• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why didn't we evolve to feel awesome all the time?

^ The thing is, though, it is the most amazing experience you will ever have in life.
Everybody experiences it when they die.
To experience while you're alive is a gift.

That's why he said, "while still being human", I think.
Because it is different to experience it and come back.

All of those fundamental questions.

What is the meaning of life?
Why are we here?
Is there a God?

You can have the answers.

I feel pretty awesome most of the time and when I don't its because I've chosen to be distracted for practical reasons or some other surface snag. I think it comes down to your definition of awesome. I feel awesomely sad when I'm sad and awesomely joyous when I experience joy and awesomely floaty when floating and the list goes on. My husband is dealing with an aggressive cancer and he's 69. After a life spent living with most of his feelings held at arms length unless they fit in the comfortable category he has now entered into this same state of appreciation. It's as if once someone tells you your life is in fact short as fuck, you suddenly realize that you have always been, and still are, surrounded by nothing but a raging complexity of awesomeness.

I feel pretty awesome most of the time and when I don't its because I've chosen to be distracted for practical reasons or some other surface snag. I think it comes down to your definition of awesome. I feel awesomely sad when I'm sad and awesomely joyous when I experience joy and awesomely floaty when floating and the list goes on. My husband is dealing with an aggressive cancer and he's 69. After a life spent living with most of his feelings held at arms length unless they fit in the comfortable category he has now entered into this same state of appreciation. It's as if once someone tells you your life is in fact short as fuck, you suddenly realize that you have always been, and still are, surrounded by nothing but a raging complexity of awesomeness.

this is for my research, but if it's private, feel feel t ignore me. i'm curious about what drugs you use and your eating habits. i'd guess pot and/or psychedelics, if that, but no smoking or drinking at all. and you eat a healthy diet that's low fat low protein.?????

I feel awesome most of the time too these days... in my 20s I did not, due to a variety of factor (too many drugs, particularly opiates/addiction, and a destructive long-term relationship). I was nearly suicidal (fantastized but never planned or tried) at the end of that. Then I addressed the things that were hurting me and got rid of them and started spending my time doing things I love and am passionate about. I can relate to what you're saying herby, about "awesomely sad"... I certainly get sad but I feel like I'm able to experience it now for what it is and let it affect me the way it's supposed to and wash over me, and move on.

But yeah, feeling euphoric all the time is not sustainable or even desirable, in my opinion.

I feel awesome most of the time too these days... in my 20s I did not, due to a variety of factor (too many drugs, particularly opiates/addiction, and a destructive long-term relationship). I was nearly suicidal (fantastized but never planned or tried) at the end of that. Then I addressed the things that were hurting me and got rid of them and started spending my time doing things I love and am passionate about. I can relate to what you're saying herby, about "awesomely sad"... I certainly get sad but I feel like I'm able to experience it now for what it is and let it affect me the way it's supposed to and wash over me, and move on.

But yeah, feeling euphoric all the time is not sustainable or even desirable, in my opinion.

i have a serious problem with sorrow when i'm in bliss/nonaddict mode AKA high on life. i feel joy very easily, but profound sorrow is always out there. for me, it's about loneliness. i have joy and peace but no one to share with - these emotions *must* be shared. i've experience piercing loneliness, aching sorrow, beautiful emotions, but crippling. wabi sabi, really. i strongly suspect both of these feeling are tied to serotonin.

I get that... fortunately I have a plethora of people to share it with, but there was a time in my life when I didn't and it hurt.

i have a serious problem with sorrow when i'm in bliss/nonaddict mode AKA high on life. i feel joy very easily, but profound sorrow is always out there.

Sounds like it might be something to do with the after effects of drugs... like you said, you suspect serotonin is involved.
How long has it been since you've had a sustained period of sobriety?
Do you feel like drugs are interfering with your social potential?

(Sorry if this is off-topic, or too personal, whatever.)

I don't think it's feasible or even preferable to feel amazing all the time.

Yep. I don't want to feel good all the time.
I don't like ecstasy; I would hate being on it permanently.

If everybody felt good all the time, you wouldn't know if you had any value (nobody would).
Everything would be/become meaningless.

This is what I don't like about ecstasy: everybody loving everybody means nobody (really) loves anyone.

Sounds like it might be something to do with the after effects of drugs... like you said, you suspect serotonin is involved.
How long has it been since you've had a sustained period of sobriety?
Do you feel like drugs are interfering with your social potential?

(Sorry if this is off-topic, or too personal, whatever.)

well, to be certain, the first twenty months of my lock up were stone cold sober. bare brained. wasn't pretty. i survived by sticking to my diet - not eating the fatty crap or any meat, extra veggies, fruit and skim milk. given that, i'm at non-addicted bliss state base. meaning my basic mood is positive energy, unity, oneness, etc. and prison is good for the low latent inhibition bit - reduced stimuli, and its survival when you need it. but the bliss state needs for company, which, oddly i found. i joined the various prayer circles, making no false pretenses. the charismatic who led them, a 23 yo south georgia boy with an an accent like warm butter and a body...nevermind, i only looked. enjoyed the debates we had - i gave him a taste of jesuit, and he liked it. pascal's wager, too. that kid was high on God - he could just channel it, he'd bounce up and down on his toes when he was testifying. for me, it was pure male beauty - that 23yo boy in stripes, with a face like a country star, just glowing with power. he was one of the very few people who knew i was gay, and even though he was a hard core fundamentalist, i trusted him with my life. that's how shit is.

when i got down the road, to real prison, CCC took care of me. just like when i was in the transfer facility, a guy i'd helped out in county saw me and the next day i got a package of edibles and a pen. like instant karma. i loved that guy - he was a dealer, but he didn't use at all. he was addicted to the game. also one i'd trust with my life, in county we tried to help out the transgender guy (they take away your hormones and you crash, metabolically). he knew the guy, through his daughter, awful - they cut off his HIV meds and he was just begging to be allowed to die (though not irrepably sick with good care). i taled to him like a human being, got hazed for it for a week, but what the fuck you gonna do?

oh, CCC - once in real prison, my codiabetic, catfish (diabetics get to go to the nurse once a day and can scam extra meals) out of the blue asked if i knew anyone who'd buy a bottle of cough syrup. after that, i traded a pack of tuna for a bottle every week. MUCH BETTER. i joined the DnD group, which became my clique. i worked by GD mojo, too - shit falling into place, just at the right time, etc and i payed back. my bunkmate ran store (meaning buying and reselling food items) but rather than a personal profit, he used the system to generate extra food for guys who had nothing on the outside. like out dungeon master - we feed him. i'm sneak dinner after my insulin, then go with the pod later to the cafe and give away my plate. we got that shit hummin - reciprocal altruism, as needed god dammit.

and with dxm in my system, i can testify, like my fundy buddy did - i can speak righteously and lay down the truth. nation of islam specializes in this, but its not religion specific. i can lay down the shit on the evils of race, etc. what did they call me? alien. that was my name.where's the alien, we need to start the game! wtfever.

see, having that one bottle of dxm made the difference between surviving and living. it's the low latent inhibition, i think - i naturally don't have filters. dxm is a mild anaesthetic - like veil. of course, all the new research in antidepressants is based on the fact that ketamine can with one shot alleviate the worst, most intractable depression, and keep it gone for a week. so they try to make a ketamine that cures depression but doesn't give visions - dumbasses, it's the same thing. yes, i can get you the pubmed citations, by the hundreds. but you don't give a shit. you've already decided i'm an addict/abuser. it's a given to you that it's impossible to successly self-medicate, in fact, self-medicating is a symptom of mental illness. because you want them to be victims. victims of drug abuse or depression, helpless, who must appeal to the god on high, big pharma, for relief. well, i'm not a fucking victim. i don't need your help, and i find the offers offensive. doctor, heal thyself. i control my own neurochemistry - often by doing nothing but following a strict diet. so, yeah, that.

The people and events that guide you in the right direction are not necessarily, by implication, good or right.
Sometimes - often, I think, - it just happens that way, and there's nothing much to be made of it.
The success, or lack thereof, of recreational drug use mostly revolves around timing.
And, often it's unpredictable.

You've made a lot of comments, across a bunch of threads, praising DXM for various reasons.
And, I like DXM - don't get me wrong - but, I'm worried that you give the drug too much credit.
Getting through what you've been through must have been fucking hard, man.
But, at some point, maybe you're not going to need drugs any more.

I don't know how much you use.
So, maybe I'm wrong.

But, don't get so defensive.
I'm an addict too.

100mg a day. not even first plateau.i've done it for decades. sorry, it's a standard speech, you didn't deserve it.

You've been taking DXM daily for decades?

Do you think you'll ever stop?
If not, why not?

I don't take DXM daily.
Most people don't...

So, why do you need it?

I think we are bypassing thousands of years of evolution with the use of technology and science. However the main motive behind of most the technology and science is mostly to make money, making everyone's life easier is only a small part of the equation. Once we utilize our technology correctly maybe we will feel awsome.

You've been taking DXM daily for decades?

Do you think you'll ever stop?
If not, why not?

I don't take DXM daily.
Most people don't...

So, why do you need it?

because i'm utterly nonfunctional without. can't maintain job, friendships, nada. with it, i have a much improved life. i'm considering switching to memantine

i have a serious problem with sorrow when i'm in bliss/nonaddict mode AKA high on life. i feel joy very easily, but profound sorrow is always out there. for me, it's about loneliness. i have joy and peace but no one to share with - these emotions *must* be shared. i've experience piercing loneliness, aching sorrow, beautiful emotions, but crippling. wabi sabi, really. i strongly suspect both of these feeling are tied to serotonin.

.th.at sucks good friends are hard to come by when u get older. I have only ever made one good friend after 25. any other person that is a good friend i met when school aged. try getting involved in sports or playing music or whatever u like to do that others also like

ive wondered this ever since i started taking drugs so i figured i'd throw it out there..

why do i have to take something to experience extreme euphoria? why isnt our baseline more like rolling?

Because then our head will have to be 20 times larger than it is now, and that won't be physiologically practical.

You see the brain's reward system (the limbic system which makes up roughly only 7% of our brain's entire density) will have to be at least 20 times larger than it is now to produce, regulate and release enough Dopamine to possibly accommodate and accomplish the natural, all-the-time daily bliss that you speak of.