• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Expired Albuterol Sulfate for nebulizer use

lasthurrah19

Bluelighter
I've always seen that expired pills are no danger and may just loose potency, but I want to clarify with the albuterol. I have several boxes of this solution with about 50 doses in each, and this stuff isn't exactly cheap from what I remember. Exp. date was in 2005.

I am also supposed to be on Advair Diskus 250/50, however even with my health insurance I cannot afford it until my new drug plan kicks in on Jan 1. So my asthma symptoms are significantly worse than usual, although they are under control and I feel in no grave danger from just using the albuterol solution instead, for now. Generally when I am on the Advair, I only need to use the nebulizer maybe 5-10 times a year.

So, what do you guys think?

I would be surprised if it hadn't lost potency after that long, but it shouldn't be dangerous. My wife uses them, including some fairly old ones. Not that old, well past the expiration date. Personally I'd give it a shot.

Thanks... they do seem to be working, and are of course sterile, so all looks good for now.

Appreciate it :)

I've also used old expired albuterol inhalers and they worked for me. BTW... you can no longer get albuterol inhalers with the same propellant. Apparently, us asthmatics are responsible for putting a hole in the ozone layer and endangering all of humanity. The new eco-friendly spray delivery mechanism sucks ass! So do NOT dump your old inhalers once you can get new ones.

This is actually a solution to be used with a nebulizer, but I get your point. The generic grey inhalers suck ass - I've found that ProAir is a good name brand, but of course it's more expensive any way you pay for it (in the US, anyway). Seriously though, night and day the relief between generic and ProAir.

Last edited: