• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Do you still wear jewelry given in past relationships?

Do you still wear jewellery given to you in past relationships?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I never received any

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Depends (explain in thread)

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
i still wear rings, necklaces, bracelets given to me by past lovers. do i tell my current lovers where i got it? no. it reminds me of where i've been, kind of. i don't keep letters, or written things like that, but i keep a few select mixtapes that i listen to when no one else is around to feel nostalgic, or remember a certain place, but mostly i keep other relationships out of my current one.

a what poll, amor?

one of my exes bought me one of them cheap solid black stone rings which i loved. it broke somehow. if it hadn't, i probably wouldn't wear it, nothing against the ex, i just don't wear anything jewelry except my wedding ring.

voted no

Yes, I do. I still have 2 rings and a pair of diamond earrings. They really didn't "symbolize" him or our relationship. I just like them and will continue to wear them.

My last boyfriend was when i was 18 so I don't have anything but things my husband's bought me.

It's a pretty clear distinction between things he's bought me because they were pretty and I'd like them (or I told him to get them for me haha!) which I would wear again, and a few anniversary gifts, plus my engagement and wedding rings, which I think I would put away and not wear again.

Ask me again next time he pisses me off ;-)

I voted no - I chuched what I had in the trash. I could have sold/pawned it for cash as it was gold but for me throwing it out in the garbage seemed better and more final.

"Depends" was my answer.

A few exes have given me jewelry of significant value. My diamond-studded platinum bracelet of butterflies is stylish, so I still wear it. I think it's more expensive than my car.

When I was engaged and it ended wrongly, my subsequent boyfriend and I got drunk and threw my engagement ring out the window together. It was worth about $80.

I have offered all my exes who gave me jewelry to take it back. They declined, so it's in my safe.

Saw one of my exes the other day. He was wearing a shirt of mine, which he can keep :) <3

I don't look on the past with regret for the most part. I offered everything back. I did the best I could. I don't value relationships in money.

As the dreaded J-Lo would say, "my love don't cost a thing".

No.

I still like the jewelry and would like to wear it, but it just feels weird even looking at it. Bad memories associated with it I guess.

FWIW I don't have any jewelry that any ex gave me so it's all hypothetical for me at this point... I don't know what I'd actually do until I was put in that place. So my original answer is just what my gut tells me.

I said no. Mostly because I've managed to lose almost all of it.
BUT
My ex girlfriend got me some jewelry that I haven't lost but don't wear. I don't know what I should do with it. The breakup was terrible, I wish I'd never met her, etc. and it just feels weird. But I'd feel bad if I tossed it. Hm

Never been given any jewelry, but i wear clothes given in past relationships, doesn't bother me at all.

Only found this thread through RP, which is probably a sign I should get around more than I do. There's some interesting stuff here in SO.

Strangely enough, last year I was finally persuaded (by my most recent ex, who is still my one of my closest friends) to take out a pair of earrings which had been bought for me by a girl I split up with back in early 2005.

Her excuse was because they were gold they made me look like a 'scally / chav' (apologies for UK culturally-based colloquialisms, but I can't think of a direct international equivalent) but it was maybe a mildly possessive thing as well as a fashion tip.

I still keep them and may wear them occasionally but I've grown used to myself without them. The ironic thing is that I'd actually almost forgotten their association with the girl who purchased them, yet occasionally I'll find other things like a bookmark she made for me, and maybe sigh and reminisce. At one time it would've choked me up, but it would appear time has healed, as the well-worn saying goes.

So I answered 'maybe' but I can see why anyone would either throw every trace of their ex away, or in certain circumstances hang on to something, especially if the person in question died. Or even if the jewellery's just especially nice. :)

I live near the University. We used to dumpster after the students moved out and we always found nice jewelry, I always imagined why they threw it out . . .

^ Damn. I wish I had done that when I was at my over-priced, private university.

Well it is okay like right now... I'm wearing a ring from my ex boyfriend.... so its alright I guess.... it depends on how you look at it I guess. everyone has a different view of it..... Soo

Actually it depends, if it is precious then yes. If I don't want to remember my past relationship then no.

It's weird to come across this... I was talking to my ex on Facebook last night and she messaged me a photo of her and a coworker and pointed out that she was wearing the heart earrings I got her years ago. I wasn't sure how to take it, not because I was upset but more wondering.