• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sulazepam

Alright, thanks for all the replies so far.

Regarding etizolam, the sulfur is a part of a thiophene ring in place of benzene. Sulazepam is simply diazepam with sulfur in the position of the oxygen, and this is really why this drug piqued my interest initially.

I'm going to give it a shot, if I can hammer out the details, that is. If anyone can chime in more on what expected effects substituting sulfur for oxygen on diazepam would be, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, we still need an answer to this question:

The first question is does the tioketone have activity or is sulazepam simply a prodrug for diazepam?

The thioamides seem to be much less active & the T1/2 is shorter because the S gets oxidized. Useful for forming the triazolo ring (like alprazolam). Acetyl hydrazine gives a yield of 78%.

EDIT Of course the ring-formation needs a secondary amide. Oh, and the 2,2,2 trifluroethyl substitution makes the compounds very GABA subtype specific - muscle relaxant rather than anxiolytic or hypnotic.

Last edited:
Interesting that the 2,2,2 tri-fluroethyl substitution would make it into more of a muscle relaxant.

This article talks about Quazepam, \
[7-chloro- 5-(2-fluorophenyl)- 1-(2,2,2-trifluoroethyl)- 1,3-dihydro- 2H -1,4-benzodiazepin- 2-thione], in relation to treatment for insomnia and not disrupting overall sleep architecture.

If the above article is valid, it would negate some of what I earlier thought about the thio-benzo derivatives not proving useful for maintaining proper sleep.

The thioamides are less active than the amides. The 2+ S seems to undergo oxidation to 4+ so the metabolic pathway is different. It is a common step in the synthesis of 4-ring benzos, in fact it is the step that causes the most headaches. That these intermediates are not themselves controlled suggests that a secondary thioamides are not very active.