• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

MDMA and Albuterol Inhaler for Asthma???

gnarleyonaharley

Bluelighter
Friend of mine is nervous about using MDMA because he occasionally uses an Albuterol (ProAir) inhaler for asthma. I didn't really know what to tell him, from my research I haven't found any scientific negative interactions other than increased heart rate and blood pressure when combining the two at the same time. He was nervous because in the warnings it says do not use inhaler within 2 weeks of using MAO Inhibitors and read on Wikipedia (very noob source of info) that MDMA has MAO inhibiting properties. Wondering if anybody knows from experience if this combo is safe or has any scientific background why it is or isn't safe to combine? What about if he doesn't use it the day of? He has mild asthma and is a smoker. I don't condone any drug use but would rather him be safe than sorry! Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if this is myth or not, but when I was rolling a lot back in the days, I remember I used up my whole albuterol inhaler in a matter of a few days, as I felt using it while rolling boosted my roll, looking back on it, it could've just been placebo, but I used the whole damn thing in a few days and sure thought I was getting higher, the same goes for rubbing vicks all over my chest at the same time too, only thing I am sure of though is it won't hurt you. I went through a ton of both of those medicines while I was rolling.

Friend of mine is nervous about using MDMA because he occasionally uses an Albuterol (ProAir) inhaler for asthma. I didn't really know what to tell him, from my research I haven't found any scientific negative interactions other than increased heart rate and blood pressure when combining the two at the same time. He was nervous because in the warnings it says do not use inhaler within 2 weeks of using MAO Inhibitors and read on Wikipedia (very noob source of info) that MDMA has MAO inhibiting properties. Wondering if anybody knows from experience if this combo is safe or has any scientific background why it is or isn't safe to combine? What about if he doesn't use it the day of? He has mild asthma and is a smoker. I don't condone any drug use but would rather him be safe than sorry! Thanks for the help.
If mdma has any maoi properties I'm unaware of them. Certainly not significant.

@ squirrel: This is from the wikipedia page on MAO inhibitors: "Various tryptamine and phenethylamine/amphetamine derivatives such as αET, αMT, amphetamine (itself), methamphetamine, MDMA, 4-MTA, PMA, 2C-T-7, and 2C-T-21 may also have weak to strong MAOI effects at high doses."

The fact that there is no citation for this and its wording of "may have weak to strong" makes this statement seem pretty unreliable. I can't find anything other than that sentence on the internet (from reliable sources) that backs up that statement.

@bpayne: Found this on thegooddrugsguide.com: "Anecdotal reports seem to suggest that there are no particular problems or direct physical dangers for asthmatics taking ecstasy. However many asthma inhalers (such as Ventolin or Salbutamol) use amphetamine-like chemicals which increase heart rate and blood pressure and may not be wise to combine with Ecstasy."

Maybe wasn't so much a placebo effect! Thanks for your experience though, seems to me he is good to go.

@ squirrel: This is from the wikipedia page on MAO inhibitors: "Various tryptamine and phenethylamine/amphetamine derivatives such as αET, αMT, amphetamine (itself), methamphetamine, MDMA, 4-MTA, PMA, 2C-T-7, and 2C-T-21 may also have weak to strong MAOI effects at high doses."

The fact that there is no citation for this and its wording of "may have weak to strong" makes this statement seem pretty unreliable. I can't find anything other than that sentence on the internet (from reliable sources) that backs up that statement.
That seems like the kind of claim that should come with a citation. I'm familiar with 2c-t7 having an maoi affect which caused problems in conjunction with mdma, but no mention of the effect coming from the mdma.

Thanks squirrel. Also I found an archived discussion on a somewhat related topic and a lot of people with asthma claim that they can actually breathe better while rolling??? When I think about this I can see how it hypothetically makes sense because the "amphetamine-like" properties of an Albuterol inhaler probably act in the same was as the amphetamine properties of MDMA.

Bpayne or anyone else have you noticed easier breathing while rolling that you didn't need the inhaler or did you just always use the inhaler because it was "increasing the roll"? haha Also how bad was your asthma?