctors come to mind).

But again, zyNc973 is absolutely right. I just mentioned the occasional exceptions and why.

only once when i was going in to surgery.
they asked if i had done any drugs and i said yes.
the anesthesiologist then asks me what kind and i say weed and she goes "oh, so no real drugs?"

When i started smoking cigarettes at the age of 15 my doctor said "are you fucking crazy? why not just smoke a joint once a month? stop smoking those things".

I have told all of doctors that I smoke pot once in a while and none of them took issue with it.

It doesn't always come up. When asked, I admit to smoking cigarettes and I tell them that I casually smoke weed (I'm more than casual). I was surprised that I haven't been lectured about it yet. The fact that smoking is bad for you is pretty fucking obvious, and it's not like badgering people about it makes people quit.

Then again, that's maybe why I don't get any good drugs. My friend lies out his ass about everything and he's got some very heady scripts. I'd rate my mental health as 'delicate', so I don't want to lie to my doctors and shit.

I wouldn't tell my doctor. It's likely that it would be recorded and should you ever need the likes of benzos prescribed the doctor would be reluctant to do so due to a 'history of drug abuse'.

told my primary, he didn't really care. his concern was daily usage (understandable. daily inhalation of smoke = bad in any form). i told him i didn't smoke EVERY day, yet to be fair, he never asked if i vaped every day....

my psychologist knows about my cannabis, occasional lsd, and very sparing mdma usage. he knows that i'm responsible with it so he doesn't really care. there are more important things to worry about than chemicals being used responsibly.

I don't have any bad experiences telling doctors, I never bring it up but I've been asked like on 3 different occasions and always remind them of patient confidentiality and them tell them the truth, none have been judgmental so far, then again I rarely go to the doctor.

Yea my doctor knows I smoke weed. There's no reason to lie about something so harmless. It's to your advantage to have your doctor know what you're up to.

Told me doc ages ago.

His attitude was it would suit my metabolism, and told me to just watch the booze.

I liked him, he retired now.

Now I deal with docs who prescribe antidepressants for everything :X

Yes, but awkwardly

Do I tell my Doc/mental health care-co-ordinator I'm smoking?
yeah,
but it's very awkward...

I also think even for mental/pyschological problems a lot of the time it is still Not the best idea to tell the doc. A lot of docs will concentrate on the weed and see it as the cause of the problem instead of being a symptom or even help.
-yess, very much so.

As an ex heavy smoker, I know heavy useage can bring problems, but not in everyone, and not always anxious/paranoid of nature, for example, apathy isues and inaction problems etc
AND
not everyone is a heavy smoker.

I think the NHS take a one sided/blanket view that cannabis can cause everyone anxiety.
For some, like me, who have constant anxiety from benzo tapering, it is an insighful escape, together with fresh perspectives on seemingly in-soluble problems, and catch-22 situations.
I am able to be more positive, unlike the benzo taper's constant negativity with little, or no ability to perceive anything positively.

I feel the doctors may say, :-
"well if you're not helping yourself, we can't help you"

Low cannabis use is the best way to help myself, as it does what my meds should be doing.

Due to my low cannabis tolerance, I still get anxius with the first hit, but unlike the benzo withdrawal anxiety, cannabis gives me more ability to view my problems with new perspectives.

This is what is hard to get across to the doctors, social workers, nurses, psychiatrists etc etc......Anyone agree?

Last edited:
I tell them,...at my age, a doctor is not as surprised to hear you smoke pot as much as he is surprised to find out that you lied...

I told my Doc when I was 18 that I smoked pot. Labeled me as a drug addict(Even though at the time I was only using it to get to sleep.) and would only prescribe me every antidepressant under the sun.

I would say no, donot tell your Doc unless you know they are cool.

yeah thats something SWIM wouldn't mention. unless its down to some surgery or treatment that reacts negatively with cannabis, (very few AFAIK), it's not worth bringing up in casual conversation.

Tell them you smoke cigarettes and thats it
that is what i would do

yes I tell my doctor I smoke, also tell him how much a day to...he's a good bloke though and he's been my doc for the last 6yrs now. If you go to the docs or hospital they need to know so you can be treated right...I have ADD and depression though and he understands it's a good helper in relieving the 10billion thoughts rushing around all day. A doctor is not going to go running to the cops going old mate's on the hooter/pipi/harry whatever, they have doc/patient confidentionaly shit in place, they are there to help not prosecute :)

Status
Not open for further replies.