Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Growing shrooms from scratch/NO SPORES NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo

Bluelighter
Hi.

There's actually 2 parts to this- both related.

PART 1

Back in the day, i'd say 10+ years ago, I bought a book that had recipes for all sorts of things.

One recipe as I recall, was growing mycelium from simple store bought products.

THE ONLY PRODUCTS NEEDED:

potatoes
pure dextrose
agar-agar
(some other things i cant remember, but I do remember EVERYTHING as bought at the grocery store.)

Anyways, everything was prepared and pressurized.

After about 2 -3 days, a white patch of mycelium began to grow.
After about a week a cake was definitely forming.

I can no longer find this book in stores. It soon disappeared after the terrible tragedy (nineyearsthreemonthsago).

The cake never fully colonized because I couldnt find the proper PSI pressure cooker, so,
What I ended up doing was compensating by cooking for more time.
^^^I assumed that would work.
From the knowledge accumulated over the years I understand the cake was dried out from over cooking...

...But,
Not before forming a relatively decent looking cake.

AND I REPEAT:

NO SPORES, INNOC'S, PRINTS, nothing but grocery store items.

I really wish I had that book now.

There were some bogus things in there that did not work, mind you.
For ex: Peanut skins- haha yeah right...
^^^I wonder which dumbass tried that? (see OP)

However,
Other things did turn out well.
And 10+ years experience later from growing shro- *ahem* i mean shiitakes,
I'd have to say the "mushroom-from-scratch" method is 100% doable.

PART 2

One other thing, while on the same topic.

I often time make rice in the rice cooker.
And often I forget it's in there.
It sits in the cooker WITHOUT EVER HAVE BEEN OPENED AFTER COOKED.
Maybe about a week later,
I'll remember and open it.
Lo-and-behold...
An almight, white frizzy fuzzy patch of mycelium is colonizing inside.
Pure white.
And beautiful.
Psilocybin?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-J.J. Shabadoo Jr.

I'm confused....how is it possible to grow 'from scratch' as you say?

That's like saying you can grow marijuana with just dirt and a light. It's gotta come from something. Even to work with agar, you need spores..

Perhaps what you grew was just mold. Even mold comes from spores in the air though. Maybe you can get ultra lucky and some psilocybe variety spores will land in your grow. :p

Hi.

Lo-and-behold...
Pure white.
And beautiful.
Psilocybin?

-J.J. Shabadoo Jr.
Hi

Not psilocybin.

I'm confused....how is it possible to grow 'from scratch' as you say?

That's like saying you can grow marijuana with just dirt and a light. It's gotta come from something. Even to work with agar, you need spores..

Perhaps what you grew was just mold. Even mold comes from spores in the air though. Maybe you can get ultra lucky and some psilocybe variety spores will land in your grow. :p

Idk.
I just followed the books recipe.
Everything was sterile.
Super tiny kitchen.
EVERYTHING was lysol-ed down.
It was properly pressurized.
It was definitely pscilocybin growing in comparison to experience these days, is what I wish I could say
Let's just say it was some kind of an unidentified white fungus.
Half the jar colonized- pure white myco.
***Another ingredient I recall is brewers yeast***
^^^maybe that did it.

And right, everything comes from something.
I believe a certain mix of ingredients form the proper substrate to spawn myco prexisting in one of or a combination of the used ingredients.

But in nature, what determines psilocybe to grow?
They say shrooms can be found growing on cow manure.
Well, where did those spores come from?
They say shrooms can be found at parks growing in dog shit.
Well where did those spores come from?
THERE MUST be something,
Such as a combination of ingredients to FORCE a specific myco growth over another.

^^^Myco exist everywhere.
Even bleach and lysol kill only 99.99% of germs.
If there is a stewing pot of numerous different myco,
In any prospective substrate/medium,
What is the rate limiting factor on urging the growth and colonization of the chosen organism?

^^^I'd say:

1. proper sterilization
2. ingredients of preference

And yes spores do exist in the air.
Is it unlikely that psilocybe spores exist in the air as well?
I would think they are present as well.
They are very succeptable to attack by other mycos, though.
Which is why you may not come home after a long vacation and see shrooms growing on a bowl of rice left out on the counter.

There are a lot of questions I have.
Perhaps if anyone has the book on hand they could supply the formula here.
I'd really appreciate it.
Just dont mention the name.

Last edited:
Dude...I think you're just majorly confused here.

I nature (on cowshit, whatever) the spores come from other nearby mature mushrooms whose caps have opened, releasing billions of spores into the wind. It doesn't just pop up outta nothin'.

Dude...I think you're just majorly confused here.

I nature (on cowshit, whatever) the spores come from other nearby mature mushrooms whose caps have opened, releasing billions of spores into the wind. It doesn't just pop up outta nothin'.

True.
But its hard to find any places where shrooms are growing in nature in downtown long beach.
Yet we have found them growing at a tiny little park. The park was right across the street from the beach.
I dont know of any spores blowing in from the ocean or from the sand across the street.
And downtown long beach being as dirty as it is,
It would be hard to believe the shrooms would be able to overpower all the crap we have floating around in the air.

There is a book at (i believe borders?) that serves as an A+++ EXCELLENT guide for mushroom identification.
Yes I know it was kind of silly to eat the shrooms, but we were confident in the book and ourselves.
The things people do when they havent reached a level of understanding not to do them...

And I'm sure you will agree that more than one spore will attack and/or inhabit a medium.
So what factor determines which one will colonize?

ummm yah no offense at all to you dude but this sounds like complette bullshit. Like seriously some straight up fake ass anarchist cookbook shit (in fact you mentioned the book mentioned getting high off peanut shells, are you sure this wasnt in the anarchist cookbook?). You may have read it in a book, but just like on the internet people can write whatever the fuck down

ummm yah no offense at all to you dude but this sounds like complette bullshit. Like seriously some straight up fake ass anarchist cookbook shit (in fact you mentioned the book mentioned getting high off peanut shells, are you sure this wasnt in the anarchist cookbook?). You may have read it in a book, but just like on the internet people can write whatever the fuck down

none taken.

It sounds like your "perfectly sterile environment" got contaminated. A humongous variety of fungus can grow on potato dextrose agar, and many of them have white mycelium. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS PSILOCYBE, OR THAT IT CONTAINS PSILOCYBIN. It means *something* is growing and nobody but a mycologist (after fruiting preferably) or a chemist (after extraction and gc/ms) could tell you if it contains psilocybin.

IT IS NOT SAFE TO EAT OR INGEST THE MYCELIUM OR THE FRUITS IT PRODUCES! until they can be POSITIVELY identified as non toxic. Treat that jar as if it had deathcap mycelium in it.

PART 2

One other thing, while on the same topic.

Lo-and-behold...
Pure white.
And beautiful.
Psilocybin?

-J.J. Shabadoo Jr.

i grow these in my crock pot sometimes after i make stew, and yes they are very crystally and white and shiny, but i doubt they would have any psychedelic effect. it is an interesting idea to grow mushrooms in a pressure cooker though, i have seen people grow them in their apartment. but i think they were started from store bought spores.

The odds of this growing psilocybin mushrooms (or mushrooms at all, you'll probably just get mold) are literally almost zero unless you live in a pasture among already fruiting bodies.. then your odds will go up to about 1%, but having them contaminated is still a guarantee.

I really think you should do some basic wikipedia searches on the mushroom life cycle. They are a living thing that grows from spores and not something that magically pop up with the variety you get depending on your recipe. You CAN get most of the stuff you need to grow from your local wal-mart, but you will need spores from the mushroom you want to grow.

Thanks,
sentient,
abore.

No sekio, this was ten years ago and I don't believe I'd be insane enough to try that again.
We didn't eat the cake back then,
Although we were daring each other.

The answer I still haven't found was what determines the colonization of a given myco?

^^^If you have a sterile substrate, and
Inoc with any combination of different spores,
What determines,
(and there IS a determining factor)
Which myco will take a strong hold?

all youve managed to prove is that stuff grows mold.

Yes.
But whatever kind of mold it was,
It was a controlled growth of a specific mold,
Albeit, unidentified.

I would like to see a pure white myco cake grown,
By following directions that say a pure white myco cake would grow,
Without using any spores,
In a sterile environment,
Where if there were any contams,
Would be black, grey, or green, or brown.

And all the responses in this thread have managed to prove,
Is that OP has grown mold.
(no offense)

The question asked should be the why's.
Think outside the box.
Every answer should be questioned.

Why did my cake turn out white as per said it would?
We don't have to agree that it was psilocybe.

^^^Could we agree that a white cake is what was predicted, and
A white cake is what I got?
So what was the controlling factor?
These are the questions that seperate the inventors from the consumers,
I guess.

Anybody with some credible knowledge?

The OP is playing an excellent poseur, acting as if he believes his 100% impossible bullshit is true, but I agree with suggestion to delete this thread or some gullible 12 your old is gonna think what the hell I'll give it a try, I am so desperate to try tripping, and end up growing some toxic mold and kill himself by accident.

Thanks To All Those Who Pushed Me In The DirectionOf finding The Answer For Myself!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

In natural science, abiogenesis (pronounced /ˌeɪbaɪ.ɵˈdʒɛnɨsɪs/, AY-bye-oh-JEN-ə-siss) or biopoesis is the study of how life arises from inanimate matter through natural processes, and the method by which life on Earth arose. Most amino acids, often called "the building blocks of life", can form via natural chemical reactions unrelated to life, as demonstrated in the Miller–Urey experiment and similar experiments that involved simulating some of the conditions of the early Earth in a laboratory.[1] In all living things, these amino acids are organized into proteins, and the construction of these proteins is mediated by nucleic acids. Which of these organic molecules first arose and how they formed the first life is the focus of abiogenesis.

In any theory of abiogenesis, two aspects of life have to be accounted for: replication and metabolism. The question of which came first gave rise to different types of theories. In the beginning, metabolism-first theories (Oparin coacervate) were proposed, and only later thinking gave rise to the modern, replication-first approach.

In modern, still somewhat limited understanding, the first living things on Earth are thought to be single cell prokaryotes (which lack a cell nucleus), perhaps evolved from protobionts (organic molecules surrounded by a membrane-like structure).[2] The oldest ancient fossil microbe-like objects are dated to be 3.5 Ga (billion years old), approximately one billion years after the formation of the Earth itself.[3][4] By 2.4 Ga, the ratio of stable isotopes of carbon, iron and sulfur shows the action of living things on inorganic minerals and sediments[5][6] and molecular biomarkers indicate photosynthesis, demonstrating that life on Earth was widespread by this time.[7][8]

The sequence of chemical events that led to the first nucleic acids is not known. Several hypotheses about early life have been proposed, most notably the iron-sulfur world theory (metabolism without genetics) and the RNA world hypothesis (RNA life-forms).

Yeah, no.

It could be fucking ANYTHING. I Personally Guarantee your kitchen, no matter how much you Lysol it, isn't 100% sterile. Why did your cake turn white? Because spores got into it and germinated. Why not black, green, or otherwise? Because you got lucky and it turned out to be white.

The determining factor in which mycological species takes hold is whichever one is the most suited to the environment (and thus will out-proliferate or produce toxins that kill off other "mycos"). If you actually bothered to repeat this experiment I'm sure you'd get multicolored mold in at least a few jars.

Abiogenesis (at least in the case of food spoilage) was disproven in the 1800s if not earlier. Saying that spores pop out of precursors found in the agar is as much a falsehood as saying nmaggots come from the decomposition of meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.