• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

No weed pass, no cannabis, Dutch tell foreigners

I wish I had the money to go there. Wish I had money for anything really. Guess I could shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which fills up faster?

if this law passes, every single coffee shop will have a dutch guy outside of it with a sign saying 'will buy weed for tourists'.

Other European countries are forcing the Dutch to make their pot illegal to foreigners because the surrounding European countries are losing profits from their illegal drug dealings. Their citizens aren't buying their pot so they are forcing the dutch to make it illegal.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard

if this law passes, every single coffee shop will have a dutch guy outside of it with a sign saying 'will buy weed for tourists'.
The problem is if the open air scene in the Dam isafe the way the open air scene used to be for hard drugs than you will get ripped off with overpriced oure quality crap. Better off staying home which is the intention of the law. CA has no such problem in the dispensaries, from what I've heard for the most part- quality varies. They have amsterdam, we have Oaksterdam and docs and dispensaries are easy to locate in most of the big counties. Plus the hard drugs in Mexico are cheap and decriminalized for small amounts. Kinda like Platzspitz park, Zurich which had a huge tolerated open air market from 86-92'. This led to the evolution of the Swiss Harm Reduction and government subsidized heroin maintenace. Southern California beaches like pacific beach in San Diego are unreal with beautiful people near the pier and canabis is tolerated in OB in general- there are Hostels near the beach in both areas. One used to be like on top or adjacent to a dispensary- but the flip side is the feds like closing them down (docs can you refer you to one thats open, good quality, Holland has Amsterdam, California has Oaksterdam.

But the bottom line is our tourist economy is in a slump and like I said we need the money. Maybe Greece should study decriminalization and bringing back the Tekedes (Hash Cafe's of the 1920's.) That whole scene launched a whole genre of Greek music, Rembetiko, the Music that is often associated with bouzouki. This is the Greek version of the blues (that was also cannabis influenced.)

As an aside, I've been to Saint Martin/ San Maarten (how ever you spell) which is split between the dutch and French in the caribean. The residents of the Dutch side were indiferent or almost hostile regarding dutch rule, the French seemed to like their French identity. The Paradox, we didn't find any buds (in 06' when i still tooked) on the dutch side but it was very easy to find on the French side by a nude beach, the exact opposite of what you would expect from the continent. Doesn't seem the dutch treat their possessions overseas as well as the French. Anybody else have this experience or have any theories about this? Their kindom's possessions in the Carribean are quickly disolving ties to the dutch queen.

0erry christmas and a Happy (western) New Year.

Right... He'll get you your weed and walk straight to his crack dealer to get his fix after he's served you. This is a great initiative for the homeless.. Thank you, Geert, Maxime and Mark (our honorable leaders)!!

edit: It's got to be said that the only reason they are able to push this through is the harsher drug laws in basically every country in the world. We wouldn't have the problems in the south if laws were the same. And it's not like we're giving out any of the free maintenence heroin to tourists either.

Holland has years of history and culture. That alone should be reason enough for a trip.

Not for the people who just come here to buy drugs and have a good time. Most of the drug tourism comes from neighbouring countries anyways. Do you really think that those people will choose to go to California instead of Holland? One is accesible with a car the other with a plane. Yeah right. Enough with the advertisements already dude.

I am British and live in Utrecht, the 4th largest city of the Nederlands. I am happy to report that i have not seen or heard anything of this law anywhere! I generally see more non dutch in the coffeeshops, and the people working there are more then happy to serve anyone over 18. In fact most of the people working there are NOT DUTCH!!!. I don't see how this could be enforced on the dutch people. Every i have spoken to think that the coffeeshop system is a good thing and makes them feel their country stands alone as being a haven for freedom of choice, similar to how they feel about their prostitution laws.

The same cannot be said for their immigration laws, they all seem to agree those need to be addressed. They seem to hate how some immigrants, perticularly Morrocan youths, have not intergrated into dutch culture.

"A ruling from the EU's top court could mark the end of the Netherlands' welcoming coffee-shop culture"

'For more than thirty years tourists have flocked to the Netherlands to indulge in a legal high courtesy of the country's famously soft stance on weed. An estimated two million Britons alone visit Amsterdam each year with hundreds of thousands peeling off to sample some of the pungent goods inside one of the city's ubiquitous coffeeshops. Small border cities, meanwhile, can expect as many as three quarters of their regulars to be foreign. Maastricht – a southern offshoot of the Netherlands sandwiched between Belgium and Germany – receives an astonishing 2.1million drug tourists a year.

But the free-wheeling dope days may soon be over for British visitors if the Netherlands' new centre-right coalition government has its way. Following growing complaints over rising crime in the country's border towns – and a string of recent drug-related shootings in the south – the Dutch government has signaled its intention to ban foreigners from buying cannabis altogether.

Tomorrow [THURS], following a request for advise from the Holland's highest court, the European Court of Justice will decide whether such a ban contravenes European law, where free trade rules forbid discriminating against purchasers on grounds of nationality.

Confident of a favourable verdict stating that drugs are not subject to the same rules as legal goods, Justice and Security Minister Ivo Opstelten has already announced a plan to turn the country's 700 coffeehouses into private members clubs, effectively making them out of bounds for foreigners.

Coffeshop owners say they'll fight such moves in the courts and warn that any further attempt to crack down on the legal sale of cannabis will simply force people into the hands of criminals.'

'Banning sales to foreigners, meanwhile, might halt some of the traffic and crime problems in the border towns, but it would also deprive such areas of a major source of revenue in difficult economic times. An independent study in Maastricht commissioned by the coffeshops estimated that “drug tourists” bring in 141m euros a year. “That's the spend outside of the coffeeshops,” says Mr Josemans. “It doesn't even include the money they spend in here.”

Sitting in the office above his coffeeshop, a joint in had, Mr Josemans knows he has a fight on his hands. “Politicians have come at us before, but never like this,” he says. “I just hope they're thinking about the long term future. Not just looking for a quick way to win quick votes”.'

UK Independent

By Jerome Taylor in Maastricht
Wednesday, 15 December 2010

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/no-weed-pass-no-cannabis-dutch-tell-foreigners-2160631.html

Hi,

while a lot of the college crowd spend a LOT of time in the coffee shops I'd say the VAST majority of visitors to the Netherlands while the visit a coffeeshop or two during their stay do a LOT more than sit around and smoke dope...

even if it was a major reason for them to come.

but Paris, or Rome, or Florence are prettier cities, with better food, drink, etc.

London's museums are mainly even FREE...and I'm told it's not hard to cop (though quite frankly I haven't tried... I'd already "stocked up" in Amsterdam)

but really... the coffee shops are pretty tame now... they even have butchered them to have enclosed smoking rooms (which really screws up what had been some really nice/pretty/gezelliq(sp?) places...

the one that tics me off the most is the Grasshopper on N.Z.Voorburgwaal (yea mainly a tourist spot) where to comply with the new demands for glassed off "smoking rooms" totally screwed up the really beautiful sun room in front which the owner had re-invested quite a bit in over the years... booths with glass dividers, newspaper racks over the seats so you could share your just read paper, etc...

I know I've spend many a morning having a coffee, orange juice, and a pastry there while reading the newspaper (and yea to be honest probably rolling a joint for later)

you do not need a "smoking room" in a coffeeshop!

you know why you're there, if you work there you know it's a smoking establishment (supposedly the smoking room thing is so that employees aren't exposed to secondhand smoke... you know if they're non-smokers (yea right))
:X

The "winds of change" have been blowing hard for a number of now so I don't see much give on this from Geert Wilders.

If the goverment can stay together then it will go thur and maybe just maybe they'll work out something for cities like Amsterdam.

My Dutch friends say its just a matter of time before Geert Wilders calls for a outright closing of all coffeeshops.
such as>
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2010/12/maastricht_mayor_opposes_soft.php

Before anybody says it won't happen just look at the mushroom ban, everybody said "it can't happen" but it did.

Finally its their country to run as they see fit.

I've been going to NL since 94 and try to visit 1-2per yr , if this ruling goes thur it will no effect on my visits.

At least now I won't have to hear other people talk about "that shit I smoked in Amsterdam." There's plenty of amazing buds in ohio. mmmhmmm.

High crime isn't due to Dutch policies. It's due to neighbouring countries' policies that clash with the Netherlands' and lead to drug violence, pushing smuggling etc

Am i seriously the only one who sees that? 8)

^ Technically, cannabis isn't legal in The Netherlands either... and the supply to the coffeeshops is in a black zone no different to any black market.

Well since lots of the tourists who come to Holland to get high behaves like pigs (esp british) I am not surprised. And lets not forget that stupid french bitch who couse ban on shrooms. So I understand that normal dutch people would support this such
law.

^ Technically, cannabis isn't legal in The Netherlands either... and the supply to the coffeeshops is in a black zone no different to any black market.

True. It seems a lot like California in that regard; instead of cafes with dispensaries

People (in the industry, middlemen etc) divert large quantities of the medical mj here to other states (where medical marijuana and marijuana decriminalization don't exist) and up the price, which upsets me as these are the kinds of idiots who abuse a generous liberal system and cause setbacks

Mind you this is just one example out of many