• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heart palpitations - how long does it last?

miho

Greenlighter
So its been like 20 hours since I last toked up <edit> on meth </edit>, and my heart's still racing like mad. I can even see my shirt shaking nonstop.

Is this normal? How long does your palpitations usually last?
Its not irregular or painful, but soo annoying.

Last edited:
Try some deep breathing exercises, and really focus mentally on relaxation and calming yourself. Try a tension release exercise, google a guided relaxtion sound clip or video. This always worked for me with anxiety related palpitations, hopefully it will work for your palpitations regardless of the cause.

I suspect anxiety would be the primary cause of your symptom(s)... probably exacerbated by the meth use as well as the physiological toll if you haven't gotten the proper rest, nutrition, etc.

EDIT:

I cleaned up the confusion regarding if you're referring to cannabis hence the editing and posts magically disappearing. I made sure nothing important was cut out.

Last edited:
with my magical mod powers i've moved this back to OD.

in the future please only open one thread if you've got numerous questions on the same drug

Hey can you give a little more info? How much did you use, over how long? Have you taken any medications or done any drugs, other than smoke meth? Have you kept up fluids, eaten, slept or if you have been awake for those 20 hours what have you been doing? What is your actual heart rate? The fact that you say you see your shirt shaking makes me think you might be sketching out a little?

well i did smoke quite a lot - a toke every 15 mins for over 3 hours, and it was the first time in a year.
took some benzos (10mg nimetazepam, 2mg ativan), drank plenty of water and snoozed for 1 hour twice during the 20 hours. didnt have much food though.

but its not just this time - i seem to get those crazy heartbeats for at least 24 hours every time i smoke it, even in moderation. i make it a point to take plenty of benzos at comedown but it just doesnt help.
is that normal? or am i just overdoing it all the time? i usually have a fairly low blood pressure.

^Its probably a combination of using far more than your body can tolerate plus anxiety. Do you experience any anxiety at all when you are not using meth?

^ yea i do have a fair bit of anxiety issues normally. i guess you're right, should really moderate the amount in the future.

but just wondering, i know heart palpitation is a normal side effect of meth but does it usually stop upon comedown for normal users?

After effects such as palpitations often last 24 hours and sometimes longer with a sufficient dose. Not everyone experiences this but if you consumed large enough quantities and are sensitive to these side effects (anxiety will make you more prone to that particular one) then this is not uncommon at all.

Last edited:
^^Truth, even having anxiety about having heart palpitations can cause heart palpitations, stimulants make this worse. The problem is once you come down off the stimulants the comedown is usually filled with anxiety as well...making them last longer than the effects of the actual stimulant (methamphetamine in your case) last.

Relax, take benzos if needed, eat something and you'll be fine. :)

yea, if you say you "toked every 15 minutes over 3 hrs" them in my opinion you will probably be feelin the heart palpatation effects for atleast 24 hr's....it could be twice that even.....meth is a very potent drug.

Has it ever occired when your not using drugs?

I used to get palpatations all the time on meth and always put it down to the drug.

Turns out I had Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome the whole time.

Its pretty rare but worth a though as I always pout my palpitations down to my meth abuse, when really I was a walking timebomb!

Argh I wrote out a lengthy detailed reply and then my computer decided to reboot

The abbreviated version: you say your BP is typically low> how low do you mean? low end of normal range or are you talking hypotension? Are you also bradycardic?

I know its easy to assume anxiety as the cause, and it likely is at play but thats a long time to be anxious, especially if you slept a bit and woke up still having palpatations/tachycardia (psst- did you ever take your pulse to check how fast your heart is actually going?)

The reason I want to check this out is because there is a far greater risk of developing an arhythmia when someone goes from being bradycardic and/or hypotensive, to suddenly a prolonged state of tachycardia/ hypertension. Prolonged state would be anything beyond an hour or two for the average person. Ive been in this boat and suffered some cardiac complications, and that was only from excessive caffeine use while being bradycardic an hypotensive with orthostatic hypertension. Its almost impossible to distiguish when something serious is happening or if it is simply anxiety. If you are doing meth you are at risk of a cardiac trauma. With physical exercise ones heart rate typically returns back to normal quite quickly. Stimulants of any kind force the heart to work at an excellerated rate for hours without producing the hormones that signal the body to rest.

Generally it is recomended that when palpitations persist during rest for 4 hours or longer its time to get checked out in hospital. I would think that it might be a good idea if you suspect you might have anything to worry about. It doesnt hurt to verify if it is anxiety, or if the meth is still affecting you and to make sure nothing serious is going on. With a simple EKG and some blood work you can at least alleviate some of that anxiety ;)

If you arent feeling better or if this happens again, I really hope you get checked out.

^You are far too knowledgeable to only have 19 posts here. If you don't stick around and keep posting, this forum will suffer as a result.

OP, please listen to her.

So its been like 20 hours since I last toked up <edit> on meth </edit>, and my heart's still racing like mad. I can even see my shirt shaking nonstop.

Is this normal? How long does your palpitations usually last?
Its not irregular or painful, but soo annoying.

bro it sounds like your having an anxiety attack, kinda like a bad trip, it can last awhile. Unless you have heart problems... If i were you i would go to the ER and get something to help you chill. Or take some xanax.

If nothing else lay down and try to not move maybe you will be able to chill. But the ER sounds best

I know I get a very raised heart rate when I take meth, and raised blood pressure as well. Usually the heart-rate peaks at about 120, BP isn't something I can measure on-the-go but anecdotally it *feels* elevated. I basically just keep an eye on my pulse while I take it, and if it ever gets any higher that's when I decide it's probably a good idea to get a professional's opinion.

I also keep benzo's on hand to help with anxiety (or failing that, Chlorphenamine helps as well, although you must be wary with dosages as anticholinergics can also increase heart rate).

Ok its been a good 50 hour since the session, and heart rate's still at 120/m
my normal blood pressure's 90/60. i'll give it a good night's sleep and get it checked out if it still persists tomorrow.

thanks for all the advises.

Last edited:
Ok its been a good 50 hour since the session, and heart rate's still at 132/m
my normal blood pressure's 90/60. i'll give it a good night's sleep and get it checked out if it still persists tomorrow.

thanks for all the advises.

OK, NOW this looks serious. A blood pressure of 90/60 is pretty darn low, and 132 bpm is fairly extreme tachycardia. After 50 hours its no longer reasonable to chalk it up to anxiety, or even using meth for 3 hours 2 days ago. Dude, go to the frikken hospital, get your lytes checked, get an EKG, let them push some iv fluids if nothing else. You dont even have to mention the meth if that is what is holding you back just go and list your physcial symptoms and let the tests speak for themselves. Please go, because I dont think that you really want to die- and with cardiac issues that go untreated immediately, sometimes the damage done can make death look like one of the better outcomes :\

Im urging you not to wait untill tomorrow. If you are suffering a series of mini-strokes, cardiac arrest or stroke leading to brain damage that can leave you unable to move, talk, eat or even breathe independantly, isnt so unlikely.

GOGOGOGO. Call the paramedics and GO

^the OP probably logged off for the night.... its a long shot, but I sent him a PM with your message hoping that its set up to email him and he might get it sooner so he won't risk waiting any longer to seek medical attention.

Thank you for all the contributions to this thread.

when i was doing meph all the time (yes i know, meph, not meth) my heart flutters/palps woud be known to last for weeks