• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why is there fluoride in SSRIs

HT harm redux

Bluelighter
I came across a thread about someone wanting to discontinue their Celexa because it had fluoride in it. which led me to look it up and find that most common SSRI's nowdays have fluoride in them. I thought ingesting this was dangerous, hence why we are not supposed to swallow toothpaste. Can anyone tell me why fluoride is in most common SSRIs today? including celexa, paxil, and prozac? wouldnt the fluoride be ingested with the pill and wouldnt that be bad for ones body? does anyone have and answer? I found this on a website

"Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI) drugs are commonly prescribed to treat depression.

These drugs incorporate fluorine into their chemical structure.

Brand Name Generic Name
Celexa ‣ citalopram
Lexapro ‣ escitalopram oxalate
Luvox ‣ fluvoxamine maleate
Paxil ‣ paroxetine
Prozac ‣ fluoxetine
Zoloft ‣ sertraline (chlorine instead of fluorine)

The drugs are designed to block metabolism of the neurotransmitter serotonin. The result is increased serotonin.

It appears this may not be a good approach. Excess of a neurotransmitter makes it excitotoxic.

This is significant because depression is an excitotoxic condition -- it is the result of excess glutamate activation in the frontal cortex of the brain (basis here and here). Manipulating the level of serotonin does not address the underlying problem of excess glutamate. Instead it simply adds burden to the degenerative condition already underway. Recent research indicates that genetic variability in glutamate activity can make a significant number of people more sensitive to SSRI effects, including a much higher likelihood of expressing suicidal thoughts.

Serotonin receptors exist throughout the body. Altering the level of serotonin affects the entire body, not just the brain. Elevated serotonin is associated with

Agitation
Altered REM sleep behavior
Alzheimer's
Anxiety
Autism spectrum disorders
Depression
Exhibitionism
Hostility
Impulsive behavior
Insomnia
Mental retardation
Mood disorders (wild mood swings)
Nightmares
Organic brain disease
Psychosis
Reckless driving
Schizophrenia
Substance abuse
Suicide
Violence

Several things happen as the SSRI forces a constant excitotoxic state -- serotonin receptors die off, serotonin levels become depleted, and a cascade of metabolic disruption takes place. The person becomes acutely worse. Additional conditions SSRI's have been shown to directly trigger include

Angina pectoris
Atrial fibrillation
Bone fractures
Cardiac arrhythmia
Congestive heart failure
Diarrhea
Dystonia
Gastrointestinal distress
Hemorrhages
Hypertension
Hypotension
Migraine syncope
Mood swings
Myocardial infarction
Nausea
Obesity
Osteoporosis
Seizures
Sexual dysfunction
Tachycardia
Trigeminy
Vascular headache
Vomiting

Also, any SSRI crosses the placenta and exposes the fetus to its effects.

There are hundreds of high-profile cases of murders, suicides, school shootings, incidents of workplace violence, road rage and other events -- all tied to the use of prescription SSRI drugs. "

Source ( http://www.sailhome.org/Concerns/Bod.../Fluoride.html )

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/

Nazi's used flouride to keep jewish prisoners "dumbed down" and "complacent" apparently..

Since world war 2 finished (and Nazi research had been handed over / stolen) we have had flouride put in our water supply. Go figure.

I don't disbelieve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy#Conspiracy_theories <-this. (Not saying thats 100% right.. there are other things that could be going on or other reasons for it but i think the overall reason for flouridation of water is to control the masses (or atleast keep them more complacent))

Government: It helps fight cavities. Research: No it doesn't.

^government: fluoride replaces hydroxide in apatite increasing hardness of teeth
its true

and they do not contain "fluoride"
they have covalently bonded fluorines in their structure.
several also have cyano groups, but it doesn't mean they have the same effect as hydrogen cyanide.

those conspiracy theories are ill informed and unfounded.

nice response. thats the kind of responses im looking for on here. and with 27 million people taking SSRIs in 2005, that number has probably gone up exponentially by now. It really makes you wonder. Why put a poison in something thats supposed to make you less depressed when it can do all these things listed above? Im going to talk to my pyschiatrist and see what he says the reason for all the fluoride based antidepressants are. but I dont see him again until jan 2011 so i wont get an answer from him for some time. maybe someone on here can find out sooner. hopefully people will read this thread and really think

I assume this is your first time looking at a molecular diagram?

I am going to let you know about an even more diabolical government conspiracy - look again at the citalopram molecule - it contains BENZENE one of the most carcinogenic mind controlling chemicals known!

Care to link me to a source that supports this?

I doubt he can, NMDA receptors have been associated with depression but this is far from evidence that depression is a exitoxic condition, but this thread is full of nonesense anyway.

Yeah i thought the flouride in SSRI's would simply be a part of the overal chemical..

But flouride's health issues have been documented time and time again. It slowly builds up in bodies with ill effects. Did anyone ask the government for mass medication? Nazies used it in concentration camps to keep inmates docile and then post WW2 it's being put into our water supply.. makes sense. You know, calcium, iron, etc all have health benefits too..

^ point to one study that shows that fluoride makes people complacent
I imagine that the lack of food, water, shelter, possessions, family, freedom, and dignity contributed to complacency in concentration camps

^ point to one study that shows that fluoride makes people complacent
I imagine that the lack of food, water, shelter, possessions, family, freedom, and dignity contributed to complacency in concentration camps

i agree with you there. im not trying to start a conspiracy thing here , im just wondering why most SSRIs are fluoride based when we were taught and a very young age not to ingest them

^ It's well known that Stalin and Hitler used flouride on inmates for that reason..

This thread reminds me of the movie Dr.strangelove alot. Have you ever seen a commie drink water? No and not without good reason either =D

so some people think that the gov. is trying to control the population with our water supply and antidepressants? i had no idea that that was even a conspiracy until today. i was just wondering why a harmful substance was in antidepressants.

^ Probably not anti-depressants.. they're good for big pharmaceutical companies to make more moneys :p

gotta love the pharmaceutical companies. they make what we need (sometimes) then charge millions to people who may or may not need certain things. but we play along

I agree with you, my grandpa was given nitroglycerine for stroke prevention and as you can imagine the next day his heart exploded out of his chest, and the woman standing next to him suddenly had an abortion.
Man, those evil evil governments...

Pharms are evil, and as an act of self-humanity we should all rebel to the system and go eat whatever kinds of plants or funghi given to us by mother nature to cure ourselves.
It's naaaaaatureeeeeeewl!!!

i wouldnt mind making some poppy tea here and there . that always settled my nerves and relieved my pain. The pharm. companies definitely dont have our best interest at their heart of our money. thats why we will never cure cancer our alzheimers or aids. because there is more money in treating the symptoms than finding a cure. sadly thats how the world works

please go study some chemestry and pharmacology before precipitously making naive assumptions similar to the following:

"Vitamin C is a name for ascorbic ACID, acid dissolves things, therefore vitamin C is harmfull"

Certainly the farm advertizing is over the top sometimes and in some occasions they failed to report the relative risk of some substances on certain individuals but thinking they are just there to poison and scam us is a pretty unintelligent statement.

Ugh. This thread is so full of pseudoscientific nonsense...

It's well known that Stalin and Hitler used flouride on inmates for that reason..

Source? And no, a conspiracy site doesn't count.

Ok, to clear things up, there are 3 concepts that need to be separated here:

1) Elemental fluorine, F2, a very very toxic gas. This is not included in antidepressants, nor is it in drinking water or toothpaste.

2) Fluoride ion, F-, a water-soluble compound - in small concentrations is not harmful in any way, and is beneficial for teeth: it converts the outer layer of tooth enamel to fluoroapatite which forms a protective layer for teeth. Is added to toothpaste & tap water for this reason, not for any kind of mind control bs...

3) Organofluorides, ie. organic compounds that include fluoride: there are many, many, many pharmaceuticals that contain a fluorine atom in their structure. It is usually attached to an aromatic ring, in which it stays very tightly, aromatic fluorine compounds do not release any elemental fluorine nor fluoride ions to the body.

I didn`t think I even needed to explain this, but the fact that a particular atom or chemical moiety exists within a larger molecule does not mean that the larger molecule adopts the properties of said atom or moiety. Sometimes, it does. Most of the time, it doesn`t.

If a fluorine atom is not released during metabolism and stays locked up within the molecule, there is no danger of fluoride toxicity. This is why (as aforementioned) a benzene ring exists within countless thousands of pharmaceuticals taken daily by people without any danger of cancer or bone marrow toxicity. The benzene ring is never released. Naproxen (Aleve) contains a napthalene moiety, but no free napthalene is released into the body.

Similarly, no fluoride is released into the body when one takes these SSRI drugs. This doesn`t happen.