Letter from customs. Consequences?

TheAzo

Bluelighter
After someone receives the letter from Customs:
A notification that they were trying to import controlled substances (benzos from online pharmacy), and that the package was siezed at customs, and a letter stating that they have the option to contest it, or abandon it (with abandoning it being the default result after 30 days), plus a public service announcement about ordering pills from other countries, and stating that future attempts to import may result in penalties.

At this point, the person receiving this notification is out of the woods for that incident, correct?

At this point, is the person who received this notification now on a customs watch list, with international shipments to them being monitored?

Very good question! I'm curious to see what fellow bluelighters have to say on the issue. From what I understand, it is discretionary as to whether they pursue you or not, bit the "future violations" statement seems to be an empty threat. For personal quantities, that is ;)

I've received one of these before. You're out of the woods, who knows if you're on a watch list though. I wouldn't be surprised, but I imagine the number of people who have had drugs found being imported in the mail is quite high.

The other possibility I immediately thought of was a few years back a few vendors would send out a box with a tear in it and a letter inside from "customs" that was completely fake. Google 'fake' 'seizure' 'letter' 'scam' sort of deal. This is highly possible if its a vendor you're unsure about.

It would be easier for everyone involved but mostly you if you did not contest the seizure and yes they *might* monitor future shipments.

It's customs bro, everything is monitored. Nobody's special. There's no official list to my knowledge, but most likely the government is keeping secret watch list of most people who do drugs

The person is being slapped on the wrist (very gently) and being warned not to do it again. btw

It's customs bro, everything is monitored. Nobody's special. There's no official list to my knowledge, but most likely the government is keeping secret watch list of most people who do drugs

That's a remarkable statement. How is it that customs would not have a watchlist? At least the agency they report to would, to be sure. Of course I'm not sure if you are being facetious about the government watching drug users. That would seem a little paranoid.

Its called a love letter and youre fine. They send these cause the volume of drug traffic through the mail is so large that they cant prosecute every single thing they catch. As for a watch list that sounds a little paranoid but who know this is the US government. If they actually are going to bust you they do something called a controlled delivery where they let the package get to you and have you under surveillence. They watch you pick it up and take it into your house. They wait 5 minutes for you to open it. They break down the door and wave a warrent in your face and you go to prison.