View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trouble Smoking DMT

Psilocybeing

Greenlighter
Hey Bluelighters! I made a post in the Big and Dandy DMT thread a couple of days ago with questions about smoking DMT. I decided to go ahead with the method recommended by the person who replied there. I smoked the DMT on steel wool in a regular marijuana pipe. I tried this twice, and it didn't work either time, unfortunately. I was outdoors the first time in windy weather, and I'm not surprised the attempt didn't work - I lost some of my dose loading my pipe and had trouble keeping my flame lit long enough. I did get some vapor from the DMT but not enough for even threshold effects. I tried smoking again in my room, thinking that I would have no issues this time. I made sure to follow the instructions I had been given. I kept the flame away from the steel wool, but it still caught fire (which I quickly blew out). The DMT melted fine, but for some reason, even after prolonged heating with the flame, I wasn't able to get anything but the smallest amounts of vapor from it. I'm not sure if this was vaporized or burned DMT (it tasted acrid and was white in color, if I remember correctly). There was still resin left on the steel wool when I removed it after trying for many minutes. I think the problem is my pipe. It's new and clean, but it might be too small to give sufficient airflow to vaporize all the DMT.

It's very frustrating to have wasted two doses this way, but I fortunately have enough to try again. Of course, I want to make sure I don't fuck it up this time, so I wanted advice on what the most foolproof way to smoke DMT is. I've done a lot of reading and want to know which of the following options is best.
(1) bed of marijuana or ashes in a regular pipe
(2) marijuana sandwich in a regular pipe
(3) steel wool in a regular pipe
(4) freebase pipe (the only headshop in town sells them for $25, which I think is overpriced)
(5) The Machine (I'll try making this, but I haven't found a suitable bottle)

As an alternative, I'm willing to snort the drug, but I've heard that the burn is legendary. Can anyone who has actually tried this give me an idea of how painful it is? Does the freebase work for snorting?

yeah dont snort it. give me a second... ill write up something perfect for you. stay online

exfuckingstremely painful. launch is a no go.

I'm planning on doing it inside my next time just so the weather doesn't fuck up my plans.

Don't worry about a prompt reply - I won't be doing it until Thursday probably and will definitely wait until I've heard a sufficient range of opinions.

alright, cool... do it inside with a nest of blankets and shit. comfy. like a womb. no music. DIM lighting. like a few candles worth. maybe some christmas lights at most.

get your pipe and put about half a bowls worth of greens and sprinkle on all your D ( a pile the size of your pinkey nail and about the thickness of 2 quarters stacked should be more than enough depending on density) if you have jimjam (the full range of alkaloids, and it is waxy, half of this will be overkill) if you have yellow dmt wax then this will be more than you need, but it being your first time you might as well do it right, and more cant hurt.

keep in mind the first "hit" is mostly just melting it on. the second hit is when it really starts to vaporize. so go for 5 or so hits.

when your lighting it dont be a pussy with the flame, light that shit, but not on fire. just enough so you pulling the pipe pulls the flame down towards the bud and starts charring the bud. if it catches flame just stop inhaling and put it out realll fast with the butt of the lighter, then just as quickly continue.

you want to shoot for as full a lungfull as possible, but dont hold it in more than 10-12 seconds... go for your next one asap, but you know, still hold it in a bit. feel it out...

im sure your well aware that after the second full lungfull you will become completely out of it. you will think youve had too much, "WOAH". this is the universe lying to you. go for the rest. you want to kill the bowl, and take a few resin hits while your tripping balls. once you forget what arms are lay down and drop the pipe somewhere it wont burn you.

this is guarenteed to work if your inside and theres no wind.

i have smoked DMT every way conceivable. for someone whos never done it that is the most foolproof way.

i would say the second most foolproof is the machine. DONT USE STEEL WOOL. use that metal cleaning scrubber coir boy stuff. burn it first to burn off the oils and outer layer of gunk. when its dull grey use it. this is the #1 way if you know how to make the machine... a suitable bottle would be the small glass bottles that peppermint or vanilla oil come in. go to target or windixi or something

Last edited:
4) freebase pipe (the only headshop in town sells them for $25, which I think is overpriced)

By far the best option and definitely worth the price when the reward is a DMT breakthrough. They can be used to vaporise any chemicals at all and it's completely foolproof; there's literally no way of fucking it up and you can observe the melting/vaporizing process by eye the whole time.

You do need a torch lighter as well though, if you're gonna do it this way.

ive found through expereince that freebase pipes are not the best method. i suggest trying out to learn for yourself.

Thanks for the replies. I have a few questions about your method, IGNVS.

keep in mind the first "hit" is mostly just melting it on. the second hit is when it really starts to vaporize. so go for 5 or so hits.
I know it melts very quickly, but how long should it take to vaporize? How will I know that I'm vaporizing and not burning?

when your lighting it dont be a pussy with the flame, light that shit, but not on fire. just enough so you pulling the pipe pulls the flame down towards the bud and starts charring the bud. if it catches flame just stop inhaling and put it out realll fast with the butt of the lighter, then just as quickly continue.
Should I hold the choke closed while I'm doing this? Do I want the weed to cherry? Also, is there any danger of the liquid DMT dripping through the bud into the pipe?

ive found through expereince that freebase pipes are not the best method. i suggest trying out to learn for yourself.
Is there any reason for this? Is the glass just too thick for the DMT to vaporize quickly enough?

You can have a great trip with smoked DMT.

But in all honesty, none of my (many) trials with smoked DMT alone came close to some of the unbelievable breakthroughs I've had with combinations like insufflated & smoked DMT, or sublingual MAOI & DMT + smoked DMT.

Soon will be experimenting with more sublingual stuff, and some ayahuasca. I want to really hone in on the best way to administer this glorious molecule. For now though, take my word -- smoking freebase isn't the best way to take DMT.

I have to post an update. I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but I decided to take the resin-soaked steel wool from my earlier attempts and smoke it to see if anything happened. I kept the flame on for longer this time. It did catch fire a few times but that was quickly put out. There was more smoke/vapor this time, and I managed one or two lungfuls. I definitely felt threshold effects and was quite taken aback that my little experiment had yielded any results. I didn't carry on because I think most of the DMT is gone and all I would be inhaling is hot air. But I must say wow. If a small amount of DMT can make me feel like I do on a low dose of acid or shrooms, I have to wonder how earth-shattering a breakthrough can be. My body is still shaking a little from the experience.

insufflated & smoked DMT, or sublingual MAOI & DMT + smoked DMT
Can you go into more detail about the methods you use? How much do you insufflate and how much do you smoke when you combine the two methods? Is there any way to lessen the pain of snorting? And how do you take it sublingually - just let the freebase dissolve under your tongue?

^ Regarding insufflation and smoked freebase, the goal is pretty much to get as much of the stuff into your system as possible. You can only snort so much before it starts getting uncomfortable, and you can only smoke so much before you're too tripped out to even handle the pipe & lighter. Despite the raw nasal passages after comedown (you can't feel it at all during breakthrough), let it be known I have fucking flown through the universe at warp 11 on this combination. I'd call it beautiful, but that would be an absurd understatement. :D

I've tried to convert DMT into a stable non-hygroscopic salt for the purposes of painless insufflation, but I can't seem to get that to work. Even DMT fumarate seemed to stubbornly remain moist and gooey.

Sublingually, you want to convert it into a salt, or else it's not as effective and burns quite a bit under there. I used a DMT fumarate solution. BUT -- and I haven't gotten around to trying this yet, so it's purely theoretical -- you could take a single dose of DMT freebase, dump it in a spoon, add white vinegar dropwise until all DMT is converted to acetate salt (aided by careful application of heat via lighter), and PRESTO, you've got yourself a little spoonful of ready-to-sublingually-dose DMT acetate tincture.

I can, however, definitely attest to the fact that you can trip on sublingual harmaloids and sublingual DMT fumarate alone. Only a very measly 40 mg caapi alkaloids and 30 mg DMT produces remarkable OEVs and body high. And a few others I've communicated with have gotten full-blown breakthroughs with sublingual DMT, needing no more than 100 mg! It's stupid that I haven't explored the sublingual possibility more!

honestly bro there should be no problem smoking dmt be it hcl or freebase

I think your scared!! get a pipe take a tiny pinch of bud put that in the pipe eyeball some dmt or scale it doesnt matter well if your a dumbass it does
but dumbass'es shouldn't be doing dmt anyway.Put another tiny pinch of bud on top put the flame to it and cash that bitch like it was salvia and hold it in.
If you don't feel like your dying within 10 seconds either your dmt is bogus
or your punking out this shit is not for fun ok man take it seriously and it will be serious believe that,I don't know why all these people are giving you tips because there aint none put it in a pipe on top of something and blaze it up and give in tune out and comeback when that jaguar jumped into me i knew my steps of dissolution where gonna fall back in such perfect harmony!

PEACE

and yea bro if you still don't feel it your supplier bunked you from the jump..

"As an alternative, I'm willing to snort the drug, but I've heard that the burn is legendary"

This statement is legendary!

woah lets assume he dosnt have harmala aklaoids or fumaric acid... both of which can be a pain in the ass to get in two days without your own private jet or a brewery right down the street.

if your as broke as i am it could take weeks to get these to start experimenting.

the dude just wants to smoke some dmt. if you want to go further than a regular breakthrough sure go ahead and turn your nostrils into a big mac...

to answer the psilocybeings questions:

you will know you vaporize it and not burn it when you feel the spicy plastic taste arrest your mouth but dont see your dmt on fire.

you want to use the choke for the first few seconds and the open up to clear the bowl and keep sucking until no more vapor is produced, so as not to waste any. if you use the choke the whole time when you go to just hold in your hit a bunch of vapor will escape the bowl.

smoke it like its some damn good weed you dont want to waste the smoke of. if you have a good smoking technique use that and use it to the extreme.

trust me if you put enough dmt in the bowl and smoke it all right you will get your breakthrough without watching what you eat for 24 hours or risk poisoning yourself...

dont get me wrong harmala alkaloids are great for further experimentation, but for your first time its reeealllly not nesesary.

you dont want the weed to cherry until your last hit or two. if the weed cherries then your dmt will be vaporizing while your holding it in.

what you could do is get it to start charring then open the choke and suck until its not orange... so at most only get a SMALL peice of bud to cherry.

its nice to have someone expereinced SHOW you how. maybe i will get it on video one day if some friends have it, but i dont really want to go through the process of making it and all that jazz. i already know what its like.. im moving on.

if you have some extra, just take a pinch and snort it to know how bad it burns. to get a full insuflated dose is WAY more than a full smoked dose.

fucking lava pick axes.... like a team of trapped chilean minners trying to dig their way out of your sinus right into your brain.

I've yet to manage a full breakthrough myself but have come closest using one of these...

pd1650675.jpg

... bed of ash (weed would likely work but is trickier to smoke on these ghetto crackpipes) and your Dmitri on top with a second covering of ash over the top. The smoke is very concentrated with this method (cos you fill the bottle 3/4 full with water and the tube just takes the concentrated smoke from the top section) so you get a massive lungful instantly and is definitely very effective.

Have also had surprising success chasing it off tinfoil like heroin but is only really suitable if you have good chasing technique. It's also a bit harder to get enough smoke in quick enough but you can certainly get a good few lines in before it gets too whacky to focus on what you're doing.

Good luck - maybe meet you by the third elf on the left sometime :)

the dude just wants to smoke some dmt. if you want to go further than a regular breakthrough sure go ahead and turn your nostrils into a big mac...

He specifically asked me to elaborate on other routes of administration.

The idea is to combine insufflated and smoked so that the burn is manageable, but break through occurs more easily.

he did, but what he is really after is just getting off on the stuff. he thinks he wants options but this will only make it more dificult for him. this is what anyone that wants to go at this scientifically would do and i applaud him for it.

however

ive been in his shoes before.... you would go to great lengths to get it done any way possible, and thus you search for all the ways to get it done. what you wind up doing is wasting alot of dmt trying a bunch of uneffective smoking methods, snorting it, turning it into acidic goo that wont harden, making rediculously elaborate smoking devices that dont come close to working as good as

GOOD SMOKING TECHNIQUE

he already has all he needs to do it, why send him on a wild goose chase?

im not saying he SHOULDNT try the other methods eventually, and its nice to elaborate on them... im just saying he is only asking this because he wants to make sure that it works. he stated he is tired of wasting his spice.

i hold this as his highest priority, and thereofre address all other things with that in mind.

i have nothing against what your saying, im just putting it into the perspective of this guy after he has experimented, which is basically just a me.

im also trying to throw in at least a pinch of harm reduction when i say that snorting something that was extracted at a ph of 13.5 is going to destroy your sinus. ive done it. its horrible.

harmala alkaloids are a much better way to take your spice further, but if your going to get your hands on those you might as well extract your own dmt, in which case wasting some wouldnt be a problem. you might also just as well extract with satans piss and get the full range of alkaloids, which is twice as potent as regular dmt and lasts longer.